Notices

Charcoal vs Propane

View Poll Results: Charcoal vs Propane
Charcoal 43 54.43%
Propane 36 45.57%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #41
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Well I'm on the fence about this one. I have both, and both have their purpose. I use the propane more often just because its easy. The new grill that I built for the Taco is actually a charcoal grill with propane to get the charcoal going. Because lump charcoal is a pain to start.

Silver, your rig is AWESOME!!!!! Can you tell us more how you made it? Can you post pics of how you attached it to the hitch receiver???? You need to expand on this...a truly incredible "mod". Phil (I love the church key!!)
Old 09-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #43
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonTacoma View Post
Charcoal...but its hard to cook steaks with the uneven heat
not if you use onion slivers to even out the hotspots.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #44
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Thanks.

Well I bought the grill body at Academy Sports and built the 'frame' out of some steel. Its basically a 2x2" 11 gauge square tube that slides into the reciever hitch. It has 2" angle steel along the backside and 1" angle along the sides and front. The front angle steel is upside down to allow the ash tray to slide out. Small tabs are attached to the sides to allow the grill to mount to it using the factory holes for the legs.. Along the front I also added a large plate to bolt the bottle opener to... and some little brackets for the D shackles for pulling out Jeeps... or hanging utensils on.

Once the grill was mounted I installed some latches to keep the lid from coming open during transport. I also added a small removable shelf to the backside, it slides over the square tube and has a single pin to hold it in place. Its pretty solid.

Like Rudwboy7s said, lump charcoal is a pain to light in the wind. Last weekend I was tailgating at the RR Express game and it was a bit breezy... my buddy burned all the hair off his arm trying to light the damn stuff.... it was impressive to see a 6 foot flame shoot the front opening in the grill! So I modded it to have the propane burner to light the charcoal. Now lighting the stuff is not an issue at all.

Its not done, I have some more "mods" I want to do to it yet. I guess I just can't leave anything alone.
Excellent, please keep us posted. This is something I would like to make....I have been waiting for a reason to tell my wife I am buying a MIG welder...think you just gave it to me!!!! Phil
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #46
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
i use both charcoal and propane. my propane is an infrared grill bad ass as hell and i can use it as a smoker alse . best 600 i ever spent
Old 09-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #47
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
hey silverback nice rig im jealouse as hell
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #48
otter is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
otter's Tacoma Gallery
I use propane. I just can't justify the effort/time of charcoal when I only sear my steaks for about a minute per side then consider them cooked perfectly.