LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Matters:Superfoods. Do they Work?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Food Matters:Superfoods. Do they Work?

Saw this documentary a couple days ago for the third time, i want to know if the things they claim are true.

http://foodmatters.tv/

If it's true i wouldnt mind incorporating it into my diet and would go the extra lengths to get it.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Saw this documentary a couple days ago for the third time, i want to know if the things they claim are true.

http://foodmatters.tv/

If it's true i wouldnt mind incorporating it into my diet and would go the extra lengths to get it.
Go try Odwalla's superfood. It's not some magic life elixer, but it won't kill ya. If I skip a meal(very rare), I will slam one of the 12oz bottles and doesnt taste too bad.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
Go try Odwalla's superfood. It's not some magic life elixer, but it won't kill ya. If I skip a meal(very rare), I will slam one of the 12oz bottles and doesnt taste too bad.
I'll have to look then up. I think on campus they are 4$ for a bottle....
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you serious?

in reality, naming a juice "superfood" doesnt make it one. personally, i think the odwalla stuff taste pretty good. damn good actually. it is sweet. sure it is sweeten with fruit. but sugar is sugar.

my wife makes her own "superfood" and it is awful. it would choke a billygoat. pure veggies blended and sweetened with a wedge of apple. i run out the backdoor when i hear the blender spinning.

me, i am oldschool. i think juicing something gives you too much. i eat it. i watched a lecture touting "g-bombs"
g green
b beans
o onions
m mushrooms
b berries
s seeds.

and it made sense. difficult to follow, but a nice guideline.
i also just visited a nutritionist. she talked about how difficult it is for the modern human. plants back in the day were gathered and eaten. plants natural defense is to not be too tasty. those bitter veggies..the bitter parts are good for us!! she called them phylo vitamins or something. modern farming grows up food that is sweet and delicious. lettuce is so sweet now. back in the day, i think it was rough, fiberous, and bitter.

we need the superfoods. i just eat colorful foods. beets, greens..etc. and hope for the best.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
you serious?

in reality, naming a juice "superfood" doesnt make it one. personally, i think the odwalla stuff taste pretty good. damn good actually. it is sweet. sure it is sweeten with fruit. but sugar is sugar.

my wife makes her own "superfood" and it is awful. it would choke a billygoat. pure veggies blended and sweetened with a wedge of apple. i run out the backdoor when i hear the blender spinning.

me, i am oldschool. i think juicing something gives you too much. i eat it. i watched a lecture touting "g-bombs"
g green
b beans
o onions
m mushrooms
b berries
s seeds.

i also just visited a nutritionist. she talked about how difficult it is for the modern human. plants back in the day were gathered and eaten. plants natural defense is to not be too tasty. those bitter veggies..the bitter parts are good for us!! she called them phylo vitamins or something. modern farming grows up food that is sweet and delicious. lettuce is so sweet now. back in the day, i think it was rough, fiberous, and bitter.

we need the superfoods. i just eat colorful foods. beets, greens..etc. and hope for the best.
Juicing is quite beneficial when you combine the right foods and get a really nice cold-press juicer in comparison to the centrifugal juicer(I own one)

I agree that although the good may taste horrible, if it tastes badly then most of the time it's prob good for ya in the short and long term.

Bump for more opinions and facts.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
you serious?

g green
b beans
o onions
m mushrooms
b berries
s seeds.

Yeah, im fucking serious. read the post. I said it was NOT a life changing elixir. Just something good to drink.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Yeah, im fucking serious. read the post. I said it was NOT a life changing elixir. Just something good to drink.
oh..i wasnt that serious..

i just cant draw the line between the OP's documentary and the juice..so i was just asking. they do share the same title.

i wouldnt read too deeply into it. certainly didnt want to offend your hair-trigger sensibilities.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
XXXXL Member

Quote:
oh..i wasnt that serious..

i just cant draw the line between the OP's documentary and the juice..so i was just asking. they do share the same title.

i wouldnt read too deeply into it. certainly didnt want to offend your hair-trigger sensibilities.

Interwebz is seriouz fucking bidness!

I mentioned the odwalla because of the spirulina, wheat grass, barley, etc.

And, i got a 1lb pull on my delicate sensiblity trigger.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Quote:
Interwebz is seriouz fucking bidness!

I mentioned the odwalla because of the spirulina, wheat grass, barley, etc.

And, i got a 1lb pull on my delicate sensiblity trigger.
Awesome. Consider me warned. I'll proceed more carefully. Haha.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
AKA Crash Bandicoot

To be fair i wasnt trying to connect the two at all... I was just saying if anyone had actually followed the regiment in the documentary first hand and can offer advice.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody else eat gin soaked raisins? My wife swears they help her sore knees, when she quits eating them the pain comes back. I eat em too I have more serious arthritic pain but I think they help a little.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Intresting, never heard of that. I'll have to try it when i get that sorta pain.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
"Superfood" is a marketing ploy. Stick with what humans ate before the industrial revolution, whole foods from the earth, and you'll be better off than processed anything. Same with "organic", if you want true organic grow it yourself otherwise you're paying for that label without any other knowledge of your food. Granted if you believe in soil deterioration and pesticides with the effect on us we'll kill ourselves with McDonalds or apples.

Everyone dies, make your decisions how you want to live before that point.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
"Superfood" is a marketing ploy. Stick with what humans ate before the industrial revolution, whole foods from the earth, and you'll be better off than processed anything. Same with "organic", if you want true organic grow it yourself otherwise you're paying for that label without any other knowledge of your food. Granted if you believe in soil deterioration and pesticides with the effect on us we'll kill ourselves with McDonalds or apples.

Everyone dies, make your decisions how you want to live before that point.

I guess you're right, until i acquire the land needed to grow my own food im still in the dark.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
DCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedDCGirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines:
DCGirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
I guess you're right, until i acquire the land needed to grow my own food im still in the dark.
I don't believe you need to have your own land to start. You can try avoiding fruits and veggies that are known to have more pesticides or buy them from certain areas, I avoid imported organic. Some are labeled with the location. From there you can find what is required for them to be labeled organic from certain states. It's a little work but worth it. You will also likely have to hunt through different stores.