LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Does anyone dry and store seeds for planting?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone dry and store seeds for planting?

I need to know the best ways to prep and store seeds for planting. I prefer methods to where they last a few years or more. I've heard a glass jar stored in a cool, dry place. Same with aluminum like aluminum foil. But I'm not sure about these methods or what method is best. Wanting to stock up just in case the government screws with the seeds someday so we all will get cancer, new hybrid plants won't have seeds, and the hybrid plants will kill off honey bees so there won't be cross pollinating. But anyway, I need ways to store seeds. We plan on stocking up on some vegetables and such for food.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
it's an art. i can do squash seeds..anyone can do those. just dry them.

but tomatoes? man, there is some mash you have to make. i just buy my seeds. but your thinking is sound..very sound.

there are huge communities bases around seed libraries. folks put in seeds for the good of the entire group. real dedicated groups.

i'll be honest. i suck at planting seeds. most of my garden is bought in 4" pots. i suck! and some of them even die
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery

There may be better sites to get answers.

But they may be better watched?
Old 10-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

There may be better sites to get answers.

But they may be better watched?
I tried other sites. I've found basics, but I mainly want answers from people who have done it and what works well and what doesn't.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
it's an art. i can do squash seeds..anyone can do those. just dry them.

but tomatoes? man, there is some mash you have to make. i just buy my seeds. but your thinking is sound..very sound.

there are huge communities bases around seed libraries. folks put in seeds for the good of the entire group. real dedicated groups.

i'll be honest. i suck at planting seeds. most of my garden is bought in 4" pots. i suck! and some of them even die
Lol. Tomato seeds, I've seen some simple methods to get the seeds surprisingly. Cut tomato in half, put the flat cut side on a flat service on a paper towel and rub and squeeze the tomato on the towel. Works decent.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Seed your tomato(s) into a stainless sieve, or a window screen. Rinse with running water while gently rubbing them around to remove the "meat". Blot dry with paper towel. Spread out on wax paper for a week to dry. Store in an envelope made of common copy paper. Keep in a cool dry place. Do not store seeds in plastic or glass unless you make provisions to absorb moisture. This method has worked for me for many years.

More info @ http://howtosaveseeds.com/store.php

Cherry tomatoes in 5 gal buckets in the greenhouse.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed
worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I tried other sites. I've found basics, but I mainly want answers from people who have done it and what works well and what doesn't.
Have you tried prepper sites?

I googled "prepper seed storage" and "prepper seed drying" and found lots of info.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, here's a site with some good seeds and info http://www.pepperjoe.com
Old 10-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i'm pretty sure, a tomato seed from a heirloom variety needs to go thru some mash process. i've seen it done, but never really questioned it.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Thanks for all the info and links Never thought of looking up prepper sites. So far it's best to say the most common way is putting them in an air tight container and putting them in the fridge.