Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Functional hood scoop?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Functional hood scoop?

This just came up in another thread.

Has anyone made their hood scoop functional? For any reason?

Pics please
Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
the only function of mine is catching bugs
Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
These threads are always fun.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
They're about as functional as Steven Hawking's wiener.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
I agree....
Someone has / made a functional hood scoop for 2nd gens., please do post pictures. That would be a great mod.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
kbx10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kyle
kbx10's Tacoma Gallery
Chris 4x4 can tell you more. But making it functional is not really worth it because the pressure there is not sufficient to make the intake worthwhile.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Got that! However, does just opening it up help in cooling the engine compartment?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
I wonder how often he is picking bugs out of his filter? Alos, rain would basically garage it....no?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Engine cooling?
The engine bay is a high pressure, low velocity area. The airflow over the scoop is a low pressure, high velocity streamline...You might create a minor venturi effect out of the scoop, but with the radiator and fan set where they are...I don't know if you'd see an appreciable decrease in temps.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
krumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to beholdkrumble is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jon
krumble's Tacoma Gallery
Also for it to function you would need a much larger scoop. Look at any car that actually has one. The STI for example would be an ideal size if not larger.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Got that! However, does just opening it up help in cooling the engine compartment?
If it won't grab air to feed the engine then how will it grab air for cooling? Your cooling system is more than enough to keep the 4.0 cool.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
hey everyone, the link above with the pictures is one of my old threads. as of today, i am still running that exact setup with the stock intake (k&n drop in) hooked up to the scoop.

as for the statement in the OP of that thread about acceleration increase...there isn't any...just the old butt dyno f'ing with me as usual . after having it for over a year, i can say that there is no noticable change in performance or milage in either direction, so if that's why you're thinking about doing the mod....dont.

the one huge difference it made though has to do with my air filter...it's amazing how clean it stays now. i used to take out the k&n every oil change and there would be bugs, leaves, dust, you name it, all jammed between the filter fins. I drive on a lot of dirt roads when i'm in florida, which used to wreak havoc on my filter with all of the dust that got kicked up. having the scoop hooked up seems to work wonders for keeping it clean.

and for those wondering, i did take precautions to make sure that rain would not make it into the engine.

-Colin
Old 07-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #17
Johnny M50 will become famous soon enough

Name: John
Johnny M50's Tacoma Gallery
I got my Tacoma with the hood scoop modified so it's functional. I find all it does is let heat out once I stop. Other than that, that scoop is rather annoying.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
If it won't grab air to feed the engine then how will it grab air for cooling? Your cooling system is more than enough to keep the 4.0 cool.
i was referring to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
The engine bay is a high pressure, low velocity area. The airflow over the scoop is a low pressure, high velocity streamline...You might create a minor venturi effect out of the scoop, but with the radiator and fan set where they are...I don't know if you'd see an appreciable decrease in temps.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #19
Bobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant futureBobo_1 has a brilliant future

Army: C Co, 2nd Bat 75th Inf
Name: Bobo
Bobo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
The bolded part is debatable...The hood scoop is in a low pressure area and would not provide any aerodynamic or air quality benefits.
Why is this a low pressure area? I have built ram air induction systems with my cars. This is the first truck I plan on modding. The real difference in my car hoods and this TRD sport hood is the scoop is set further back.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_1 View Post
Why is this a low pressure area? I have built ram air induction systems with my cars. This is the first truck I plan on modding. The real difference in my car hoods and this TRD sport hood is the scoop is set further back.
Its a low pressure area due to the shape of the vehicle. Do sone research on areodynamics, and vehicles, and it will become clear.