1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Porch Roof???

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kris77, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I have a 5/12 roof on my house. I have a sloped roof on my porch now and i want to take that off and add a gable...

Ok terrible pics but its all i could find online...

This is pretty much what i have...
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much what i want...(roof wise)

[​IMG]

My question is...How to attach the back of the porch to the front of the house, and still make my overhang meet the overhang of the original house. Does that make sense?

I can attach a 2x10 straight to the house and nail to it, or i can add 2 posts on each corner. neither of which i want to do.

In the bottom pic, how do you think they attached that roof to the house? Did they tie into the existing rafters? If so, that would put your porch higher than the original house right? My truss need to sit even with the existing truss to make the overhang meet up.

Hope that all makes sense.

thanks

2. Jul 8, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    thecoldone06

thecoldone06 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    Got any actual pictures of your situation ??

You will need to make your own roof rafters to work it out properly.

When I put my porch roof on I just figured out how high i needed the center, then figured out where I wanted the gutters to be and went from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marc M

4. Jul 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    porch rafters should sit on a beam that is same height as whatever the rafters that you want to match are sitting on, probably just the top of the wall. The beam ties back into the wall. Project can be done but it is no small task. I see several issues on both sides of the porch that are going to complicate matters. I don't know your skill level. You might need a carpenter in your yard, not on your computer. More pics would help.

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Im pretty good with building things. I actually built a front porch for a neighbor about 5 years ago, but i cant remember how i tied the beam to the house. Im thinking i just might have to set a post next to the house and put some kind of decorative something around it when im done. I also thought about joist hangers and just attach them to the house, but not sure of the load they can carry. We get some pretty decent snows here too, (sometimes 24"+)

6. Jul 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Looks like a beam hanger would work where the beam ties in by garage door, maybe a 2x4 plate on top of beam that laps over/into a notch cut in existing wall top plate. but you're going to hit brick on the end by front door. A post would be easiest on the right side, but it wouldnt easily match existing posts. If you're matching existing overhang, it looks like your posts are going to be too short anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top