LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Cooking Steak

Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #21
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaman29 View Post
Looks great man
Thanks it was!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Cooked another strip tonight. Thought I'd add salt as some have recommended. This one had been wrapped for 5 days in the fridge, with no dry time. Pulled it out an hour ahead of time, dried it off and salted liberally. After an hour it was soaking wet on the surface. I dried it and cooked to medium rare, finishing with pan butter and chèvre as before.

I was surprised that it actually had a better crust & softer texture than the previous steak. This may have been due to the salt, but it may have also been due to the fact that it had 3 more days on the fridge to age, or perhaps because the pan was used now and not brand new. I'll continue to experiment. I think I'll go back to my butcher for a whole strip loin for testing material!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Ribeye just has too much fat for me...
Porterhouse....
Dry rub, warm to room temp, super hot sear, then cook as needed by feel to medium... Rest....

Cut with NON SERRATED blade, and enjoy with sauteed mushrooms.

I hate hate hate serrated knives.... I want it sliced, not torn..... Hence I own 1 serrated blade for bread, all others are high carbon steel non serrated.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #25
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Did somebody say steak?! My usual prep is a little oil then rubbed with kosher or sea salt, pepper and whatever I feel in the mood for. I like to use Mrs. Dash, yes Mrs Dash. Adds good flavor without adding any more salt. I usually let that sit in the fridge for an hour or so then pull it out about an hour before cooking. I'm a huge fan of pan-seared steak, I think it has better flavor. If not then there is nothing better than a grilled steak on a nice summer night. Here's some pics from the collection....

Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #26
SR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to beholdSR52012 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Mike
SR52012's Tacoma Gallery
I like to cook my thicker steaks by covering them on all sides with salt to where you cant see the steak anymore... depending on the size (1in think leave for about 30-45 min) then rinse with water and let come to room temp then grill.... best freaking steak i ever made... works with other cuts to and its not salty!!! O ya on the grill lol
Old 01-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I do all the same, take the steak out hours before grilling,salt and pepper etc (I have been using Himalayan Sea Salt which is very good). If I am grilling them on the propane grill I like to add a couple pieces of real wood to get some smoke flavor. Don't really have to worry about that if I am doing the steaks on the smoker.