Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

coffee snobbery

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet
ChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiveOn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ChiveOn's Tacoma Gallery
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is my go to coffee right now....mmmmmmm so good.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

I use these for my coffee. I roast my own beans too. I think it makes a big difference, fresh, no plastic taste like a drip drip drip coffee maker creates.
+1 for having standards.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #23
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I use these for my coffee. I roast my own beans too. I think it makes a big difference, fresh, no plastic taste like a drip drip drip coffee maker creates.
I only recently started getting into the world of coffee and can also only taste "good" or "bad". Started with an Aeropress and a whirly-blade grinder. Got a burr grinder last year and that made a huge difference in the quality of the cup, to the point that I can't stand the stuff that comes out of the K-cup machines at work anymore. That said, the best cup of coffee that I've had was a pourover from a breakfast place in Chicago and since then I've wanted to try pourover brewing, whether it's a Chemex or a Hario or whatever. I just wish I had the cabinet space in the kitchen
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I love coffee, but please tell what this is
Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
there is no way i would manually pour a cup before work. i am scrambling out the door as it is..

coffeesnob..you do that daily?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shit son, my day doesn't start till I've had a decent cup of coffee. How can I save others if I don't save my tastebuds?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPreRunner View Post
I love coffee, but please tell what this is

These are Chemax brand coffee makers

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

I think the big ones cost about $50.00 bucks and the filters cost $8.95 for 100 of them. I used the unbleached filters. It takes longer to make coffee with these baby's but well worth the extra few minutes. I heat my water with a chefs pot I bought at Target http://www.target.com/p/chef-s-choic...term=chefs+pot

They heat water pretty quick . I roast my beans with this baby
http://www.amazon.com/FreshRoast-SR5.../dp/B0034D9ONO

and buy green beans from different sources unfortunately around here there are not too many places to buy green beans and Sumatra (my fav) to boot. Now get out there and start drinking a real cup a joe..
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
These are Chemax brand coffee makers

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/

I think the big ones cost about $50.00 bucks and the filters cost $8.95 for 100 of them. I used the unbleached filters. It takes longer to make coffee with these baby's but well worth the extra few minutes. I heat my water with a chefs pot I bought at Target http://www.target.com/p/chef-s-choic...term=chefs+pot

They heat water pretty quick . I roast my beans with this baby
http://www.amazon.com/FreshRoast-SR5.../dp/B0034D9ONO

and buy green beans from different sources unfortunately around here there are not too many places to buy green beans and Sumatra (my fav) to boot. Now get out there and start drinking a real cup a joe..
Thanks man, that's awesome I may have to go order one
Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My wife and I are going to try one of these Chemex carafes. One of the biggest deals is that the average automativc drip maker does not get hot enought to boil the water, which is important.

We got one of these for camping. It has a spring-loaded stopper, feet to stop the stopper from openeing when on a counter, and a lid. You pour the boiling water in, put the lid on, and let it steep for 4 minutes. Then you put it on top of your mug, which opens the plunger, and the coffer flows down into your mug. Some of the best coffee we've had period.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, and we just bought one of these bad-boy burr grinders
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post

Nice. That's my next purchase. My folks have one and it makes all the difference in the world. I want to steal it from them...

How I roll at work.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
there is no way i would manually pour a cup before work. i am scrambling out the door as it is..

coffeesnob..you do that daily?

Yes I do I generally get up about 4:30 and leave about 6:40 so I have plenty of time to make a good ole mug for my eye opener and also enough for my themos cup to drink on the way into to town.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
that's exactly what I have nice and fairly quiet too
Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #35

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Nice. That's my next purchase. My folks have one and it makes all the difference in the world. I want to steal it from them...

How I roll at work.
It's a lot better, anda magnitude less messy, than my old Krups burr.

And for the life of me, I hate cleaning French presses. Not worth it for me.

