Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

How to cook standing rib roast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
coffeesnob [OP] coffeesnob is offline
Senior Member
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2010, #30892
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,803
coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
How to cook standing rib roast

I bought a 7 lb standing rib roast for Christmas day. I would like your suggestion for cooking it. A few years ago I tried the method where you place a cloth over it for about a week to age it and it didn;t taste very good so I would like to know how you all do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2009, #25015
Location: bay area, california
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,721
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
7lbs? how many ribs is that?

1st tip: buy a probe thermometer. saves your ass. trouble is, the timing is a bitch for me. hard to pinpoint when anything will be done. so kinda start earlier than you think. you NEED to rest a roast for about 30 mins anyway.

here is what i do when i want to keep is simple. pull it out of the fridge. salt the crap out of it. it takes a fair amount of salt. first time i did it, i thought i was using too much, and it was still on the bland side. crazy fresh ground pepper as well. let it sit on the counter and get closer to room temp. if you own a cat, put out anti cat countermeasures.

350 deg oven.. i put the roast in a cast iron pan..bone side down, and just pop it in until i get (i think..i look it up all the time) i get 125 deg internal temps and i pull it out. sitting on the counter, tented by foil..the temps creep up to med rare. 135ish.

i take the pan juices and make a jus. i can take rare slices and dip it in the hot jus to cook it more for the folks that want a more cooked slice.

i usually dont want to dick with multiple oven temps to get a more browned exterior. some folks finish the roast in a 500 deg oven to really char the outside.

tip..if you take a sharp knife and remove the bones first (after cooking). you can slice neat, pretty slices. bones can be separated for gnawing on in the kitchen
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2011, #63268
Posts: 11,431
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Smoke it. I've never smoked anything until I read the thread on here & now I'm hooked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
coffeesnob [OP] coffeesnob is offline
Senior Member
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2010, #30892
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,803
coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
7lbs? how many ribs is that?

1st tip: buy a probe thermometer. saves your ass. trouble is, the timing is a bitch for me. hard to pinpoint when anything will be done. so kinda start earlier than you think. you NEED to rest a roast for about 30 mins anyway.

here is what i do when i want to keep is simple. pull it out of the fridge. salt the crap out of it. it takes a fair amount of salt. first time i did it, i thought i was using too much, and it was still on the bland side. crazy fresh ground pepper as well. let it sit on the counter and get closer to room temp. if you own a cat, put out anti cat countermeasures.

350 deg oven.. i put the roast in a cast iron pan..bone side down, and just pop it in until i get (i think..i look it up all the time) i get 125 deg internal temps and i pull it out. sitting on the counter, tented by foil..the temps creep up to med rare. 135ish.

i take the pan juices and make a jus. i can take rare slices and dip it in the hot jus to cook it more for the folks that want a more cooked slice.

i usually dont want to dick with multiple oven temps to get a more browned exterior. some folks finish the roast in a 500 deg oven to really char the outside.

tip..if you take a sharp knife and remove the bones first (after cooking). you can slice neat, pretty slices. bones can be separated for gnawing on in the kitchen


I think the butcher said 3 bones
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
coffeesnob [OP] coffeesnob is offline
Senior Member
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2010, #30892
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,803
coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Smoke it. I've never smoked anything until I read the thread on here & now I'm hooked.


I suck at smoking..not gonna risk ruining this baby
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Oct 2009, #25015
Location: bay area, california
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,721
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I suck at smoking..not gonna risk ruining this baby

wise. i've smokes one. well, more like grill baked in with a hunk of wood in the coals. it was awesome, but less easy than my oven.

good luck. 3 bones is an awesome size. with a probe thermometer (with alarm) you cannot go wrong. you could eff up the timing tho.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Senior Member
Ham N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHam N Egger is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Ham N Egger's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2013, #112658
Location: 33.414842, -111.909319 or 36.107324, -115.175744
Gender: Male
Posts: 152
Ham N Egger's Tacoma Gallery
OP. Good thermometer, patience and awareness. I would never smoke such a great cut of meat!

