Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

4 cycle craftmen trimmer shuts down

Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
vandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to all

vandolizm's Tacoma Gallery
4 cycle craftmen trimmer shuts down

Have a craftsmen 4 cycle 29cc trimmer. It shuts down or runs really rough when i trottle. Is it bad gas, or is it something else.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
vandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to allvandolizm is a name known to all

Gas tank was full.
Trimmer has been used 2 times a month since purchased in 2008.
Nothing visible. Did notice gas on my fingers when I touched the gas lines.
Never been serviced.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
Well a gas leak on the lines is no good. It will suck in air threw the hole and be nothing but problems. The other one I'd check is the plug. You might find it needs to be replaced. Even when they look good they could still be done. You need to test it in a spark plug tester and since you probably don't have one of those the easiest and cheapest way is just replace it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 40-cc model and I had the same issue when the oil level was low.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
If you left it for any length of time more than a month, the gas may be clogging the fuel filter (when gas dries it leaves a kind of shellac). I had two of the same trimmer and had to pull the spark plug to soak the cylinder in WD40, and replace the fuel filter.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Why the hell would they make a 4 cycle trimmer?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I'm going to change the spark plug and the oil.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Why the hell would they make a 4 cycle trimmer?
Because the government has enacted stiffer emissions restrictions on power equipment.

Could be a clogged spark arrestor. Common problems on the the new 4 cycle trimmers. Its basically a screen over the exhaust. Clean that out, change the plug and you should be good.

Your main problem is that its a crapsman. Take that piece of junk back. Spend the extra money and buy a good trimmer. Stihl, echo, redmax, shindaiwa, kawasaki are all great brands and will last you a long long time. They also offer reasonably priced homeowner grade models.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
Throw it away and buy a Stihl trimmer. I've used the same Stihl trimmer for the past 15 years with no problems!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Because the government has enacted stiffer emissions restrictions on power equipment.

Could be a clogged spark arrestor. Common problems on the the new 4 cycle trimmers. Its basically a screen over the exhaust. Clean that out, change the plug and you should be good.

Your main problem is that its a crapsman. Take that piece of junk back. Spend the extra money and buy a good trimmer. Stihl, echo, redmax, shindaiwa, kawasaki are all great brands and will last you a long long time. They also offer reasonably priced homeowner grade models.
(not directed at you)
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
(not directed at you)
I agree. All those stupid environmentalists ruining a perfectly good technology. Its a ~20-30cc engine for goodness sakes, there are things out there that pollute far more than a string trimmer.

Its gonna be a few more years before the 4-cycle technology gets its kinks worked out. Currently they are very touchy (even the pro models) which is not very convenient when you are in the landscaping biz. Time is money and having to deal with a touchy trimmer wastes money. They are also a lot heavier than their 2-cycle counterparts which leads to more operator fatique which leads to less productivity which leads to less money made.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 AM   #13

You're right, Craftsmans are junk. My craftsman mower sucks too. I'm trying to get another year out of them then in the trash they go.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandolizm View Post
You're right, Craftsmans are junk. My craftsman mower sucks too. I'm trying to get another year out of them then in the trash they go.
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and buy good quality equipment next time. Go to a local small power equipment dealer and buy your equipment. They generally have pretty comparable prices to the big box store but they offer the maintenance and parts support that the big box stores don't provide. For a good homeowner 21" walk behind, I would suggest Honda, Snapper, or Toro they all make great quality equipment. The brands I suggested in my previous post are all great trimmers and are what the pros use.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to check the fuel cap vent hole. If it gets plugged, it may idle fine, but choke out when you throttle up.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #16

Chris, I think that's it. It runs a little longer each time I remove the gas cap and tighten it back open. I was looking at the cap, when i pull the little tab, should it pull out a little to vent?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandolizm View Post
Chris, I think that's it. It runs a little longer each time I remove the gas cap and tighten it back open. I was looking at the cap, when i pull the little tab, should it pull out a little to vent?
Not sure off hand what its like. There should be a little hole in the fuel cap. Use a compressor and blow air thru it.