Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Food Talk

Notices

Strawberry cobbler

Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Strawberry cobbler

Just made this today, awesome. Here it is, right out of the oven.

Old-Fashioned Strawberry Skillet Cobbler

1/4 cup butter, 1 stick
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 & 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped

Preheat the oven to 400 degress. In a 8 inch cast iron skillet melt a stick of butter.

Meanwhile in a bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk.

In the hot skillet pour the batter into the melted butter and top with the strawberries. Put the skillet in the preheated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until it is golden brown.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
DAMN that looks good. I just made fried chicken and homade gravy in my 12" cast iron that I got from my grandparents this last wknd. I love cooking in those. I have about 15 different cast iron ovens. Do you cook with them a lot?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
DAMN!!

taco08..is your grandma's skillet a lodge..or a GRISWALD?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
DAMN!!

taco08..is your grandma's skillet a lodge..or a GRISWALD?
That's grandma's old skillet. My mother thinks it's at least 70 years old. I found it in an outbuilding of my grandparents old summer place. It says "Favorite Piqua Ware 8A" on the bottom.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
That's grandma's old skillet. My mother thinks it's at least 70 years old. I found it in an outbuilding of my grandparents old summer place. It says "Favorite Piqua Ware 8A" on the bottom.
Thats awesome. I think we are going to half to start are own cast iron thread of Cast iron pans and see what everyone has. There is definatly some old pans out there. I have one from a great grand father that I just got as well. Im going to start getting some pics going and maybe you can find some more of yours and post them up.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
four forty four

Here's a link to something I posted a few weeks ago when I found it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post1824271

I kind of thought I was the only one on here interested in old cookware.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Here's a link to something I posted a few weeks ago when I found it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post1824271

I kind of thought I was the only one on here interested in old cookware.
Well I just made a thread for us to post Pics of our old cast iron collection and share other things as we like.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/foo...ml#post1858785

Im going to try your recipe out this wknd. I love strawberry cobbler and strawberry Rhubarb pie. Damn good stuff.
I have about 6 dutch oven cook books that are some of the best food I or the GF have ever eatin. One favorite is a Enchilada casserole.
1 lg onion,chopped
2 lbs ground beef
1 (10 oz) can tomatoe soup
2 (10) cans enchilada suace
3/4 pound cheddar chees, grated
8 flour tortillas
1 cup sour cream

In 12 inch dutch oven, cook onion and ground beef. Remove from oven and place in large bowl. Stir in the soup and sauce. In the dutch oven, place a 1/4 inch layer of the sauce. Cover this mixture with a layer of flour tortillas, tearing to cover. Cover tortillas with cheese. Place another layer of sauce, tortillas and cheese, repeating until mixture is used. Top with cheese. Place Lid on dutch oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until mixture is bubbling and heated thru. Serve with sour cream.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
four forty four

That sounds good. I don't have a dutch oven (yet).
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
That sounds good. I don't have a dutch oven (yet).
Now ya have a reason to get one. To buy new is kinda expensive. But you can find them at pawn shops or garage sales. I have actually found them new at Wal mart. They carry Lodge at ours which is a good Brand. I bought My 12" there for $28.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery

Looks yummy!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
MAN! i love old antique skillets. i found an old one in a antique shop. i knew very little about skillets. all mine are boring LODGE ones. i hate how the surface is textured ever so slightly. they will never ever be as "non stick" as an old Griswold skillet.

i need to go back and see if they still have that old one. IMO, there is nothing better for deep frying than a dutch oven. i once went to visit a deer camp. it just smelled great..i was hiking by. they were deep frying DONUTS deep in the back woods..i almost sold my soul for one!! they hooked me up with a mug of coffee and all i can eat donuts! love the fellowship found in the woods.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
I love strwaberry pie. Never heard of strawberry cobbler!!!!! I WANT!!!!!