Take look here. Instructions on roasting and grilling, you can choose your method:

http://www.seriouseats.com/search?si...ding+rib+roast

Good luck and happy dinning.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
A3umph's Avatar
Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
Joined: Nov 2012, #92070
Location: outside of KCMO
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I suck at smoking..not gonna risk ruining this baby


Fly it out to KC, have it smoked at Bichelmeyer, fly it back, simple.
http://bichelmeyermeatskc.com/services/custom-smoking
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
Member
oscolivar1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Joined: Oct 2013, #115568
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 55
oscolivar1's Tacoma Gallery
Jus google it and you'll find many ways, but all come very similar in cooking methods. Invest in a nice external thermometer so you can keep track of internal temp. Highly suggest BONE IN!!

Let it sit out until it reaches room temp, for 3bone in prime rib which is about 7-8lbs let it sit out for 3-4 hours. I slice 6-8 garlic cloves depending on size and cut small openings to add extra flavor inside and i also throw garlic on top. Salt generously, I like sea salt and same with pepper (adding butter/oil is optional). Put it in the oven at 450-500 for 15 min to give it the crust then drop them temp to 325 and wait til the thermometer hits 120. Take out and let it rest for about 30min. Letting it rest will let it continue to cook and raise the temp to around 125-130 (use tent method with foil). Some people take it out around 115 if you really like it more on the rare side.

Cooking time without ext Thermometer
(3) Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°
(4) Ribs, 9 to 10 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ½ to 2 hours at 325°
(5) Ribs, 11 to 13 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 2 to 2 ½ hours at 325°
(6) Ribs, 14 to 16 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 2 ¾ to 3 hours at 325°
(7) Ribs, 16 to 18 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 3 to 3 ¾ hours at 325°

Highly suggest a ext. thermometer, Every oven is different and its alot easier then continuously stabbing the steak every so and so.

If you have a gas oven here is an alternate method. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQ49SoteE0

I haven't used but other people I know have and comes out great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
coffeesnob [OP] coffeesnob is offline
Senior Member
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
coffeesnob's Avatar
Joined: Feb 2010, #30892
Location: VA
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,803
coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscolivar1 View Post
Jus google it and you'll find many ways, but all come very similar in cooking methods. Invest in a nice external thermometer so you can keep track of internal temp. Highly suggest BONE IN!!

Let it sit out until it reaches room temp, for 3bone in prime rib which is about 7-8lbs let it sit out for 3-4 hours. I slice 6-8 garlic cloves depending on size and cut small openings to add extra flavor inside and i also throw garlic on top. Salt generously, I like sea salt and same with pepper (adding butter/oil is optional). Put it in the oven at 450-500 for 15 min to give it the crust then drop them temp to 325 and wait til the thermometer hits 120. Take out and let it rest for about 30min. Letting it rest will let it continue to cook and raise the temp to around 125-130 (use tent method with foil). Some people take it out around 115 if you really like it more on the rare side.

Cooking time without ext Thermometer
(3) Ribs, 7 to 8 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours at 325°
(4) Ribs, 9 to 10 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 1 ½ to 2 hours at 325°
(5) Ribs, 11 to 13 lbs. 15 minutes at 450°, Then 2 to 2 ½ hours at 325°
(6) Ribs, 14 to 16 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 2 ¾ to 3 hours at 325°
(7) Ribs, 16 to 18 lbs. 15 minutes at 450° Then, 3 to 3 ¾ hours at 325°

Highly suggest a ext. thermometer, Every oven is different and its alot easier then continuously stabbing the steak every so and so.

If you have a gas oven here is an alternate method. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQ49SoteE0

I haven't used but other people I know have and comes out great.


I'm getting hungry thx all
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dry aging a rib roast coffeesnob Food Talk 6 12-18-2011 06:57 PM
How to grill prime rib TurfTaco Food Talk 9 05-18-2011 08:08 AM
Anybody roast their own coffee beans? coffeesnob Food Talk 3 01-24-2011 11:40 AM
Rib Recipes RevHard6 Food Talk 10 03-31-2010 04:43 PM
Standing by for Haiti Flynn Diesel Off-Topic Discussion 2 01-15-2010 04:20 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.