Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

BBQ Recommendation

Old 03-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
BBQ Recommendation

As the title says, looking for BBQ recommendations. I would prefer a propane grill, one with a work area on both sides (places to set stuff out of dog tongue range lol). I'd like to keep it under $300. Previous one we bought from WalMart about 5 years ago has slowly been falling apart (think it's partially the crappy wheel it sits on). New grill must have wheels as it gets rolled closer to the house after use (gotta keep the Okie winds from turning it on its side).

Thoughts?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
WTF just happened?
The6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud ofThe6pharaohs has much to be proud of

Navy: DC3 veteran
Name: Wil
The6pharaohs's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the propane. Roll with charcoal. Tastes so much better. Granted it does take longer but take that time to sip back a few beers you filthy wog. : P
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The6pharaohs View Post
Skip the propane. Roll with charcoal. Tastes so much better. Granted it does take longer but take that time to sip back a few beers you filthy wog. : P
who ya calling wog...done my two over the line cruises already...lol not golden though, someday
Old 03-10-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
coronacross is on a distinguished road
Marines: 2111 - 1st meu e-8
Name: jeremy
coronacross's Tacoma Gallery
huge bump.... charcoal or go home... gas is for people in a hurry... I have a charcoal grill which look a lot like a gas grill, shelves both sides. throw in some match light for a quick burn,,, quick cook--- then go to the old kingsford for a slow long burn big feast... twice the taste... and controlled cook.. not to mention.. soak some apple-hickory mesquite in h2o and pooof now u have smoked meat... omg bro theres no better...
Old 03-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
In that price range, get the Akorn kamado style insulated charcoal smoker. They have them at lowes and other places for $299 or less. It will cook very hot for searing steaks and also cook very low (225 or so) for long smoking meats while using very little charcoal.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
kevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt., Stinger missile gunner, 86-94
kevine's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Weber gasser...for my wife. I have two Weber 22.5 kettles, a Weber smokey joe with a 32 qt tamale pot for using as my mini smoker, a UDS (55 gal Ugly Drum Smoker) and a small antique charcoal grill with a spinning round grill grate. I've had a couple offset stick burners, an Aussie grill, a Master Forge charcoal, and a few other gassers (for the wife).

Gas is fine for your wife to use so that the food is ready by the time you get home from work...but once Friday comes around, it's charcoal all the way, even if it's just for a couple burgers.

I would highly recommend a Weber 22.5 kettle. It is, by far, the most versatile grill/indirect smoker ever made. I can cook anything on it. Obviously, if you're smoking on it, you may need to add unlit charcoal throughout the cook, but otherwise, it is truly my go to grill. If you really want to spend a little more (Silver is $100, Gold is $150-$200 and a Performer is about $300), go with the Performer. I have a OTS and OTG.

Good luck...and please, when you see references to charcoal, we are NOT talking about Matchlight. KBB, Stumps, RO lump.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on what you want to cook. I meani use a propane grill and it cooks nicely. That being said I am not a hardcore BBQ fan. Also I don't know this if it is true or not but charcoal has more carcinogens than gas? If I'm wrong here then by all means correct me.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Go with a Weber. Cost more...but will last a lot longer!!
I'll agree that charcoal is best for cooking - but - for me.....I don't want the charcoal mess and most of the time, I want my food quickly and easily.

We've had our Weber (old Genesis)for - I can't even remember - 8 years? I've replaced only the 'flavorizer bars' once. The grill sits outside all year long exposed to everything. We cook on it all year (shovel it out in the winter, etc). The only thing that rusts on this thing - is the flavorizer bars. Everything else is rock solid.

We're actually looking to buy another grill - for our new house - that has a direct hookup to natural gas. I love the Weber's - but they just don't have some of the options/setups like the others do. I'm torn between reliability & Weber quality to buying something else of lesser quality but more gadgets.

I haven't seen another grill yet that has impressed me (quality wise) as good as Weber (within an affordable price range).

Our weber looks similar to this - which, they don't make anymore. http://www.edyoungs.com/images/webersilvera.jpg

I'll be curious to hear some feedback also - wishing we could find an affordable reliable good quality 5 burner/natural gas.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #9
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Funny. This title just reminded me of some of the subtle cultural differences around the country.

If you are in GA, SC or some other places and ask for "BBQ recommendations" you are going to get either cooking tips, or restaurants for smoked and shredded pork butt or shoulder, usually served on a bun as a sandwich.

The cooking device is either a grill or a smoker and the resulting meat is grilled steak, fish, smoked brisket or whatever. - Unless it happens to be pork butt/shoulder that is shredded or "pulled" after cooking, then it is "BBQ".

Old 06-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Funny. This title just reminded me of some of the subtle cultural differences around the country.

If you are in GA, SC or some other places and ask for "BBQ recommendations" you are going to get either cooking tips, or restaurants for smoked and shredded pork butt or shoulder, usually served on a bun as a sandwich.

The cooking device is either a grill or a smoker and the resulting meat is grilled steak, fish, smoked brisket or whatever. - Unless it happens to be pork butt/shoulder that is shredded or "pulled" after cooking, then it is "BBQ".

So much this.

It appears OP wants a grill.

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-...463241014.html

Put these on either side:

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-...463240513.html

http://www.charbroil.com/grills/gas-...463240613.html

Then you'll have a great outdoor kitchen for 4-6 people. Increase the grill size if you cook for larger groups often.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
Middle Age Member
Oh and I forgot one more GA quirk. Chicken cooked on an outdoor grill is called either "grilled chicken" or "BBQ chicken", used interchangably.

But if cooked indoors, say as in a restaraunt's breast fillet's or a stove top griddle, it's pretty much always "grilled chicken breast".

Old 06-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Bellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shedBellis is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
Bellis's Tacoma Gallery
weber.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Go with a Weber. Cost more...but will last a lot longer!!
I'll agree that charcoal is best for cooking - but - for me.....I don't want the charcoal mess and most of the time, I want my food quickly and easily.

We've had our Weber (old Genesis)for - I can't even remember - 8 years? I've replaced only the 'flavorizer bars' once. The grill sits outside all year long exposed to everything. We cook on it all year (shovel it out in the winter, etc). The only thing that rusts on this thing - is the flavorizer bars. Everything else is rock solid.

We're actually looking to buy another grill - for our new house - that has a direct hookup to natural gas. I love the Weber's - but they just don't have some of the options/setups like the others do. I'm torn between reliability & Weber quality to buying something else of lesser quality but more gadgets.

I haven't seen another grill yet that has impressed me (quality wise) as good as Weber (within an affordable price range).

Our weber looks similar to this - which, they don't make anymore. http://www.edyoungs.com/images/webersilvera.jpg

I'll be curious to hear some feedback also - wishing we could find an affordable reliable good quality 5 burner/natural gas.
I too have a weber about 6 years old. If I cleaned it up it would look brand new too. I have replaced the flavor bars and also the grates one time each. My only issue is if I run out of gas while it is on it doesn't want to relight unless it sits for a while. Any ideas on that?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
Daq80 is on a distinguished road
Navy: Chief
Daq80's Tacoma Gallery
BBQ Recommendation

Another vote for a Weber. I've had a Weber Genesis gasser for 11 years and it's still going strong. Has been outside the whole time uncovered, and I've only had to replace the flavorizer bars once.

I also have a 22 1/2" Weber smokey mountain smoker, a jumbo joe, and a smokey joe.

There is usually decent deals on craigslist for them as well, but shop around. I wouldn't get the new spirit model gassers though, they seem as good of quality.