Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

generator problem

Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
generator problem

I have a generator that starts for like 10-15 seconds then shuts off for no reason. I change the fuel and still does the same thing.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
It's running out of fuel. It's plugged up somewhere be it the fuel filter or in the carb. Or chances are the real reason there is a hole somewhere in the fuel line.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
It's running out of fuel. It's plugged up somewhere be it the fuel filter or in the carb. Or chances are the real reason there is a hole somewhere in the fuel line.

ok so i took the carb out cleaned it put it back on same problem. i went and bought seafoam i put it on started good but then shut back off.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
No holes in the fuel line? If it gets a bit of air it will stall.

Next is check that the automatic throttle is working properly and check the air filter to make sure it's not being restricted somehow. When the automatic throttle speed governor kicks it to increase the RPM to the proper set point if there is a restriction on the incoming air it will stall because it will flood. Sure the choke is not stuck ? Does it have one?

Is it a Honda or a Briggs and Straton motor ?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
blackbox will become famous soon enoughblackbox will become famous soon enough
blackbox's Tacoma Gallery
Check the oil? A lot of generators I've seen shut themselves off if the oil level gets too low. So I would check the oil level, if that's ok, check the oil level sensor and shutoff mechanism, I don't know how they work, I've just seen it advertised on generators.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #6

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check the oil? A lot of generators I've seen shut themselves off if the oil level gets too low.
Good point, Forgot about that one.