1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Organic food

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by kilgoja, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    ok this guy at work started eating only organic food and stopped drinking soft drinks....he lost 25lbs in just over a month!!!...he didn't do any kind of excercise at all....he went from 215lbs to 190lbs.... i thought ok i will try this myself...since i was about 210lbs...this is my first experience of knowing someone that actually did a diet that worked.....i started and in a week and a half i have lost 8 lbs!!!......don't be confused...organic food isn't "DIET" food....it's real food and tastes just as good as normal food.....just doesn't have the preservatives and such in it....it costs a little more but you can still eat hamburgers and whatever...i make sweet tea using organic sugar....it tastes just like the real sugar.....you can get alot of organic stuff at walmart now....cereal, milk, eggs, peanut butter, burritos, pizzas, ham, turkey, chicken, apple juice, grape juice, salad, tomatoes, and dressing....some of the organic stuff tastes better...that's right better than the normal stuff...like the milk and the grape juice doesn't leave that dry mouth feeling in your mouth like the normal kind....trust me!!!...try it and you will be blown away by how good it is....Welch's organic grape juice...so good......i used to drink like 2 or 3 dr. peppers or mt. dews everyday at work...now i just drink water at work and sweet tea when i am at home...the first day or two you will feel kinda bad cuz your body is used to the caffeine but after that you will feel much better....no more sluggish feeling.....i'm totally serious...this works and it will make you alot healthier.....just look for the organic or all natural foods at the grocery store next time you go

2. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    I lost 50 pounds by not drinking soda with minimal exercise. Fuck organic food. :D

[​IMG]

3. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    i lost 25 lbs by eating seafood and no meat, no soda, maybe some tofu but not organic food. lol cut back on sodas and red meat. chicken is fine i guess because its lean. my.02

4. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...Dropping soda alone with do amazing things for your body.

Organics help...and so does balancing everything. You may lose weight eating nothing by organics- but if you don't work out you can still be in piss poor shape.

5. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    i'm not saying you can't lose weight another way...i'm just saying this is easy to do plus you get all of that crap out of your body from the preservatives and such so you will be less likely to get cancer or have a heart attack down the road...in my experience just stopping the soda did very little for me...i once drank only water for a month and lost like 1 or 2 lbs....that's it...granted i'm not some huge fat guy either....just a little around the belly....it's easier for really fat people to lose weight quicker than someone my size...i used to work out and play sports and such but after working all day on my feet in an auto factory....i'm ready to sit down...lol

6. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

We only live once. Give me some grease. :D

7. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    you are still young...very young...wait until you are in your mid thirties then you will understand...lmao...actually it would be ok to eat some non organic food every now and then...it's just not good when you do it every meal of every day

8. Jun 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM
    derekabraham

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner

True, true. :p

I'm just messing with your thread man. :D

9. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:34 AM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    exactly. im happy being a fat bastard. :D

10. Jun 22, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot
    I am sorry I see no health benefits in organic food. Regular old food does the same thing for you. Honestly there is no way to for the food to 100% organic.

Organic food is something a San francisco person came up with to charge more money for the same food.

11. Jun 22, 2009 at 6:25 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    Organic food to me is all marketing. Now I am not naive enough to think that there are not any benefits. Take myself for example. A single working Mom raised three healthy boys on an all conventional diet. Stuff like Oncor frozen type meals, hot dogs and beans, Hamburger helper type meals, you know meals you can put together quickly and easily on nights she was running all over the city for ball games. If a single Mom can raise to this day 3 healthy and active men on perservatives, then I see no reason to drop extra money on "organic" food just because the commercial says it is "healthier".

I come from the belief that anything at moderation will not kill you or make you fat, and that if you are not active there is no type of food that will make you any better off then the next.

12. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:21 AM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    i'm not saying regular food is bad for you...what is bad is the preservatives like high fructose corn syrup and such...that is a proven medical fact...not gonna kill you right away but if you eat alot of that at every meal for 20 years it's gonna do some damage....maybe on regular food you would die at 70 or on organic you may live to 80...who knows?...you may die on the way to work today....but what has been said is that americans are getting fatter and fatter and we all know that is true....why?...people in other countries eat the same foods we do and they aren't as fat....it is because of our preservatives put in our foods like the hormones in the meat and such...i'm not saying go out and eat all organic all the time....but it would be better for you if you did eat as much of it as possible and less of the preservatives

13. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Preservatives and Hormones are two different things. HFCS is a sweetener...Not a preservative. And Americans have been eating these things for DECADES and been just fine.

Eating anything. in moderation, paired with a good physical work out or work routine, will keep you plenty healthy. Eliminating some things, like candy, soda, and pure fats, will help you lose weight faster and maintain it easier.