You should check out the little Clever (brand) one-mug thing I posted above. There are two sizes, 10 oz and 18 oz, or whatever the fuck that is in Kunadian. Check out vid here.

http://prima-coffee.com/brewer/cleve...e-dripper-abid
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
I like my coffee like I like my women, sweet, creamy, and refillable.

I roast my own beans and generally drip brew because of laziness and convenience. Someone asked if temperature really mattered...HELL yea. The water temp, the duration of extraction, the rate of extraction.....all contribute and sometimes dramatically. The grind also makes a huge difference, as does the filter used, amount of time you let the cup rest, time after roasting, position of Mars relative to Jupiter.....well, not as much. The best cup I've ever had was from my brother's friend who is insane about perfecting the process. It took about 20 minutes to get a friggin' cup outa the man, but holy crap it was spectacular.

I can also roast the same beans to the same level of roast but change the roast time and get a different flavor. The same beans can taste like hay, to fruity tea, to cocoa, and all the way to burnt crap in about a minute while roasting. I like it between fruity and cocoa.

Damn, now I need to go press a cup...OK. This cup from the same batch of beans I brewed this morning tastes totally different because I used the french press instead of the dripper. It also changes flavor every day after roasting, I rarely go more than a week and usually less.

All said, I'm no snob or pro. I can't tell you this cup has notes of white honey, toffee, kumquat, pomello, watermelon, and toasted hazelnut with a weighty mouthfeel or that It'll display richer cocoa expressions at darker roast levels.....but that's what it says right here on the bag of raw beans so it must be true. I can't tell you for sure what the ideal roast temp. or time is nor do I know exactly what day after roasting it'll reach it's peak flavor. I can generally roast and brew something I'd rather drink over anything locally available and every girl I've given to likes it a lot; that's about all that matters to me.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Enjoying my Nespresso right now
sounds good do you buy this at a café?
Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
I like my coffee like I like my women, sweet, creamy, and refillable.

I roast my own beans and generally drip brew because of laziness and convenience. Someone asked if temperature really mattered...HELL yea. The water temp, the duration of extraction, the rate of extraction.....all contribute and sometimes dramatically. The grind also makes a huge difference, as does the filter used, amount of time you let the cup rest, time after roasting, position of Mars relative to Jupiter.....well, not as much. The best cup I've ever had was from my brother's friend who is insane about perfecting the process. It took about 20 minutes to get a friggin' cup outa the man, but holy crap it was spectacular.

I can also roast the same beans to the same level of roast but change the roast time and get a different flavor. The same beans can taste like hay, to fruity tea, to cocoa, and all the way to burnt crap in about a minute while roasting. I like it between fruity and cocoa.

Damn, now I need to go press a cup...OK. This cup from the same batch of beans I brewed this morning tastes totally different because I used the french press instead of the dripper. It also changes flavor every day after roasting, I rarely go more than a week and usually less.

All said, I'm no snob or pro. I can't tell you this cup has notes of white honey, toffee, kumquat, pomello, watermelon, and toasted hazelnut with a weighty mouthfeel or that It'll display richer cocoa expressions at darker roast levels.....but that's what it says right here on the bag of raw beans so it must be true. I can't tell you for sure what the ideal roast temp. or time is nor do I know exactly what day after roasting it'll reach it's peak flavor. I can generally roast and brew something I'd rather drink over anything locally available and every girl I've given to likes it a lot; that's about all that matters to me.
Youre' the man!!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #39
You don't frighten us, English pig dogs!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I also use the Vacuum Brewers. I've got a Bodum stovetop unit that does 8 cups. Love that thing; best coffee ever. I don't roast my own beans (yet), but I always grind them fresh myself. I wouldn't mind roasting them myself; can you recommend a method? I've heard that using an air-pop popcorn maker does a good job of it, and I already have one of those...
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #40
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonziGT230 View Post
but that's what it says right here on the bag of raw beans so it must be true.

Products Discussed in this Thread