- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed with juices
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled
-Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
-Add the broth; increase heat to high and stir to loosen any browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
-Stir in the (uncooked) rice, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
-Add the shrimp to the top without stirring; cover and continue to cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes. Stir to combine the shrimp with the rice.
-Discard the bay leaf and serve immediately.
Easy as pie!!!!