1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BBQ Recommendation

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by theredofshaw, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    As the title says, looking for BBQ recommendations. I would prefer a propane grill, one with a work area on both sides (places to set stuff out of dog tongue range lol). I'd like to keep it under $300. Previous one we bought from WalMart about 5 years ago has slowly been falling apart (think it's partially the crappy wheel it sits on). New grill must have wheels as it gets rolled closer to the house after use (gotta keep the Okie winds from turning it on its side).

Thoughts?

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    The6pharaohs

The6pharaohs WTF just happened?

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Eagle Mountain Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Offroad with JBL premium tech package
    Upgraded from 2012 DCSB TRD Offroad Entune JBL w/nav
    Skip the propane. Roll with charcoal. Tastes so much better. Granted it does take longer but take that time to sip back a few beers you filthy wog. : P

3. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    who ya calling wog...done my two over the line cruises already...lol not golden though, someday :D

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    coronacross

coronacross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeremy
    buckeye country
    Vehicle:
    07 taco lifted 4x4
    lifted, gear-swap, grill,tint,wheels-tires. arb locker, rabestos brakes.
    huge bump.... charcoal or go home... gas is for people in a hurry... I have a charcoal grill which look a lot like a gas grill, shelves both sides. throw in some match light for a quick burn,,, quick cook--- then go to the old kingsford for a slow long burn big feast... twice the taste... and controlled cook.. not to mention.. soak some apple-hickory mesquite in h2o and pooof now u have smoked meat... omg bro theres no better...

5. Mar 28, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    In that price range, get the Akorn kamado style insulated charcoal smoker. They have them at lowes and other places for $299 or less. It will cook very hot for searing steaks and also cook very low (225 or so) for long smoking meats while using very little charcoal.

6. Apr 14, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    kevine

kevine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valencia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    tinted windows
    I have a Weber gasser...for my wife. I have two Weber 22.5 kettles, a Weber smokey joe with a 32 qt tamale pot for using as my mini smoker, a UDS (55 gal Ugly Drum Smoker) and a small antique charcoal grill with a spinning round grill grate. I've had a couple offset stick burners, an Aussie grill, a Master Forge charcoal, and a few other gassers (for the wife).

Gas is fine for your wife to use so that the food is ready by the time you get home from work...but once Friday comes around, it's charcoal all the way, even if it's just for a couple burgers.

I would highly recommend a Weber 22.5 kettle. It is, by far, the most versatile grill/indirect smoker ever made. I can cook anything on it. Obviously, if you're smoking on it, you may need to add unlit charcoal throughout the cook, but otherwise, it is truly my go to grill. If you really want to spend a little more (Silver is $100, Gold is $150-$200 and a Performer is about $300), go with the Performer. I have a OTS and OTG.

Good luck...and please, when you see references to charcoal, we are NOT talking about Matchlight. KBB, Stumps, RO lump.

7. Apr 14, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    It depends on what you want to cook. I meani use a propane grill and it cooks nicely. That being said I am not a hardcore BBQ fan. Also I don't know this if it is true or not but charcoal has more carcinogens than gas? If I'm wrong here then by all means correct me.

8. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Go with a Weber. Cost more...but will last a lot longer!!
    I'll agree that charcoal is best for cooking - but - for me.....I don't want the charcoal mess and most of the time, I want my food quickly and easily.

We've had our Weber (old Genesis)for - I can't even remember - 8 years? I've replaced only the 'flavorizer bars' once. The grill sits outside all year long exposed to everything. We cook on it all year (shovel it out in the winter, etc). The only thing that rusts on this thing - is the flavorizer bars. Everything else is rock solid.

We're actually looking to buy another grill - for our new house - that has a direct hookup to natural gas. I love the Weber's - but they just don't have some of the options/setups like the others do. I'm torn between reliability & Weber quality to buying something else of lesser quality but more gadgets.

I haven't seen another grill yet that has impressed me (quality wise) as good as Weber (within an affordable price range).

Our weber looks similar to this - which, they don't make anymore. http://www.edyoungs.com/images/webersilvera.jpg

I'll be curious to hear some feedback also - wishing we could find an affordable reliable good quality 5 burner/natural gas.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  9. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Funny. This title just reminded me of some of the subtle cultural differences around the country.

If you are in GA, SC or some other places and ask for "BBQ recommendations" you are going to get either cooking tips, or restaurants for smoked and shredded pork butt or shoulder, usually served on a bun as a sandwich.

The cooking device is either a grill or a smoker and the resulting meat is grilled steak, fish, smoked brisket or whatever. - Unless it happens to be pork butt/shoulder that is shredded or "pulled" after cooking, then it is "BBQ".

:D

10. Jun 25, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    So much this.

It appears OP wants a grill.

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas...ed/char-broil-commercial-t-22d-463241014.html

Put these on either side:

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas...oil-commercial-modular-griddle-463240513.html

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas...-commercial-modular-sideburner-463240613.html

Then you'll have a great outdoor kitchen for 4-6 people. Increase the grill size if you cook for larger groups often.

11. Jun 27, 2014 at 5:12 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Oh and I forgot one more GA quirk. Chicken cooked on an outdoor grill is called either "grilled chicken" or "BBQ chicken", used interchangably.

But if cooked indoors, say as in a restaraunt's breast fillet's or a stove top griddle, it's pretty much always "grilled chicken breast".

:D

12. Jun 27, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    Bellis

Bellis friggin rad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    mass southshore
    Vehicle:
    pyrite 6-speed 2012 offroad
    driver mod
    weber.

13. Jun 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    I too have a weber about 6 years old. If I cleaned it up it would look brand new too. I have replaced the flavor bars and also the grates one time each. My only issue is if I run out of gas while it is on it doesn't want to relight unless it sits for a while. Any ideas on that?

14. Jun 27, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    Daq80

Daq80 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Another vote for a Weber. I've had a Weber Genesis gasser for 11 years and it's still going strong. Has been outside the whole time uncovered, and I've only had to replace the flavorizer bars once.

I also have a 22 1/2" Weber smokey mountain smoker, a jumbo joe, and a smokey joe.

There is usually decent deals on craigslist for them as well, but shop around. I wouldn't get the new spirit model gassers though, they seem as good of quality.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top