Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Rubber Mulch

Old 08-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Rubber Mulch

Just got finished putting this stuff down yesterday. Its actually pretty neat.

Never have to mulch again, i'll tell ya that.

30 yr color warranty. 99% weed free. Pretty awesome stuff.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
There is only one thing I don't like about it......the cost. It's probably ground up old tires and they want $9 bag for it. If it were cheaper, I would replace all of my wood mulch with it.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
no joke on the cost factor! I used it around my kids playground. I took my trailer thinking that about 60 bags would do it. After spreading it and seeing I WAY underestimated, I started feeling like I was spreading dollar bills around on the ground for my kids to play in. 50 more bags later (110 total) it finally had a decent base. Ended up costing me more than my kids playground itself.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought about it as well, but the cost turned me off.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
well, my thoughts on rubber mulch are not so positive. (edit: unless used on playgrounds as aggie97 said) rubber mulch doesn't offer any benfits to the soil which in turn doesn't offer any benefits to the plants. a good mulch should add nutrients back into the ground as they decompose. sure, you have to put down natural mulch more often but the ecological beneifits are mch better. not all mulches are created equal. good reading on mulch: http://ktrh.com/pages/gardenline_new...ine_4-8-10.htm
Old 08-30-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
I went from pea gravel in the flower beds to this rubber mulch. 60 bags = 700$ First person in my town to do it. City paid for half, local college paid for most of the rest. Using my house as an example for other ppl. Some big kick about trying to beautify the town.

No weeds, never have to touch it again. Ended up paying like 125$ out of pocket for it.

So cost wasn't a factor for me.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
I went from pea gravel in the flower beds to this rubber mulch. 60 bags = 700$ First person in my town to do it. City paid for half, local college paid for most of the rest. Using my house as an example for other ppl. Some big kick about trying to beautify the town.

No weeds, never have to touch it again. Ended up paying like 125$ out of pocket for it.

So cost wasn't a factor for me.
That's awsome! I wish I could get some city/college money to pay for some rubber mulch. Got any pics??
Old 08-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Born in the Backwoods

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Just finished it up yesterday. Have to take pics to send in to the paper and all that happy stuff for the city. Too tired yesterday to take any.

I had to rake and shovel all that pea gravel up. Lay down more weed barrier, she wanted to curve the border instead of leaving it straight like it was, so i had to install a curved border and then replant grass seed where the curve was, and on top of that, i still had to lay the mulch. And we got half red and half brown, so i had to mix it in a wheelbarrow first before i laid it down.

Pretty time consuming, but i think it looks good. I'll post the pics later this week.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a great idea but probably WAY too expensive for my taste.
How much of that stuff for a full scoop?

Wouldn't that stuff get extremely 'hot' ?? Would it evaporate the moisture because of the heat?

Although, the one good thing about regular mulch - is that it breaks down and becomes the soil which I would assume, is good for the plants (adding to the soil).