Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

frying turkey for first time, do I have it right?

Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
DBTaco is on a distinguished road
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
frying turkey for first time, do I have it right?

My brother and sister in law is coming home for Christmas and my mom and dad got a turkey for thanksgiving that we never cooked. Its been frozen and my mom took it out of the freezer and put in the refridgerator yesterday (Wednesday 12/18/13) and they are coming on Sunday so we were planning on cooking it Sunday or Monday. Is this enought time to completely thaw turkey out? I've done some research but want to make sure I have all the steps correct.

1. Completly thaw turkey
2. put turkey on holder and put in pot and fill with water having water about an inch over turkey.
3. PUll turkey out of pot and mark line of water
4. Dump water out and dry pot
5. Fill pot with cooking oil to line I marked.
6. Pat dry turkey
7. Start propane and when oil gets 350 degrees SLOWLY lower turkey in oil.
8. Keep oil temp between 325-350 degrees. cook for about 3 minutes per pound then once done
9. Cut off propane and remove turkey from fryer
10. Let sit for 20-30 minutes before carving

Anything I missed? Also what kind of oil? Peanut, Vegetable, or cooking oil?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you gonna brine the bird?

or inject it first? definately pat the bird dry. i let the bird hang out on that support rack and air dry as well, while the oil is heating up.

lowering the bird. i am a chicken shit. i use a broom handle and get a buddy to stand at the other end to help me lower it. i dont care how dry that bird is, it is a splatter hot mess. it will burn you, if you are standing over the oil, lowering the bird in solo.

i dont do any of that water displacement BS. 1. it wets the bird (^^it splatters) 2. it gives you water to deal with 3. it splatters.

i just go about...less than 3/4 full, and add cold oil if i need it. my burner is like a jet engine..it heats up fast. i never needed more than a splash.

oh..a small turkey is better to fry..IMHO. i dont do big birds..if i did, i might consider doing that water displacement thing.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing I do differently is if it's a pre-packaged bird, I mark the waterline in the pot with it the turkey before I unwrap it. Just less water in/on it.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Jimbos13 is on a distinguished road
Name: James
Jimbos13's Tacoma Gallery
Vegetable Oil. And have a cooler stocked with bear close by!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Peanut oil is what I recommend, has a higher flash point so it is harder to burn the oil giving a better taste. Making sure you keep the temp at 350 and making sure the turkey is completely dry (water and hot oil do not mix) are important. Don't put the deep fryer in the house, porch, garage, or on a wooden deck, keep it out in the open. It never hurts to have a good fire extinguisher around either.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
The only thing I do differently is if it's a pre-packaged bird, I mark the waterline in the pot with it the turkey before I unwrap it. Just less water in/on it.
Good idea, it is a prepackaged bird.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't really thought about injecting it or brining it. I didn't give that much thought, just cook the bird.

I think its about a 13.5 lb turkey. So I'm thinking about 50 minutes. Also, do I need to pick a calm wind day? Not sure what the wind will do to the flame on the propane.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna tacoma View Post
I haven't really thought about injecting it or brining it. I didn't give that much thought, just cook the bird.

I think its about a 13.5 lb turkey. So I'm thinking about 50 minutes. Also, do I need to pick a calm wind day? Not sure what the wind will do to the flame on the propane.

Unless it's very windy the propane burner will stay lit, just monitor the oil temp and adjust accordingly. You want NO moisture in the bird. Water in hot oil makes steam causing the oil to rise, potentially overflowing the pot onto the flame causing fire.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think if my mom put the frozen turkey in the refridgerator yesterday that it will be thawed by Sunday? My father in law bought me the fryer right before thanksgiving but haven't used it yet.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. I think it's about 1 day in the fridge for every 4 pounds or so.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #11

A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
13.5 pounder should take about 4 days to defrost.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
Bring oil up to 375 Then Turn Gas and burner off to lower bird into oil do it slowly and stopping to allowing moisture splatter to dissipate in steps until bird is in completely, then turn burner back on temp should still be in range 340-350, Like mentioned do this away from house, deck, garage. and firmly on open area floor. Enjoy!
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Found out the other day from my brother that my sister in law has been on this gutten free diet b/c of her migraines. So I'm not sure what she can and can't have. We may look into the injector stuff after they get here. Is peanut oil safe for her
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
from Dirt bike to Dezert Couch
SDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud ofSDSam has much to be proud of

SDSam's Tacoma Gallery
someone has to eat the green beans
Old 12-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSam View Post
someone has to eat the green beans
For real? I hate that we are going to cook it and she will have to fix her something else.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I just did one and it was about 3minutes a pound. Brought the temp up to 375 lowered the bird SLOWLY as you said but I kept the temp up at 360-370. I used acombo oil of peanut and vegetable. The fryer said peanut or cottonseed oil. A lot of people recommend some of the flavored oil. Have fun stay safe and enjoy
Old 12-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
DBTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 30qt pot, and the turkey is 13.5lb. I see the oil comes in 3 gallon container. Is 3 gallons of oil enough or will I need to buy another jug? I will do the water test but didn't want to buy more than I needed.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've got a 30qt pot, and the turkey is 13.5lb. I see the oil comes in 3 gallon container. Is 3 gallons of oil enough or will I need to buy another jug? I will do the water test but didn't want to buy more than I needed.
You might need a little more then 3 gallons. I always do but I don't fry anything larger then 12lbs. Also a little tip pull the bird about 3 to 5 minutes early and cover it with tin foil completely it will carry over to perfection. I normally let my birds rest for about 20 to 30min under foil. The bird will rise about 8 to 10 degrees internally out of the oil. I fry and smoke about 5 turkeys a year and never have I made a dry bird
Old 12-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #19

A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Do the water test now. Then you will be 100% sure.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I did all the steps you listed. But, I injected the bird with seasonings and put a dry rub on it!
It came out perfect! I turned the burner off while lowering the bird into the oil.