Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Who likes to harvest black walnuts?

Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Who likes to harvest black walnuts?

I have recently harvested, shucked, washed, and now drying black walnuts. This is the first year I've done this and the process is kind of fun. Except the shucking part. I'm just curious if anyone else does this and to share your tips and techniques.

And no, this isn't a picture I took. Just a picture to go with the thread.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSportLB View Post
use to when I was a kid, just easier to buy them nowadays lol
Lol. It is, but those are English walnuts usually But I know what you mean. I think it's more rewarding if you do all the work to get them and when you pull them out of the oven after the first roast is a good feeling that all the work pays off. Even though I don't like them that much, I still think it's fun.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
TacomaSportLB is on a distinguished road
Army: 1st Cavalry Division, Ft. Hood, TX
Name: Dad
TacomaSportLB's Tacoma Gallery
oh indeed, it is self rewarding, if I had the time I'd do more of these kinds of things, gardening is another way to feel this way too. Or hunting and butchering, PROVIDING. Then to pass that on to your kids
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
never cared to deal with the nuts...but we cut down several of the trees and milled it into boards...had it stored in an old barn that got burned down a couple years ago in an arson

real nice good wood...terribly unfortunate
Old 10-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSportLB View Post
oh indeed, it is self rewarding, if I had the time I'd do more of these kinds of things, gardening is another way to feel this way too. Or hunting and butchering, PROVIDING. Then to pass that on to your kids
Exactly. I think self rewarding is the reason I do it. That and I'll just give most of the walnuts away to family and friends.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
never cared to deal with the nuts...but we cut down several of the trees and milled it into boards...had it stored in an old barn that got burned down a couple years ago in an arson

Dang. The bad thing is that it takes decades to get nice logs out of walnut trees.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Dang. The bad thing is that it takes decades to get nice logs out of walnut trees.
yup

these trees were much older than i am...we still have some waiting to be harvested but it's gonna be awhile before we get around to it
Old 10-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
yup

these trees were much older than i am...we still have some waiting to be harvested but it's gonna be awhile before we get around to it
There is one at my girlfriend's grandma's house and I'm pretty sure it's 50+ years old. It is huge.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
The Blue Warrior

Got another 5 gallon bucket of walnuts today. Got them shucked and washed in an hour. They are now drying and curing.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

walnut trees are worth some good money
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
walnut trees are worth some good money
Indeed
Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #15
The Blue Warrior

Finally after 3 weeks of drying and a couple days of cracking, I have them finally. I would say about 70% of them had no meat in them. Good ones in the jar, bad ones in the container. Threw the rest of the bad ones out already.

And this was from a lot of walnuts. The picture of the walnuts drying, take that and times it by 2. I got another batch the day after I took that pic.