1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Restaurant Check - Split evenly or pay for what you eat?

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by danb86, Mar 14, 2010.

?

Paying for dinner

Poll closed Apr 13, 2010.
  1. Split check evenly

26 vote(s)
    18.7%
  2. Pay just for what you eat

36 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. Get separate checks

77 vote(s)
    55.4%
  1. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    smuggiesrider

smuggiesrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD Off-Road DCSB AT
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    I would tell you the same thing I tell other people.
    I can give you separate checks but the kitchen will get 2 tickets and the food might not come out at the same time.
    Again, If you feel comfortable to eat and sit with your company, PAY WITH THEM!!

I will give you a calculator and pen to figure it out while I wait on thankful good tipping custies that know the difference between good and bad service.
    When I get 10% from that party instead of 15% I could really care less.
    I give everyone the same service and let the tips fall where they will. You want to stiff me. NO PROBLEM!! I'll make it up somewhere else.

The polite thing to ask (Before you order anything) is "If it's not too much trouble we would like separate checks". Ask at the end, your getting a calculator. Also this will help the server Identify you as a cheap bastard who won't leave a very good tip anyway. (People usually have a percentage pre-determined before they walk in the door.

I hope this was a help to you all!!

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    That's what I was thinking. Not in so many words, but yes haha.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    smuggiesrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    TRD 2" Lift kit w/ PRO Grille swap package ARE CX Classic Cap Sumitomo Encounter AT 265/75/16 tires TRD Pro wheels Predator steps Frame salt protection spray Weather Tech floor Mats and rainguards Wet Okole Seat Covers Bedmat Black exhaust tip Bed light LED kit Tailgate mat Eyecatcher tailgate letters Yoda cover for tow hitch and steering wheel Decals for grille, glove box, badges $$$$$$
    You should try waiting on some condesending customers like yourself. Let's see how long your patience lasts!!

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    xJuice

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    Not really....

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    xJuice

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    I'm not condescending until I get a jackass waiter like yourself...

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    ChibbMD

ChibbMD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    I can't vote in this poll because for me it all depends on the situation. Here are a few general rules of thumb for me.

1. If the meals were roughly equal, we just split it 50-50.

2. If the meals were not in the same neighborhood (like the many prime rib vs. salad examples) we're getting separate checks.

Side note on item #2 - I'm all for separate checks and figure 90% of the places out there should be able to easily handle this, but what happened to good old fashioned math people? I've seen it go wrong a million times but shouldn't most people who moved past junior high be able to mentally split up a check including the tax and tip. Addition, multiplication, and maybe some simple division shouldn't be as difficult as some people make it.

3. If I'm out with someone who isn't in as good a financial position as me (i.e. my mom or my out of work buddy), I'll cover the whole thing.

4. On one of our local radio stations there's a dj who talks about playing credit card roulette when he goes out with his buddies. Here's how it works. They eat and drink it up real good. At the end of the night they place all their credit cards in a hat and have the waiter or waitress pull out a card. That guy pays. The next time they go out the person who paid last is exempt from the game. They generally go out at places of similar price range. It can be expensive but it actually seems to work out well and certainly makes the bill a little more exciting.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Pay for what you eat/drink, there is usually one that has 4 or 5 drinks and since I rarely drink I should have to pay for someone elses.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    :rolleyes:

Just like the internet you can always leave

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    I absolutely hate when servers don't ask how the checks should be seperated, especially when you can tell that a person would most likely not pick up the tab. It makes a pain in the ass for everyone including the server. I would say most people pay with debit/check card anyways, and people dont have correct change to divide it out at the table. When this happens I usually skimp on the tip for the already pissed off waiter - since I made him/her go back and seperate the check, like they should of in the first place. Just as a note I am always a good tipper, but sometimes I can't justify it when they can't address the potential issue before we order.

Ha Ha - I think I just found a new pet peeve...

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    To keep things civil I think the best way to describe it is that your prejudice and intolerance has met with my prejudice and intolerance. You represent part of mine. Thank you very much.

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Interesting- Last question. Why quote me then?? Seems like baiting for a convo you don't wanna have...Have fun with your intolerance and prejudice!!

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    stro908

stro908 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    on a lighter note, HB, I like your sig. (nasty pelosi and the deamon) hahahaha....

13. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I'm sorry but I cannot think of a restaurant that I frequent that does not have a POS system. And I have NEVER seen a POS system that sends separate seats as separate checks to the kitchen.

If they don't have a POS system, are you getting a hand written check? If that's the case, I would not return to said restaurant.

Finally, I ALWAYS ask for split checks BEFORE ordering. If we forget, we divide up our own check at the end (or split it if meals are similar). NEVER ASK TO SPLIT A CHECK AFTER A MEAL. That is not easy, even for modern POS systems.

If I was going into a meal knowing it was going to be split evenly, I would be slightly more stressed out - wouldn't want to order the most expensive meal or drink. I don't carry or pay with cash and couldn't throw in the extra money for that drink.
    But if I know I am only paying for myself, I don't have to worry about that.

14. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    MenaceAllen

MenaceAllen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fargo, ND
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White TRD Sport
    Alpine W505 Deck, GPS, WeatherTech Mats, Vent Visors, 18" KMC Monsters w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20% Tint, Bed Mat, Eibach Coils, Blistein 5100's, Rear 1.5" AAL, Lorado Access Cover, TREX Angry Eyelids, AstroStart, 6k H.I.D's
    HAHAHAHAHAH, the customer is always right. Go split my check beeotch. :D

15. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule ......................

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport, debadged
    Icon coil overs up front, Total Chaos UCA, Icon remote reservoir in the back with Deaver 11 pack leafs. Sunroof, Hella 500's behind grill.
    I absolutely HATE going out to eat with a bunch of cheap skates that don't cover their portion. If you order something that is $14.99 plus a $3.00 drink, $20.00 IS NOT enough to cover it! Tax as well as tip need to be taken into account. $25.00 for the $18.00 meal is minimum that should be left.

That being said, I pay for what I eat:woot:

16. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    Bronathan05

Bronathan05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DCSB
    Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Toytec 3" ULK, Flow Master Exhaust, AFE CAI, Painted engine cover, Wet okole Seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Retrofit headlights, LED aftermarket tail lights, and hopefully the list doesn't continue much longer.
    I hate that crap. If youre ordering a meal and a drink, you need to cover 4 things; meal, drink, tax, and tip! Dicks.

Somehow me and one other buddy always get stiffed throwing in another ten extra dollars each it feels like cuz the people who do want to go out are cheap. We just come along for the fun. Seperate checks.

17. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    14.99+3=17.99+2.16(tax)+3(tip)=$23.15 party on.

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    smuggiesrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    im sick of dealing with fucktards like you who dont understand what it's like to work in a restaurant.[/quote]
    x2

Products Discussed in

To Top