1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K cup Peeps!

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by Janster, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    So I'm not a huge coffee drinker but seems everyone around me has been getting these Keurig machines. My sister & mother along with folks at work. It's been the latest craze this Christmas. You were lucky to find any of them at the stores. We originally bought a Special Edition and used it for about a month. We kept taking it over to my mother-in-laws for her to use it. So, we bought ourselves another one - the SELECT (BJ's version B77). My mother-in-law bought our other one.

I still have to put a lot of sugar in mine, but I'm starting to like some of the flavored coffees. I had to buy little plastic storage drawers just to hold all of our k-cups. My husband likes the flavored ones and regular coffees while his mother likes them a bit bolder.

We recently made an order from http://www.bigcatcoffees.com/ which allows you to pick paks to 'build your own'. We got a bunch of 'off the wall' flavored stuff. Can't wait till it gets here!

So far, although I haven't tried many....I like the Green Mountain Hazlenut the best. It's amazing the differences in one Hazlenut over the other.
    Gloria Gene's Hazlenut was good, but I think the Green Mountain was smoother.

Other flavors I have:

GM Hot Cocoa
    GM Breakfast Blend (I wish the top of the Kcups would list the boldness)
    GM Nantucket Blend (Melange Nantucket)
    GJ Cappuccino
    GM Colombian Fair Trade Select
    GJ Butter Toffee
    Van Houtte French Vanilla
    GJ Hazlenut
    GM Hazlenut
    Newmans Own Special Blend Extra Bold

Anyone into this thing?

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    ICON Stage 6, RCI Skids, Blacked out
    My dad has one and buys them for people for xmas. and I bought one for my office yesterday. I love it! Janster the best place to get more K-Cups (other then online) is Bed bath and Beyond. THey have the biggest selection and they are the same pice as online stores like Amazon. Th one thing to remember is to ONLY use filtered water because it will get ruined. and if you need to descale it (it will tell you when you need to) go to a kitchen store or a starbucks and you can get some descaling tablets. But they thing is Great.

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Subscribing.

I got my girlfriend a single cup Pod brewer for X-mas, but it just buzzed and jumped around the countertop like an electric football game. I've been looking into K-cups as a replacement/alternative, so I look forward to any comments as well.

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tips!! Unfortunately, we don't have a BBB nearbye. Closest one is about 30 miles. :( I think, once we find our favorites, we'll order online if we can't get them locally. Reading China/Glass outlet seemed to have more to pick from than any place I've been so far.

We've been using bottled water from the stores - and hopefully that'll prevent some funk from building up. Sounds like Descaling should be done periodically anyway. I'll definately have to look into getting some of the tablets.

Where my husband works - they're installing a more industrial unit and putting a coin Op on it. Makes me wonder where they're gonna get their kcups from. A lot of coffee companies are willing to maintain it and supply you with kcups for $$$. His company isn't that big and they don't need those services.

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    Yeah that site had a ton of stuff on it. I actually sent it to my dad. and will use it when I have to buy more for my office.

Yes, Descaling does need to be done periodically. Its like changing the oil in your truck. THe tablets clean it all out and keeps it running well and your coffee tasting great. Its good that you are using the bottled water. That what I use too. My aunt ruined hers using tap water.

Yeah I was looking at that coin one online before I bought the one for the office. They have companies come in and fill them for you. Sorta like a vending machine guy that comes in and supplies the kcups. At my office we are smaller (10 employee at our offices) and supply coffee, soda, vitamin water, energy drinks and bagels to the employees and we were tired of using our normal coffee pot because everyone like their own darkness and flavors. So hopefully everyone like the new maker.

Edit: Spelling error. Not little dogs (beagles) but the food (Bagels)

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    So...are they full grown or just puppies?

7. Jan 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    amaes

amaes Cuz Stock Sucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ Built
    :eek: hahahahaha sorry Bagels

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Anyone have problems with their Keurigs?

I have the B77 (BJ's version) and had it since January.

It's been shutting itself off right after it says 'ready to brew'. Called Keurig and they said to reseat the resevoir tank and run descaling process. Did that (per his instructions) yesterday. That seemed to work....atleast, I never had any problems while descaling it. Now.... the thing isn't brewing an entire cup. While its in the brewing cycle - the hot water pumps back into the resevoir tank instead of the cup for about 1/2 ( or less) of the brewing cycle.
    I remember it actually did this a couple times before but that was it....now, its doing this almost every time you try to brew a cup.

Guess I need to call them again.... Anyone have any insight?

