Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

are these good deals for welders torches?

Old 07-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
are these good deals for welders torches?

im trying to get into metal fabrication, i have a lil bit of money to spend on tools but wanted to run these adds by yall and see if any of them are a good deal. i know the welders arent great but im saving up for a miller matic but the main thing i was eyeng was the acytaline torch and should i buy a torch first or a welder?

welder sale-bxefq-1855883992@craigslist.org

good welder! http://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/1855860046.html

torch http://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/1836901508.html
Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
well ask yourself this first.. what would you use the torch for?? and is it really needed.... to date i still don't have a torch in my shop, just no need for it.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
the only reason i can think of the torch is to cut and weld atleast until i got a welder, but if i buy the welder i always have a sawsall
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i too want to get into welding and fabrication. stick is messy and ive heard its pretty tough to do. ive also heard its the strongest? personally i want mig. for 700 you could buy a new lincoln powermig 180c
Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i could see using the torch to cut some, although it leaves a really rough cut that will require cleaning up afterwards but you'll be better off using an actual welder to weld versus a torch.. and as far as starting off your best bet for cutting and not having to clean it up afterwards is a grinder with a cut off wheel. that will leave a nice clean cut for you (provided you can keep it going straight)

i would recommend getting a good welder first. i have a lincoln 180 that has been an awesome machine, very capable
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
mig is plenty strong if done right... the thing with any weld type is it all depends on the capabilities of the operator... you can have the best welder in the world but if you don't know how to work it its just a big paper weight... and remember practice makes... well better alteast
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
mig is plenty strong if done right... the thing with any weld type is it all depends on the capabilities of the operator... you can have the best welder in the world but if you don't know how to work it its just a big paper weight... and remember practice makes... well better alteast

as long as you practice right. if you practice shitty youll just pick up bad habbits.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
i might save up a few hundred more dollars then, ive got sawzalls, grinders, and a vise i just need a tubing bender and a welder i think lol

i need a dang real job first though
Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I used to do some metal fab (unfortunately no truck stuff). I only used a torch for cutting and heating steel for bending. I'd go for a good wire fed welder first. The arc welders are good to learn on, but unless you're going to welding on farm equipment, I'd go with a wire fed welder, chop saw and angle grinder.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
What do you plan to weld?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
wanna practice and start fabbing sliders bumpers ect
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Tacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacorunner87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Tacorunner87's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend not getting a stick welder, Save some money and pick up a mig welder. If you can afford a 220v mig go that route if not you can get buy with a 110v welder. Benders can add up really fast. But get yourself a nice grinder,drill, vise. You can make a harborfreight notcher work by shimming it or buy a nice one like a jd2 or something.