Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Cooking Steak

Old 12-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Cooking Steak

So, how do you cook your steak? I have about a 1lb KC Strip & an 8 oz fillet to cook in 2 hours and I'll tell you how I do it:

1. Dry the steak for at least 24 hours in the fridge. I've read about dry aging and how it's basically useless unless it's done for 2 or 3 weeks, and I agree that the science seems valid. My 24 hour dry is to get a really dry surface to promote browning vs. steaming.

2. Take the steak out of the fridge 2 hours before cooking time. This allows the meat to come to full room temp, seems to relax the steak.

2b. DRY that steak. As the cool steak comes out of the fridge, dab any condensation off. You want a dry surface.

3. Cook on cast iron. I often do this on the grill, but still on a cast iron skillet. The grill is convenient in that the smoke isn't in the kitchen.

4. Salt after cooking. I don't want any salt sucking moisture to the surface. I want serious charring on the outside.

5. Oil, or no? I don't know at this point. I've heard that oil acts as a conductor and allows more heat to hit the meat. I do know that oil in the pan isn't good. All you will get is a smoky kitchen. I want oil on the steak only, and then only a tiny amount if at all. Like a thin sheen. Use an oil with a high smoke point like canola. Never EVOO during the cook. Thoughts?

6. Screamin' hot. I mean HOT. The steak houses are using charcoal or gas or infrared to get ovens to 1500+ deg for their steaks. I have to settle for a 600 deg cast iron skillet, but it's better than nothing.

7. I like KC strips. Got a fresh-cut 1 lb steak for $8.99 from my butcher. About 2" thick. I will cook for 3 minutes on each side, no more, salt, then let it rest for 5 mins before I eat. Usually a very nice medium rare.

8. The wife likes an 8 oz fillet, MEDIUM WELL. It's the bane of my existence, but I live to please. I will cook her steak for 6 minutes a side then into a 400 deg oven for 10 or 15 minutes before a 10 minute rest to get medium well on a 2" thick fillet.

9. Butter. I saw Gordon Ramsay finish a steak with about a tsp of butter in the pan for the last minute of cooking, then spooning the melted butter over the steak during the rest. I will try this tonight for the first time. Sounds awesome, and I know the steaks at the local premium steakhouse are liberally buttered before serving. Should be a tasty experiment.

So what are your tips? What am I doing differently than you? Hints, tips and tricks are welcome!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Alt method for cheaper cuts:

Sometimes I just want a flavored steak. If I'm cooking for a group and can't drop the $$ for a tenderloin to cut fillets, or a strip loin for 2" thick KC Strips for everyone, I will use the following:

1 part A1 steak sauce
1 part Heinz 57
0.1 parts Worcestershire sauce

Marinate for 24 - 48 hours

Cook as above to desired doneness

I had this at my bro-in-law's wedding and I asked for the marinade recipe. It's a great, easy way to get a flavored steak if you're in the mood.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, that sounds close to the way i do mine, I like thick cut rib eyes that we get from Sam's Club, i can't find a good local butcher, here's how i fix them.
1. Leave in fridge and then get them out for a couple hours for room temp.
2. Fire up gas grill and searing burner 700-800 degrees
3. Pat dry
4. I sometime season mine and lightly oil
5. Sear for 1 min. each side, then cook for 6-8 min. I like med. rare also, add butter
6. I put them on a plate after turning off grill and let rest 3-4 min. with grill lid closed.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
I cook my 3" steaks on high for 3 minutes first side..2 minutes next then indirect heat for 5 min...perfect medium rare.
Just salt pepper and worcestershire sauce.
Cover for 5 minutes to rest and I'm in heaven.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with almost everything said above - hot grill, butter etc. , and I am still crying about that medium well fillet That should be illegal - I used to do it to please, but now I just do it right (medium rare) and tell them to go nuke it in the microwave if they want to ruin it.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I agree with almost everything said above - hot grill, butter etc. , and I am still crying about that medium well fillet That should be illegal - I used to do it to please, but now I just do it right (medium rare) and tell them to go nuke it in the microwave if they want to ruin it.