There are lots of effective ways to lose weight....the key is finding the way that works for you. You yourself said that stopping drinking soda only cut you down a pound or two...but i lost about 4 (and went from 18% body fat to around 9%.

I do eat organic often and use organic milk...but I'm not quite as hard over on it as you are. It's part of a bigger scheme.

14. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    If you stop drinking soda and eating processed food, you will be amazed. I have friends who just stopped drinking soda and that made a HUGE difference. But look on the back of any microwave dinners, snaks, etc and its amazing how much shit ( fat, salt, sugar, and other stuff) is in it. So yes- organic food is good, but its not just organic versus non organic, but rather processed food versus non-processed food.

15. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's

Good for you brother...keep it up.

16. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    ccoorreeyy

ccoorreeyy www.EvolvedFinance.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Los Angeles (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 Debadged
    BHLM, Revenge Fab Rock-Sliders, BFG TA KO's, N-Fab light bar with 4 Hella 500's, Rear Suspension TSB, TRD Exhaust, CB Radio, 100W Ultra bright headlights, JBL Sound
    I only eat organic food. It's so much better for you!

It's funny you say the the food that it's consumed by the majority of the population is "normal" when in theory, organic for is more normal because it's grown more naturally. In-fact, pesticides and growth hormones are somewhat unusual. Ha-ha. And of course it tastes better. There's so much less done to the food in the organic process. Less is more when it comes to growing food.

I stopped drinking soda about a year and 1/2 ago along with caffeine. I noticed a lot of stability in my energy levels after the 2 weeks of withdrawals. It was worth it. Plus, that stuff is expensive! Going out to eat when you can get water for free but instead of ordering a soda could cost as much as 3 or 4 bucks! That adds up like crazy. Plus, the all the crap that's in it destroys the enamel in teeth making them more prone to infection and deterioration. And we all the know it cost serious $$ to take care of teeth.

Good topic. I didn't think anybody would care for this crap. :D

17. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    oshky

oshky Well-Known Member

Member:
    OHIO
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco
    3" Revtek Lift, 2"AAL/5100's(Rear) BHLM, Foglight Mod,Smoked Tails, 17"Eagle Black wheels, 33" Nitto's, Kenwood DNX7180..More to come!
    Well since I have became a health nut over the past few years.. I'll throw in my .02...

Organic and Conventional Foods in my opinion differ in how the foods (animals) are produced. Conventional Foods are produced with over exposure to Pesticides, insecticides, and hormonal additives..Also, many animals on farms are highly injected with antibiotics to keep them alive until they are slaughtered. It doesn't take much to realize that foods without all these additives... are better for you. I would say if your in adulthood.. it doesn't make as much as a difference as if you are a child. When you eat foods treated with all these chemicals, you are subjecting your body to pretty significant dosages of these.. and antibiotics being the worse for kids.. as they are less affected when taking antibiotics for illness.

In the long run, I don't think you can lose weight from changing from conventional to organic... but it does have some deep health benefits!

So if weight loss is what we are talking about... many people have it right. I am not sure of the percentage, but I bet 65% of americans OVEREAT! Just cut back on the bullshit... do some cardio (because the main reason to lose weight and get in shape is to strengthen the heart) and you will more then likely lose some weight!!

I got on this health kick.. about 3.5 years ago... Lost 35+ lbs.. .and over 11% body fat! I feel 100 times better.. and look great too!! Now it's not a diet.. its my way of life and how I eat... which I can pound some food on certain nights.. just not every night!!

18. Jun 22, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    hey way to go on the organic. I always try to eat organic whenever i can. Even the vegetables we grow are organically raised. no pesticides or any of that crap. its the way we were supossed to eat. and Yes, Walmart has been increasing their production line of organic which is really nice.

19. Jun 22, 2009 at 1:00 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Organic food is the same as non-organic food...except not as big, more susceptible to disease/bugs, etc. I will gladly take a large vegetable that has been fertilized and treated against bugs over a small vegetable that has Organic slapped on it so it is twice the price and half the size.

I guarantee you that the reason your coworker lost weight had NOTHING to do with organic food. It is most likely that he changed his eating habits since organic foods tend to be members of healthier food groups. Just saying he would have had the same results eating better food whether it was organic or not.

If you are using organic as a way to eat healthier foods, then I put two thumbs up to that strategy! Whatever it takes to make yourself healthier.

Fun side fact off of a snapple cap: The human body decomposes 3x slower due to preservatives in diet.

20. Jun 23, 2009 at 10:55 AM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    lol...some interesting statements made here...that's cool....all i know is i've lost 8 lbs. in a week and a half so i'm not complaining...lol....big thing is cut back on sodas, and eating at mcdonalds and stuff...lol...maybe once every now and then wouldn't be too bad....but i know the lunchroom food at work isn't good for you..lol...

Products Discussed in

To Top