Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

So I got this $14 Ribeye Steak in my fridge...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
So I got this $14 Ribeye Steak in my fridge...

What is the best way to grill it? It's only one because my wife doesn't like the taste of steak.

I do have a propane grill.
I do have an oven with a broiler.
I do have a cast iron skillet.

The only seasoning I will use is salt and or pepper, no rubs or steak seasonings.

It's about a pound and a half, boneless and an inch and a half thick.

I like my steaks to be just under medium but not meduim rare.

Help me...

Marc M
Old 06-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I put a crust of fresh black pepper on my steaks along with a little salt for flavor. Heat cast iron skillet to about 350 on the grill, slap it on to sear the outside for a few minutes, flip it over, wait a few more........remove, let rest for 2-3 minutes and tear it up..barehands.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
btkicker will become famous soon enough
btkicker's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, that'll do ya. Just be sure to pre-heat. Nice and hot. You can use a drop of water, when it dances, it's ready.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
Lightly rub olive oil on it along with crushed pepper & salt and put on grill until you like the way it looks.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
raw!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
david7268 is on a distinguished road
david7268's Tacoma Gallery
Those sound like good ideas. Nothing but salt and pepper. The only other thing I would recommend is allowing it to get to room temperature before cooking. It will be extremely tender. For those of you that have never tried that, give it a go. It comes out like butta!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #8
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
Personally, I put a crust of fresh black pepper on my steaks along with a little salt for flavor. Heat cast iron skillet to about 350 on the grill, slap it on to sear the outside for a few minutes, flip it over, wait a few more........remove, let rest for 2-3 minutes and tear it up..barehands.
I just got a "new" 70 year old cast iron skillet that used to be my grandmothers. I've been looking up the best way to cook a steak on it. This is pretty close, but I read heat the skillet to 500, sear it 30 seconds on each side and put it back in the the oven for another 2 minutes at 500. I'll be trying this when I get a nice cut of steak to cook.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
a little olive oil....a little butter....salt and pepper. use your skillet.........get it good and hot,and add olive oil and butter,just enough for the steak to sit on. cook it slowly....only turning it once. you'll enjoy.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
cast Iron!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by david7268 View Post
Those sound like good ideas. Nothing but salt and pepper. The only other thing I would recommend is allowing it to get to room temperature before cooking. It will be extremely tender. For those of you that have never tried that, give it a go. It comes out like butta!
letting it get room temp is a great idea. i do this for all my steaks....makes a huge difference.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
Cast iron is a good method. It will produce a lot of smoke in the house though.

I'd grill it personally. You want the fire as hot as it can go and plenty of room to work. A ribeye has enough fat that you'll probably be working around flare ups. So you need the room to move the steak as the grill burns off rendered fat.

2 minutes on the grill, then give a 1/4 turn to make the pretty crosshatch grill marks, for another 2 minutes. Flip, repeat, remove, let rest 10 minutes covered. Serve.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
MonStar
Koov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shedKoov is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Koov's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
I just got a "new" 70 year old cast iron skillet that used to be my grandmothers. I've been looking up the best way to cook a steak on it. This is pretty close, but I read heat the skillet to 500, sear it 30 seconds on each side and put it back in the the oven for another 2 minutes at 500. I'll be trying this when I get a nice cut of steak to cook.

Just like the above, except I would let the meat sit out for 30 minutes room temp before cooking. Put some hawaiian salt and pepper on it, sear it for about 1 minute. Put in oven for about 2 minutes, after that, take out and pour hot melted butter with some parsley in it. I promise you it will melt like butter in your mouth. Happy eating!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:17 AM   #14
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a huge Ribeye fan as I feel its just too fatty. I am a fan of Alton Brown though, and since his Sirloin recipe isn't that much different (flavor similar, cooked a little different), it should be good. It also just uses salt/pepper for seasons, so its made to bring out natural flavors instead of cover them up.

This is Alton Brown's recipe for Rib eye: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html Kinda a combo of Cast Iron and Oven to get the best of both.

I do like his method for cooking Sirloin, and end up doing most steaks like this and have never had a bad experience. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html
Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
all three of those methods work great. how thick is the steak?

here is my latest method. get the steak to room temp. use paper towels and get it dry. salt, fresh ground pepper. have oven to 250 degrees. set it on a rack and slow cook it to 120 degree. finish it on the cast iron by searing it a rocket hot temps. the steak will be med rare all the way thru. no livery grey layer.

any method you use. key is room temp, and paper towel dry the steak. makes for a good seared crust. and with steaks, crust is flavor.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Top Sirlion is actually my favorite cut, but I have had several really great Ribeye's lately and haven't tried to prepare one myself.

I start a forced vacation tomorrow after work and will be off for 9 days. I haven't had that many days off in a row for over 5 years.

I figured I'd cook myself a good steak one afternoon.

Marc M
Old 06-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #17
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
step one: buy a charcoal grill and some mesquite lump charcoal
Old 06-28-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
make sure the steak rests to come close to room temperature before cooking...
get the cast iron as hot as you can...
oil that bad boy up - add salt (not pepper, it burns - add it afterwards)...
sear that up... timing is your discretion....
when done, tent a piece of foil over and let rest for 5 minutes or so to redistribute the juices...
go to town!!
Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #19
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
Thanks for all the replies fellas. Top Sirlion is actually my favorite cut, but I have had several really great Ribeye's lately and haven't tried to prepare one myself.

I start a forced vacation tomorrow after work and will be off for 9 days. I haven't had that many days off in a row for over 5 years.

I figured I'd cook myself a good steak one afternoon.

Marc M
nothing tops a rib eye... the king of steaks - (since it has the most fat and is the most tender...) mmmm......
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
Rudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shedRudbwoy7s is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rudbwoy7s's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
nothing tops a rib eye... the king of steaks - (since it has the most fat and is the most tender...) mmmm......

x2!