Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Food Buying Suggestions

Old 08-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #21
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
My mom puts chicken breast and bbq sauce in the crock pot, its okay but gets old fast.

Brunswick stew would be good. I like navy beans and salt pork too. Pot roast with potatoes and stuff. Vegetable soup.

They also make a ramen noodle cook book too.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty much anything you cook yourself will be cheaper than a restaurant. No need to restrict yourself to a crockpot:

Old 08-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Y'all have given good advice so far, i was gonna hit up the food talk section next
Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #24
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Also don't buy meat from Food Lion.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #25
The Snake Of Jakes
SuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant futureSuperJakeTheSnake has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
SuperJakeTheSnake's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Why do you say this? Just curious, also food lion is switching over to prepackaged meat, stays fresh longer and such
Old 08-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #26
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Why? Theres a Bi-Lo/Publix near me so i won't go to food lion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperJakeTheSnake View Post
Why do you say this? Just curious, also food lion is switching over to prepackaged meat, stays fresh longer and such
Hmm.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Food Lion has a history of bleaching out of date meats (pre packaged and meat case) to regain a normal color, then repackaging and putting new expiration dates.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #28
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I got too much lunch.. now my trash is full.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #29
No pics huh.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #30
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No pics huh.
hold please..
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
Bad Spuller

Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Pulled pork via a pork butt isn't bad in the crock pot. Thought my Fiance was on crack when she first mentioned this.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
Beavis you hardly ate anything but the carrots and half the chicken. Are you OKAY?!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM   #34
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If you have local farmers markets, go to those. Much cheaper, much fresher, better quality. Eat what is in season. Apples from New Zealand are expensive.

Get a pasta cookbook and use it. Nothing is easier than cooking pasta with various sauces, veggies, and meats.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
If you have local farmers markets, go to those. Much cheaper, much fresher, better quality. Eat what is in season. Apples from New Zealand are expensive.

Get a pasta cookbook and use it. Nothing is easier than cooking pasta with various sauces, veggies, and meats.
To add onto this, I'd also eat less meat that is higher quality than buy cheap ass meat. For $20 or $25 cash I can buy 10 days worth of fruit and vegetables from our farmers markets and it's fresh, good quality and locally grown.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Why? Theres a Bi-Lo/Publix near me so i won't go to food lion.
Bi-lo carries "select" beef and Publix carries "choice"... Go with publix for stuff on the grill or oven but in the crock pot it wont matter.
Just my .02 worth
Old 08-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #37
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Food Lion has a history of bleaching out of date meats (pre packaged and meat case) to regain a normal color, then repackaging and putting new expiration dates.
This is very old news..... I agree they and everyone else did this as a practice 20 or more years ago, and it was a eye opener for the industry as a whole. But nowadays this would be instant suicide for any company and might go on in smaller chains but i highly doubt it.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #38
AKA Crash Bandicoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatman View Post
Bi-lo carries "select" beef and Publix carries "choice"... Go with publix for stuff on the grill or oven but in the crock pot it wont matter.
Just my .02 worth
most def, i get publix meat 99% of the time. my Pot Roast was amazing...

Quote:
To add onto this, I'd also eat less meat that is higher quality than buy cheap ass meat. For $20 or $25 cash I can buy 10 days worth of fruit and vegetables from our farmers markets and it's fresh, good quality and locally grown.
We do have lots of local farmers around us, i'll have to see when they sell produce and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post

Yeah. Pasta is pretty cheap and versatile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Pulled pork via a pork butt isn't bad in the crock pot. Thought my Fiance was on crack when she first mentioned this.

You can make pulled pork with just pork butt and dr.pepper with a crock pot.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #39
Good to know it was a somewhat normal practice, but its about as morally and ethically bankrupt as a grocery provider can get. Wouldn't give them a dime for that reason.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #40
Bad Spuller

Quote:
Beavis you hardly ate anything but the carrots and half the chicken. Are you OKAY?!
I ate almost all of the meat... lots of rice, and no veggies.