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors

I have a Keurig at home and love it. I've never had the problems your talking about, it sounds like there is a blockage somewhere. We buy our coffee from green mountian coffee www.greenmountaincoffee.com . If you order 4 boxes it ships free and is at the door in 2 days.

10. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    damn, you jackasses!!

i just googled it..now i WANT one.

11. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    There's a "French Toast" flavored coffee K-cup available that's ridiculously good. First time I had it I was at work.

I ended up making french toast for dinner that night.

12. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Wow....TOTALY thought "K-Cups" was someting else.....

13. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Loudpedal

Loudpedal Mind = Blown

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Not really New, not really Mexico
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5-Hole 4x4
    Andres Devil Horns, Goodyear Duratracs, Accidental Tailgate Delete (x2), Billy 5100s, OME 881 coils, Wheeler's 5-leafs, BAMF Sliders with kickouts, Box Rocket Fab Bedrack.
    So did I. Waste of a perfectly good mouse click.

Well maybe not a complete waste. Now I have discovered a product that I can't live without!

14. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    We got one a couple years ago after visiting a relative who had one. Keurig sent us a replacement when it stopped working and highly advised us to do the hard water cleaning on schedule. We got the water filters that go in the reservoir, so far no problems.

We have enjoyed Kona Coffee, German Chocolate Cake Coffee, Sleepy Time Tea, and a few others.

15. Jul 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Got on the phone again with Keurig. Talking to a Tech support person who guided me through a few processes. Clean out a couple things (they weren't dirty) and had me do this unplug/plug thing to cycle the overflow valve. Funny, but before I even started doing that, the thing shut itself off and I didn't even start doing the process yet.

They're sending me a new brewer and some coffee. I have to send back the K-cup holder back to them. That's it. I said, "Do you want me to send the whole thing back?" She said, "No, we don't want it". They just want the k-cup holder. I'm assuming that's so you can't use the brewer anymore.
    I can deal with that.

Maybe I'll get a different model. From what I've read online, these B77's have lots of problems.

16. Jul 27, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    You're exactly right -- sending them the k-cup holder renders the machine useless. It's pretty much the only part of the machine that you can't buy separately.

17. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:20 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Well....damn.... this warranty replacement is acting up again!!

Anyone else have these problems?

I think I can descale & clean these things in my sleep. I've been doing this to mine and my mother-in-laws keurig (that's been acting up also).

Descaled & cleaned this thing last night. It brewed perfect portions for 20 cups in a row as I was rinsing the vinager out. Shut it off, went to bed.... got up this morning to get a cup of coffee and its back to brewing half cups and putting water back in the tank.

What the hell? It's a bit annoying to replace these things every 1.5 years.
    I'll be calling them again.....and maybe there's a new solution or they'll just send me another one (again).

There are other brands - Breville, Cuisinart, and Mr. Coffee Home Brewing Systems, but these are listed on Keurigs warranty page. Are they all the same company and same machines just different labels?

18. Mar 7, 2012 at 4:35 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    We've got 2 Keurigs at the place I work at and they must pump out 30 - 40 cups a day. Originally, we had the regular Keurig, the one you'd buy as a homeowner, and they crapped out in about a year (surprised they lasted that long but our office manager took good care of them and we use spring water only in them). We now have the commercial grade one, the one you can hard pipe to your plumbing and it seems to be holding up much better. It also brews hotter so those Dunkin Donuts K-cups are amazingly close to the store bought coffee.

We've got this place called One Cup near us and it's a store filled with all different types of K-cups and coffee pods. I recently found Green Mountain's Spicy Eggnog coffee and am addicted! I'm also trying Wolfgang Pucks coffees, I just bought them so I'm not sure how they are yet. There's a Donut Shop coffee that's really good for a bold blend.

19. Mar 7, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    Janster, I had a similar problem with ours. I'm not sure if this was the real fix... but it seemed to work. Take a toothpick or a small pipe cleaner and clean out the inside of that little needle pin in the bottom of the K-cup holder. It's not straight so you have to come at it from both the top and bottom. If you are just running vinegar through the machine without a K-cup in the machine the vinegar is bypassing the little needle.

Good luck

20. Mar 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    rjg

rjg Yes

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Spd 2.7
    LCE header, AFE filter, Blinglight Fogs, URD Short Shifter, Delay wipers
    Mine was doing the same thing. Someone told me to do the following:

Try turning it upside down over the sink and hit the bottom of it a few times.

Take the water reservoir off and clean out the part were the water goes into the machine.

When it starts to brew, pinch the plastic water return hose at the top of the reservoir.

Products Discussed in

To Top