Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Cincinnati Chili

Old 02-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Cincinnati Chili

I made a really good Cincinnati Chili for the snowy days here in the DC area... I was told that it tasted VERY close to Skyline Chili. Here is my recipe for 8 servings (I doubled this):

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 pounds ground beef
1/4 cup chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.

Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 6 minutes.

Add beef, in batches if necessary, and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.

Add chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, chocolate, beef broth, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and red pepper. Stir to mix well.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

It is the best if you now refrigerate overnight.

Remove the bay leaf. Reheat gently over medium heat.
Serve over hot, drained spaghetti. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Soooooooo good.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbwoy7s View Post
idk bout cinnimon n chocolate in chili..
Trust me - it's good... I thought the same before I made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekabraham View Post
Soooooooo good.
Dude - did you make this?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
monkeys love chili
Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
NO BEANS !!! I like it !!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
Cincinnati style chili is not much like Texas or other chilis. It's a thinner sweeter style meant to be served up to 5 ways:

• two-way: spaghetti and chili
  • three-way: spaghetti, chili, and shredded cheese
  • four-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, and either diced onions or beans
  • five-way: spaghetti, chili, shredded cheese, diced onions, and beans
It's really more of a fusion dish of chili influenced by Greek cooking. Think Chili meets Pastitsio.

I think there's a lot of potential to the concept though I've not been a fan of the Cincinnati chili itself that I've had. Too sweetly spiced and not enough intensity.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
"Mark It Zero"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbite View Post
Cincinnati style chili is not much like Texas or other chilis. It's a thinner sweeter style meant to be served up to 5 ways:

It's really more of a fusion dish of chili influenced by Greek cooking. Think Chili meets Pastitsio.

I think there's a lot of potential to the concept though I've not been a fan of the Cincinnati chili itself that I've had. Too sweetly spiced and not enough intensity.

Good background info and additions to the thread... Making this chili over winter was a definite nice change of pace from the usual Texas style chilis - which is why I made it
Old 06-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
nees1212 is on a distinguished road
nees1212's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbite View Post

Technically you've only mentioned 4 ways. The 5th would be over a hot dog on a bun with onions and mustard. The classic cheese coney.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
1-way is just the chili as is.