Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Charcoal vs Propane

View Poll Results: Charcoal vs Propane
Charcoal 43 54.43%
Propane 36 45.57%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
dwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nicedwzild is just really nice

Marines: Sgt/6114 - Cobra/Huey Helo Mech, HMLA-773
dwzild's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dwzild
Charcoal vs Propane

Getting ready for Labor Day grilling. Just seeing what everyone's preference was. Gas grills are faster and more convenient, but nothing beats the flavor of real charcoal and mesquite chips.
Charcoal FTW.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Well what's the poll for?

I prefer charcoal but will be using my propane grill for the reasons you listed. Food definitely tastes better over charcoal but it depends on what kind of cookout you are having.

If it's 5 of you and you are having fillets from the butcher, I'd go with charcoal.
If you are feeding a box of burgers to a yard packed with hungry drinkers, propane is the way to go.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Well what's the poll for?

I prefer charcoal but will be using my propane grill for the reasons you listed. Food definitely tastes better over charcoal but it depends on what kind of cookout you are having.

If it's 5 of you and you are having fillets from the butcher, I'd go with charcoal.
If you are feeding a box of burgers to a yard packed with hungry drinkers, propane is the way to go.
Yep, each has it's appropriate use
Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal does taste better but propane is just faster and easier.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
This is kinda like Shampoo vs Conditioner
Old 08-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Who needs 4WD?
neslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shedneslerrah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Harrelsen
neslerrah's Tacoma Gallery
I use wood. A week before classes started I went wood hauling with my family (about 5 truck loads) in prepartion for the winter. Just cut the wood, light the wood, and through a grill on the fire.

But if had to choose between charcoal or propane, I would use charcoal.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #8

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neslerrah View Post
I use wood. A week before classes started I went wood hauling with my family (about 5 truck loads) in prepartion for the winter. Just cut the wood, light the wood, and through a grill on the fire.

But if had to choose between charcoal or propane, I would use charcoal.
I use wood quite often myself. Mostly because I don't have a grill, but also because I love that nice rich oak taste.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
Propane.

"Taste the meat. Not the heat"

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Go with the flow
Hologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the roughHologram is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Hologram's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
BlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlancoTaco08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlancoTaco08's Tacoma Gallery
Charcoal!!!
We all seem to agree that charcoal has the better flavor. So if you’re going to grill, might as well do it the right way. If I’m truly concerned with speed and convenience I would rather eat at a good steak or BBQ place than sacrifice the taste of what I am grilling at home.
Besides waiting for the charcoal to be ready is half the fun of grilling…This is when all the good drinking and BSing happens…
Old 08-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
qballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to beholdqballenko is a splendid one to behold
Army: SSG
qballenko's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think there is a real difference in flavor if you know how to add the flavor to the gas grill. I can get plenty of smoke flavor by using a smoker box in the gas grill.

If i am feeling lazy ill just use liquid smoke. I think liquid smoke is quite underrated.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherk1 View Post
Propane.

"Taste the meat. Not the heat"

Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hologram View Post
HAhaahah!!!! Now thats some funny stuff right there!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
This is kinda like Shampoo vs Conditioner
Shampoo is for cleaning your greasy ass hair. Conditioner is for restoring oils back to the fucker.

Think de-greaser versus lubricant.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Another case of one thing not ruling all occassions. Charcoal for quick stuff when you don't wanna chance running out of gas. Gas when charcoal or charcoal starter fluid use not lawful like in CA & wood for slow smoking. Depends on the situation, equipment on hand & what is is you're cooking. It's all good!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM   #19
HoofHearted
HARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedHARDSHELLTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: McLovin
HARDSHELLTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Charcoal does taste better but propane is just faster and easier.
and cheaper!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
propane is so easy, but nothing beats a charcoal grilled steak. sometimes i need to use some lighter fluid though,