Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Home BBQ Smoker

Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #1
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
Home BBQ Smoker

Thinking about getting a Weber Smoker, anyone have anything like this? I've never smoked meat before....

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_d...?glid=8&mid=27
Old 05-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
Get the bigger 22" model. The WSM is an excellent smoker.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
What's you thought behind the bigger one, I usually only cook for a few people.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detail...-5301-C&id=288

I had one of these. I can't remember the dimensions but I smoked 4 salmon filets and 4 kabobs at once on it. You can get them for $40-$60. I got mine at walmart several years go. It worked flawlessly.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
If you're just starting out with smoking.... look into getting an electric smoker. We have a Brinkman that we bought at Home Depot. We enjoy it....Easy to use and easy to maintain temps (so to speak). Easy to get started and learn a bit.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
Electric? I think I'm set on the Weber, what if you don't have electricity?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Bretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBretsuaz48 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bret
Bretsuaz48's Tacoma Gallery
We bought a smoker a few years ago. Its electric and seems to work pretty good. Now I want a one of those Big Green Eggs.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
Ride On
JM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJM76 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
JM76's Tacoma Gallery
I had a little brinkman, the one knock against it was the size of the door to put whatever materials you were smoking with (wood charcoal) other than that, for the times that I used it (twice) I liked it. Oh, I really liked the price too,used from a buddy for $5.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
Electric? I think I'm set on the Weber, what if you don't have electricity?
Are you a caveman?

Or are you talking about taking it camping or something?

Ultimately, you're the one who's gonna be using it and you know what you need. We're just offering suggestions.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
get a traeger, there spendy but incerdibly amaizing.

I love mine!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
I do have a beard but that is about as close to a caveman as I get.

It just seems stupid to have an electric smoker, thats like going camping and bringing a space heater.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #13
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
The 22 fits the whole rack of ribs better, a whole turkey and so on. Just more flexible all around.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonpj View Post
I do have a beard but that is about as close to a caveman as I get.

It just seems stupid to have an electric smoker, thats like going camping and bringing a space heater.
awesome!

i have that exact model. this is my second one. here is my take. it is hard to clean. that water bowl, fills with whatever grease is dripping off your food, and becomes very very gross. it is bullet hot right from the get go- temps drop fast. you have to occasionally light a chimney lighter and use tongs to lift hot coals in one by one. (this is big one) if you are smoking meat for a long time, that water bowl will empty. adding more flavorful moisture providing water/beer..is a BITCH! i used a plant watering jug..with a nozzle.

i have made some great ribs with that thing. chicken too. but i hang the chickng from rods. i put a crate over the water bowl to prevent accidental chicken high dives.

cheap non lighter fluid briquettes burn longer and work better in that rig.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
widget is on a distinguished road

widget's Tacoma Gallery
Brinkman is known for smokers - Weber for grills. Both will do but you'll save some $ probably by getting a Brinkman and it will be just as good. Don't get electric.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget View Post
Brinkman is known for smokers - Weber for grills. Both will do but you'll save some $ probably by getting a Brinkman and it will be just as good. Don't get electric.
Electric pellet smokers are great
Old 06-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #18
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
I put my water bowl in the dish washer. Does most of the work. Then once around the surface with a scrubbing sponge to get off the smoke residue. Not too bad.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
just get a smoker box for your grill you already have, or maybe even make a smoker box. i have used them and they work fine
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #20
PeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nicePeteK is just really nice
PeteK's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely the Weber Smokey Mountain. I got the 18" one and it makes the most perfect Q. As far as size, 18" should be just fine unless you're feeding a ton of people, then get 2 . I can easily fit 6 racks of ribs in mine (3 per shelf). I've used friends Brinkman ones and they are AWFUL to use. The food comes out OK, but it takes a ton of babysitting. The Weber, you just set & forget.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Edit: I bought mine from here. Best price, and arrived perfect in 3 days: http://www.aimtofind.com/weber-18-5-...010-model.html