Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

K cup Peeps!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Love the Keurig. Makes a delicious cup of coffee. I get the specialty coffees but on a day-to-day basis, I use the Solofill cup and use a Krups burr grinder. Ends up costing about 1/2 as much as buying the K-Cups and the benefit is fresh ground beans.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
We were discussing today at work actually, but I'm not convinced. I've been using my $30 cappuccino machine for about 4 years now and it's still going strong, and brews one cup at a time. You can make any coffee you want as long as you use an espresso grind, and you can adjust the strength by inceasing the amount of coffee or water. Is it just the variety that people like? And aren't they like $100?

Not trying to hate, I really do want to know why everyone loves them.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
NOT JUST COFFEE:

Makes all kinds of tea, apple cidar, and hot chocolate too... K Cups are now showing up in grocery stores... It's a hit!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
NOT JUST COFFEE:

Makes all kinds of tea, apple cidar, and hot chocolate too... K Cups are now showing up in grocery stores... It's a hit!
That's a good point, though none of those require a special machine like coffee does. Still, added value for sure.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I think this thing has a mind of its own.....
By the time my parents came up from VA - the thing decided to work perfectly all weekend. After that, it sat for 2 weeks without any usage and the next time I tried - it brewed half cup. The next day, it was fine again. Go figure!!

Someone mentioned using Distilled water in them so the don't build up as much crud inside for descaling... so, I went out and bought some distilled water instead of the 'spring' water that I was using.

I'll have to check out the lower pin......
Old 03-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
NOT JUST COFFEE:

Good point, has anyone found an Apple Cider that tastes decent? I've tried a few and they all seem very fake tasting...
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I think this thing has a mind of its own.....
By the time my parents came up from VA - the thing decided to work perfectly all weekend. After that, it sat for 2 weeks without any usage and the next time I tried - it brewed half cup. The next day, it was fine again. Go figure!!

Someone mentioned using Distilled water in them so the don't build up as much crud inside for descaling... so, I went out and bought some distilled water instead of the 'spring' water that I was using.

I'll have to check out the lower pin......
If your water isn't mountain fresh or bottled, you need to get the filter that goes inside the reservoir. Our first Keurig stopped working and we learned it was from mineral buildup on the heating coils... and did the vinegar soak recommended. Southern California water is mostly from the Colorado River, and is very hard.

We got the next model up Keurig a couple years ago and added the filter... you replace the carbon filter packs every two months... Not one failure since! Until you get the filter, I suggest using only bottled water.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
The wife and I are trying to make up our minds on one of these. I like the simplicity and minimal clean up and maintenance.

But I can't help but feel "trendy" about buying one. I ain't a trendy person.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If your water isn't mountain fresh or bottled, you need to get the filter that goes inside the reservoir. Our first Keurig stopped working and we learned it was from mineral buildup on the heating coils... and did the vinegar soak recommended. Southern California water is mostly from the Colorado River, and is very hard.

We got the next model up Keurig a couple years ago and added the filter... you replace the carbon filter packs every two months... Not one failure since! Until you get the filter, I suggest using only bottled water.
I've been using bottled spring water since day 1. I switched to distilled bottle water here a few weeks ago.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #30
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
My sister got one for Christmas and I've used it a couple of times. I don't like the flavored coffee I prefer mine black no sugar no cream.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #31
dusman is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
dusman's Tacoma Gallery
only thing better than K-Cups are a nice D Cup, we got one about 6 months ago and nobody would ever go back to a normal coffee pot after owning one. I'll have to check out the big cat site, thanks
Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #32
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery

get one of these
Old 03-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #33
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post

get one of these

What about an Aero Press?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #34
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
K cups & Keurig brewers love them dont use em but help keep my Green Mtn Stock making me $$!
Also helps employ many of my friends at the K plant!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
K cups & Keurig brewers love them dont use em but help keep my Green Mtn Stock making me $$!
^^ now that is awesome.

though ill say to the rest of you, you all are marketing suckers. paying twice the price just for a convenient cup of coffee. . . and, who only wants one cup of joe in the morning?!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #36
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
^^ now that is awesome.

though ill say to the rest of you, you all are marketing suckers. paying twice the price just for a convenient cup of coffee. . . and, who only wants one cup of joe in the morning?!
I get them for about $0.75/cup and I like variety (plus my fiance and I like different types of coffee). With the K-cups, we can both get what we like. Plus, I only want 1 cup of jo in the morning and another in the afternoon. This way I get fresh coffee whenever I want

Plus the Keurig was given to us as a housewarming present so we didn't have to buy the $100+ coffee machine... Otherwise, I agree with you, coffee gets expensive with the Keurig.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #37
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Also helps employ many of my friends at the K plant!

I don't always drink coffee, but when I do.....I prefer Green Mountain!!

Stay thirsty my friends!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #38
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I get them for about $0.75/cup and I like variety (plus my fiance and I like different types of coffee). With the K-cups, we can both get what we like. Plus, I only want 1 cup of jo in the morning and another in the afternoon. This way I get fresh coffee whenever I want

Plus the Keurig was given to us as a housewarming present so we didn't have to buy the $100+ coffee machine... Otherwise, I agree with you, coffee gets expensive with the Keurig.
oh yeah, i mean i certainly get where they have a purpose, and i'll happily take some of the money theyre making if they want to give it to me. . still, there's something i enjoy about walking down the steps every morning and throwing out yesterday's grounds, rinsing out the filter tray and pot, putting new grounds and water in, and flipping on TW as i hear it hissing in the background while it makes me 6 cups (only 3 actual coffee cups) of dark roasted deliciousness
Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #39
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
When my wife wanted to buy one of these I gave her a hard time -- you can get a coffee machine for $20, and we have like 5 of them already, one of them a single cup maker.

Well, she kept hounding me and said it could be an early birthday present, and now I have to admit that I love the dang thing. I don't drink flavored coffee, but I like a good cup of black coffee that I don't have to pay $4 for. I like the Newman's Own stuff the best. Also nice to have a little espresso after a big juicy steak.

My daughters have also been drinking a lot of hot chocolate. Now if I could get the thing to make me a sammich.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #40
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
What about an Aero Press?

The chemex is easier, less messy, makes more coffee at one time and takes as good or better than a French Press. At least when I compare it to a french press. Is the aero press a french press too?