Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

coffee snobbery

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
I also use the Vacuum Brewers. I've got a Bodum stovetop unit that does 8 cups. Love that thing; best coffee ever. I don't roast my own beans (yet), but I always grind them fresh myself. I wouldn't mind roasting them myself; can you recommend a method? I've heard that using an air-pop popcorn maker does a good job of it, and I already have one of those...
The machine I use is similar to a popcorn maker but more powerful and it has a chaff collector. I have heard that you can use a popcorn maker and would be interested in how it performs. You can also roast them in an oven but I have never done that.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #42
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I made a pot of cafe du monde this morning, I love that stuff and now I'm drinking java city on campus and it's terrible why can't schools have good coffee
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #43
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
The machine I use is similar to a popcorn maker but more powerful and it has a chaff collector. I have heard that you can use a popcorn maker and would be interested in how it performs. You can also roast them in an oven but I have never done that.
The oven seems like it'd be messy. Don't the beans jump when they pop? I'm picturing oven-shrapnel, like uncovered popcorn....

I have an old popcorn popper where you put the popcorn in an oiled pan and it's got a little wand that circulates to keep the popcorn from burning...I wonder if that'd work for coffee roasting if I just used it dry...

I'm hearing the seductive siren call of an urge to experiment!
Old 09-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #44
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It's a lot better, anda magnitude less messy, than my old Krups burr.

And for the life of me, I hate cleaning French presses. Not worth it for me.

You should check out the little Clever (brand) one-mug thing I posted above. There are two sizes, 10 oz and 18 oz, or whatever the fuck that is in Kunadian. Check out vid here.

http://prima-coffee.com/brewer/cleve...e-dripper-abid
I take the same approach to french presses that I do with tea pots. Rinse them out and lightly wash. (I don't wash tea pots, just rinse and airdry.) But I don't go to town on it.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #45
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
The oven seems like it'd be messy. Don't the beans jump when they pop? I'm picturing oven-shrapnel, like uncovered popcorn....

I have an old popcorn popper where you put the popcorn in an oiled pan and it's got a little wand that circulates to keep the popcorn from burning...I wonder if that'd work for coffee roasting if I just used it dry...

I'm hearing the seductive siren call of an urge to experiment!
I love the smell of hot shrapnel in the morning. It smells like...victory...
Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #46
Total Automotive Performance
Chas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedChas of MRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chas
Chas of MRT's Tacoma Gallery
Portland lol. I prefer my coffee without the snobbery. Pour over elitists don't have shit on the Kyoto cold brew coffee anyway
Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I love the smell of hot shrapnel in the morning. It smells like...victory...
Yeah, until the girlfriend sees what I did to the oven...
Then it smells like oven cleaner and criticisms of my critical thinking skills.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
I love coffee! I also really like beer and brew my own. It took a long time to tell the difference between a good beer and a bad beer, personal preference of course. It's taken me about the same amount of time to train my pallet for coffee. I still don't have wine down and a cheap bottle of Cab tastes great to me.

As for coffee I'll drink any of it for the most part but I really enjoy a good cup. I grew up and work in the lumber/building industry so to me a cheap cup of hot coffee has a special place in my heart, even the bad stuff. When it's all you have to keep you warm in a 38 degree rainy day in January in Seattle ... you'll take it.

I've been wanting to pick up a burr grinder but haven't yet. We have a small local place that I love to buy my beans from. They ship anywhere and promise to ship it within 48 hours of being roasted. I highly recommend you give them a shot. (My dad actually built the place for them, I sold him most of the lumber)

http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com/

Overall I think Starbucks is all bitter. My wife works there and they give their employees free coffee weekly so I drink a lot of it. It's over rated but not bad for mass production.

I like the Aeropress or the french press we have at work. If you get the temperature of the water right both of those make a great cup of coffee.

Here's Camano Islands coffee brewing guide: http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com/co...brewing-guide/
Old 09-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #49
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
I love coffee! I also really like beer and brew my own. It took a long time to tell the difference between a good beer and a bad beer, personal preference of course. It's taken me about the same amount of time to train my pallet for coffee. I still don't have wine down and a cheap bottle of Cab tastes great to me.

As for coffee I'll drink any of it for the most part but I really enjoy a good cup. I grew up and work in the lumber/building industry so to me a cheap cup of hot coffee has a special place in my heart, even the bad stuff. When it's all you have to keep you warm in a 38 degree rainy day in January in Seattle ... you'll take it.

I've been wanting to pick up a burr grinder but haven't yet. We have a small local place that I love to buy my beans from. They ship anywhere and promise to ship it within 48 hours of being roasted. I highly recommend you give them a shot. (My dad actually built the place for them, I sold him most of the lumber)

http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com/

Overall I think Starbucks is all bitter. My wife works there and they give their employees free coffee weekly so I drink a lot of it. It's over rated but not bad for mass production.

I like the Aeropress or the french press we have at work. If you get the temperature of the water right both of those make a great cup of coffee.

Here's Camano Islands coffee brewing guide: http://www.camanoislandcoffee.com/co...brewing-guide/

Another plus with roasting your own beans you can get it a little cheaper.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #50
Gearhead
DonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDonziGT230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Oscar
DonziGT230's Tacoma Gallery
The old stovetop whirly-pop popcorn popper indeed makes a good roaster, it's all I use. You can do them in the oven and recently talked to an old timer that did his on a cast iron skillet stirring with a wooden spoon. If it does make a mess of the oven it's easy to clean up as long as there's no sticky goo in there to hold the chaff.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #51
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I am thinking right now is what is the special flavor at the local bagel shop this week. And the fact that I am stuck here and can't wait for the rest of the day guys to get here so I can have one of them get me a coffee. And I take it light and sweet.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #55
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Coffee should be hot and caffeinated, other than that I don't honestly care.

Tea, however...
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #57
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thermos + drive to any car Dealership with good coffee (they are out there) = coffee for the day (refill late afternoon before going home to have coffee for morning) I haven't bought coffee in over 3 years. I'm a cheap Bastard.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #58
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Thermos + drive to any car Dealership with good coffee (they are out there) = coffee for the day (refill late afternoon before going home to have coffee for morning) I haven't bought coffee in over 3 years. I'm a cheap Bastard.
How much do you spend on fuel and wear and tear?
Old 09-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #59
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I drive by car dealerships all day and some have bagels and muffins, too! I figure I've saved at least 4k. I drink ALOT of coffee.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #60
scheide is on a distinguished road
scheide's Tacoma Gallery
My physcopath boss at work drinks literally 15-20 coffee mugs of coffee a day. Don't matter if its 100 degrees out of below zero, he's drinking it. The girls it the office have an assembly line of coffee filters filled to load up when the pot runs dry. Probably why he is a physopath. I would just love to take his coffee away from him for 1 day.

Products Discussed in this Thread