Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Front Porch Roof???

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Front Porch Roof???

I have a 5/12 roof on my house. I have a sloped roof on my porch now and i want to take that off and add a gable...

Ok terrible pics but its all i could find online...

This is pretty much what i have...

This is pretty much what i want...(roof wise)

My question is...How to attach the back of the porch to the front of the house, and still make my overhang meet the overhang of the original house. Does that make sense?

I can attach a 2x10 straight to the house and nail to it, or i can add 2 posts on each corner. neither of which i want to do.

In the bottom pic, how do you think they attached that roof to the house? Did they tie into the existing rafters? If so, that would put your porch higher than the original house right? My truss need to sit even with the existing truss to make the overhang meet up.

Hope that all makes sense.

thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
thecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thecoldone06's Tacoma Gallery
I helped my dad build an extension onto his garage and had to tie the extensions gabled roof into the existing gable of the garage. We did it like this:

The page I got the image from kind of explains it but that seems to be what you'd need to do.

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...o-old-one.aspx
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Got any actual pictures of your situation ??

You will need to make your own roof rafters to work it out properly.

When I put my porch roof on I just figured out how high i needed the center, then figured out where I wanted the gutters to be and went from there.

Marc M
Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
porch rafters should sit on a beam that is same height as whatever the rafters that you want to match are sitting on, probably just the top of the wall. The beam ties back into the wall. Project can be done but it is no small task. I see several issues on both sides of the porch that are going to complicate matters. I don't know your skill level. You might need a carpenter in your yard, not on your computer. More pics would help.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Im pretty good with building things. I actually built a front porch for a neighbor about 5 years ago, but i cant remember how i tied the beam to the house. Im thinking i just might have to set a post next to the house and put some kind of decorative something around it when im done. I also thought about joist hangers and just attach them to the house, but not sure of the load they can carry. We get some pretty decent snows here too, (sometimes 24"+)
Old 07-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a beam hanger would work where the beam ties in by garage door, maybe a 2x4 plate on top of beam that laps over/into a notch cut in existing wall top plate. but you're going to hit brick on the end by front door. A post would be easiest on the right side, but it wouldnt easily match existing posts. If you're matching existing overhang, it looks like your posts are going to be too short anyway.