Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Charcoal vs Propane

View Poll Results: Charcoal vs Propane
Charcoal 43 54.43%
Propane 36 45.57%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
mesquite lump charcoal is the ONLY thing I grill with. =)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
Dave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to allDave is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Retired LE
Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qballenko View Post
I don't think there is a real difference in flavor if you know how to add the flavor to the gas grill. I can get plenty of smoke flavor by using a smoker box in the gas grill.

If i am feeling lazy ill just use liquid smoke. I think liquid smoke is quite underrated.
EWWW.

Using liquid smoke is like using a condom/

It may do the job but it just ain't the same.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal Cooked food tastes better, but I do not think it is worth the time to prepare for Chicken, Pork chops, Steak, Hotdogs, or burgers...

Go with Both, Charcoal Smoker for the slow cook meats, Ribs/brisket and Propane for those you need to "sear" like steak. I always had a hard time searing my meat on the Smoker. I bought a Weber and feel in love. Steak tastes best at 500+ degrees.. try a thick piece on one of those Infrared grills sometime.

I grill probably 2 times a week, sometimes 3. The smoker is for weekends only.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
08_TACO_offroad is on a distinguished road

Name: Jacob
08_TACO_offroad's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 08_TACO_offroad
Propane & Propane accesories...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSter0077 View Post
Charcoal Cooked food tastes better, but I do not think it is worth the time to prepare for Chicken, Pork chops, Steak, Hotdogs, or burgers...

Go with Both, Charcoal Smoker for the slow cook meats, Ribs/brisket and Propane for those you need to "sear" like steak. I always had a hard time searing my meat on the Smoker. I bought a Weber and feel in love. Steak tastes best at 500+ degrees.. try a thick piece on one of those Infrared grills sometime.

I grill probably 2 times a week, sometimes 3. The smoker is for weekends only.
I totally agree! My father in law cooks turkey in a slow cook smoker and it is by far the best meat I have ever had....takes time....

My wife uses our Weber grill EVERY night, so having it hooked up directly to the NG line is fast, easy, and cheap...
Old 08-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #26
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwzild View Post
Getting ready for Labor Day grilling. Just seeing what everyone's preference was. Gas grills are faster and more convenient, but nothing beats the flavor of real charcoal and mesquite chips.
Charcoal FTW.

x2
Old 08-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #27
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
ill agree with most on here, charcoal for taste, gas for convieniance. its nice to throw a piece of mesquite on the coals every now and then for a little extra flavor
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwzild View Post
Getting ready for Labor Day grilling. Just seeing what everyone's preference was. Gas grills are faster and more convenient, but nothing beats the flavor of real charcoal and mesquite chips.
Charcoal FTW.
I add wet mesquite chips to my Weber NG Grill.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #31
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Will there be beef hot links?
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #33
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Well I'm on the fence about this one. I have both, and both have their purpose. I use the propane more often just because its easy. The new grill that I built for the Taco is actually a charcoal grill with propane to get the charcoal going. Because lump charcoal is a pain to start.

Sweet!!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #34
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Been to dam hot out side....Im useing a George Forman grill.....
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #35
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
im not a fan of the taste of charcoal, I prefer propane
Old 09-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #36
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I think propane works fine for smoking...
mmmmm propane flavored chicken.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 PM   #37
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Been to dam hot out side....Im useing a George Forman grill.....
Weak. Suck it up and enjoy the aroma and flavor.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Will there be beef hot links?
I said a brat beef kielbasa hot smoked sausage cheddar wurst
Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
im not a fan of the taste of charcoal, I prefer propane

neg rep for that! jk

But yeah, I guess everyone has thier own pallet but you are the first person I've ever heard of that feels that way.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Well I'm on the fence about this one. I have both, and both have their purpose. I use the propane more often just because its easy. The new grill that I built for the Taco is actually a charcoal grill with propane to get the charcoal going. Because lump charcoal is a pain to start.

I only have issues lighting lump charcoal if its super windy outside.