Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

coffee snobbery

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
coffee snobbery

i just got back from Portland OR. visiting.

from what i can tell during my short visit, they love 3 things up there. in no particular order,..Beer, Coffee, and bicycles.

i love me a good cup of coffee. i admit, my taste-buds are not that sophisticated where i could start telling the differences. i taste "good" and "bad". simple. i ordered a few cups of coffee, where a person takes perfectly heated water, and drizzles it into a coffee filter perched over a cup or jar. was it good? yes!! i imagine if i had several different cups next to each other, i could pick out nuances and characteristics..but solo? no way.

one shop guy gave me the dirtiest look when i said what he was doing isn't a whole lot different from what a drip coffee maker does. it drizzles hot water over coffee grounds..no? i thought he was going to ask us to leave. ahhaha.

coffee experts, chime in please.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I like my coffee like I like my women. Tall, strong, and black.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
..............and bitter
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
On an episode of Bazaar foods last night he was in Seattle discussing a 20k espresso machine. He admitted that the temperature and pressure during the making did change the flavor. Also the temperature at which the water is introduced to the grounds also seemed to make a difference.
Now this was also with beans that cost $100/lb, something my taste buds won't be experiencing.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That's not any different than WINE .....

Personally, I'm not an aficionado of anything. Coffee? It's bitter to me. I have to saturate it with lots of sugar. Beer? I like fruity light beers - I can't drink bitter & hoppy beers. Wine? It tastes bitter to me also. The only wine I can tolerate is White Zinfandel and Moscato.

It's all a matter of what you like or dislike in terms of taste.

My tongue just doesn't enjoy bitterness..... Apparently, 90% of the country/world enjoys bitterness.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
obscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud ofobscurotron has much to be proud of
obscurotron's Tacoma Gallery
Face it. 98% of the world drinks coffee for One Reason Only: The Drug. They want their caffeine and that's their ritualistic way of getting it every day. I'm in the 98%. If the coffee doesn't taste like absolute garbage, I will drink it. I will get my dose of caffeine. I will start the day without killing anyone or wishing them (great) bodily harm.

The Drug can come from Starbucks, McDonalds (they actually have good coffee), my local donut shop (again, decent coffee), a couple of local gas stations (they actually make the stuff fresh where I go) or at home. Peet's may suck my left nut, gently, twice.

The best coffee I ever done had was a couple years ago in the middle of deer season. Day (morning) 4 of 8 in camp. 3am. Go for the 2nd tin of coffee I packed. Which, I guess, I didn't pack. F*ck. Go hunting all day with No Drug. That afternoon it's too hot to hunt, make a run to Markleeville General Store. Went in for hot coffee - they were all out. Cute gal behind counter goes and makes me a fresh pot, gives me a fresh cup, fills my thermos and sells me a pound of coffee for camp. I would have married her if I wasn't already.

Like I said, it's about The Drug.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
I heard Kopi is pretty good...... :-O
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
junglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjunglefighter25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Airborne Infantryman
Name: Bob
junglefighter25's Tacoma Gallery
The last thing in the world that I will give up is good coffee. I am a serious coffee snob. My wife got me hooked when I moved to Seattle, and ever since, I will turn my nose up at crap coffee.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post

That's not necessarily a true statement.

Caffeine comes in sodas and a shitstorm of energy drinks.

I prefer to drink sodas for my pick-me-up.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
And I too like my women like my coffee, all over my crotch when I'm driving.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QGnWnFWoxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i just got back from Portland OR. visiting.

from what i can tell during my short visit, they love 3 things up there. in no particular order,..Beer, Coffee, and bicycles.

i love me a good cup of coffee. i admit, my taste-buds are not that sophisticated where i could start telling the differences. i taste "good" and "bad". simple. i ordered a few cups of coffee, where a person takes perfectly heated water, and drizzles it into a coffee filter perched over a cup or jar. was it good? yes!! i imagine if i had several different cups next to each other, i could pick out nuances and characteristics..but solo? no way.

one shop guy gave me the dirtiest look when i said what he was doing isn't a whole lot different from what a drip coffee maker does. it drizzles hot water over coffee grounds..no? i thought he was going to ask us to leave. ahhaha.

coffee experts, chime in please.
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurotron View Post
Face it. 98% of the world drinks coffee for One Reason Only: The Drug. They want their caffeine and that's their ritualistic way of getting it every day. I'm in the 98%. If the coffee doesn't taste like absolute garbage, I will drink it. I will get my dose of caffeine. I will start the day without killing anyone or wishing them (great) bodily harm.

The Drug can come from Starbucks, McDonalds (they actually have good coffee), my local donut shop (again, decent coffee), a couple of local gas stations (they actually make the stuff fresh where I go) or at home. Peet's may suck my left nut, gently, twice.

The best coffee I ever done had was a couple years ago in the middle of deer season. Day (morning) 4 of 8 in camp. 3am. Go for the 2nd tin of coffee I packed. Which, I guess, I didn't pack. F*ck. Go hunting all day with No Drug. That afternoon it's too hot to hunt, make a run to Markleeville General Store. Went in for hot coffee - they were all out. Cute gal behind counter goes and makes me a fresh pot, gives me a fresh cup, fills my thermos and sells me a pound of coffee for camp. I would have married her if I wasn't already.

Fully agree.

I dig the taste of coffee though, it's not just the caffeine. That being said I won't drink decaf because...it's coffee and it's supposed to have caffeine. Definitely don't need it to start my day by any means but I will enjoy a cup at damn near anytime during the day or night. Coffee candy, coffee ice cream, coffee gum...
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a coffee nazi. Nabob, Folgers? That shit'll give you ulcers.

Big fan of legitimate cappuccinos and espressos. I can taste the difference between good coffee and swill.

It's like any palate. If you hone it, it's noticeable. As stated, majority of the world drinks it for the caffeine.

That being said, I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink coffee. I'd sooner trust a vegetarian.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
And I too like my women like my coffee, all over my crotch when I'm driving.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery

I use these for my coffee. I roast my own beans too. I think it makes a big difference, fresh, no plastic taste like a drip drip drip coffee maker creates.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #15
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty good laugh as i stand here drinking my $5 a can value brand coffee from the local wally world and read some of this stuff.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #16
F16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedF16TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: LUKE
F16TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of coffee and thought I knew good stuff until I got stationed on Terceira Island, a little island owned by Portugal in the middle of the Atlantic.

These folks take their coffee pretty seriously, and it shows. It's delicious.

Not sure of the brewing techniques here but whatever they do, it's working.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #17
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
Pretty good laugh as i stand here drinking my $5 a can value brand coffee from the local wally world and read some of this stuff.

what's to laugh at?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Odie
trdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrdNick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

trdNick's Tacoma Gallery

Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

I use these for my coffee. I roast my own beans too. I think it makes a big difference, fresh, no plastic taste like a drip drip drip coffee maker creates.
IDK

Products Discussed in this Thread