I know, but anything for the love of my life. I try to let her have her way in any non-critical situation. It's meant lots of great, almost-argument-free years, and she knows that when I put my foot down, it's for a good reason so when I'm adamant about something I don't get a lot of flak from her. Let her have her steak the way she wants.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

During the rest, with some chèvre on top. Lots of pan butter on/around hers:
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

And plated, informally, with some roasted zucchini.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Av8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shedAv8er is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Av8er's Tacoma Gallery
I flew a trip not long ago with a first officer who was a chef for most of his career. Really interesting picking his brain. He( and I now) pretty much cook em up the exact same way as the OP however he would make an infused butter. Ie. real butter melted down to room temp and then add some light seasoning such as rosemary or very light garlic then back into fridge to coagulate back into a solid form. Then add it to the top of steak at the end of cooking process to melt evenly over top of steak. Yummy stuff- Doing some filets tomorrow night actually. Woo-hoo
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
you know that salt does more than just make the meat taste salty right? it tenderizes as well.. i salt it early during the room temp sit.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
yall are too complicated..... some ribeye from wherever.... it all tastes the same to me. Salt, pepper, meat tenderizer, season all and throw it over a charcoal grill(that propane leaves a nasty aftertastes in the meat, and anybody that cant grill over charcoal or a campfire needs to be shot) and cook until it well done. I have tried medium well and medium rare, and got horribly sick afterwards, so anything less than well done dosent fly with me
Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
so anything less than well done dosent fly with me
i'd eat chicken. well done steak is a crime. IMHO. sucks you cant eat it med rare.

i like raw beef..in tartar..or a vietmamese beef salad, or italian carpaccio..yum.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #13
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
And plated, informally, with some roasted zucchini.
uuuhhhmmmm what time is dinner?!?!? now i'm starved
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #14
ramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the roughramonortiz55 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ramon
ramonortiz55's Tacoma Gallery
ive never cooked my own steak
Old 12-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i'd eat chicken. well done steak is a crime. IMHO. sucks you cant eat it med rare.

i like raw beef..in tartar..or a vietmamese beef salad, or italian carpaccio..yum.
i do eat a good amount of chicken lol, but i like steak and to be honest im not a fan of this kind of pink meat lol
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonortiz55 View Post
ive never cooked my own steak
not a real steak guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
i do eat a good amount of chicken lol, but i like steak and to be honest im not a fan of this kind of pink meat lol
whats it like not having a mancard?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post

whats it like not having a mancard?
i try.... not my fault my body rejects the pink stuff
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Stupid should be painful!
W Bishop is on a distinguished road
Name: Walt
W Bishop's Tacoma Gallery
Rib eye steak is the only steak I like and meat comes from a meat market. I buy the hole slab and 3/4" cuts. The market lets it sit for 30 days before selling. I let sit at room temp for at less 8 hrs, some times longer. lightly Marinade in Black Oaks Gourmet sauce. I do not do pink. Can cut with a fork and the juice is to die for. I do rib eyes ever Sunday and if I miss Sun then Mondays are steak day, I grill out year round. I do not buy steaks from Restaurants. I also use real hardwood to cook with.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
Grill seared Ribeye with Cheesy Hash browns.

Pull the Ribeye (my fav steak) about two hours before cooking, hand rub with Montreal steak seasoning and let it sit on the counter. Crank the Weber up to approx 600 degrees sear the steak over the sear burner for 3 minutes one side with the hood down, flip the steak 3 more minutes over the sear burner with the hood down. Pull the steak tent with foil for another couple minutes while you grab your sides.

Enjoy a Medium rare Ribeye that beats any steak i've had in any restaurant.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Grill seared Ribeye with Cheesy Hash browns.

Pull the Ribeye (my fav steak) about two hours before cooking, hand rub with Montreal steak seasoning and let it sit on the counter. Crank the Weber up to approx 600 degrees sear the steak over the sear burner for 3 minutes one side with the hood down, flip the steak 3 more minutes over the sear burner with the hood down. Pull the steak tent with foil for another couple minutes while you grab your sides.

Enjoy a Medium rare Ribeye that beats any steak i've had in any restaurant.
Looks great man