Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #2021
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Wouldn't be a biggie on the rocks. You're not dragging horizontally over the corners or anything and if you're hitting the front and back corners you're probably doin it wrong. Square tube is stronger too. It's really about look preference
Gotcha! Yea I was leaning towards square tubing also for the ease of butt welding without having to notch and the more surface area for welds.
Thanks y'all!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #2022
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
Square tube is stronger too. It's really about look preference
Be careful with this statement.

Square tube is not stronger in all cases. It is stronger in bending when flat top and bottom, due to the increased material located away from the neutral axis.

When placed in bending with corners top and bottom it is not stronger.

Also the dent or crush resistance of square tube is much lower than round tubing as well.

But yeah, mainly a matter of preference.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #2023
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I have dents in my 1.75'' x .120'' wall DOM sliders. i can't imagine what equall thickness box would look like at this point. box does slide realy nicely along things though, due to thetypically lower pressures at the contact point.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #2024
Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass
killianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shed

killianeric's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some stuff that was welded for my brother's truck. One of the guys at the shop did all this

They removed the spare tire and made a rack for the three batteries

The motorized piece behind the the iPad

Screws on to the mount. And a video of it all together, but still incomplete http://instagram.com/p/es2M8yw4D8/
Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #2025
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
My welds are actually improving a lot. I think the biggest improvement came when I did practice runs for each bead, just to check and make sure my elbow wouldn't hit anything and I had a decent grip. Both of which contributed a lot to the shitty welds I had before.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #2026
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
My welds are actually improving a lot. I think the biggest improvement came when I did practice runs for each bead, just to check and make sure my elbow wouldn't hit anything and I had a decent grip. Both of which contributed a lot to the shitty welds I had before.
I always do this, make sure nothing gets hooked when trying to move, space, grip, etc. So many times I find I am stepping on the leads or something stupid too
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #2027
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post

Looking good John
Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #2028
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What have I done
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #2029
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
You sir have balls, big brass ones!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #2030
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
What have I done

haha, I remember that same feeling!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #2031
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Been working on this lately:

Lots of welding here.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #2032
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
You sir have balls, big brass ones!
I just enjoy being the youngest fabricator on here
Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #2033
DerpWerx Fab

I hate warping.. I hate warping. I hate warping.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #2034
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
enjoy it man! I look back on some of the stuff I fabbed in highschool and shortly thereafter, and it was pretty cool.

after getting a job as a fabber, my mind apparently closed substantially. i was at a get-together a while back when i suddenly noticed the bbq we were cooking on was one i made in high-school. i was able to admire the creativity that went into it as i can no longer do that today.

all cuts free-hand torched, tubing bends made by notching, bending, welding, and blending smooth. (using a cutoff wheel to remove material every inch and "kinking" bends). just seems like i cant do shit anymore that isn't ok'd by and engineer (they only like squares and triangles. . . right triangels), cnc cut, and fit to perfection.

i fucking over-think everything i do on my own now, and am trapped by it. bottom line: if you want to continue being a good fabber, don't get a job as one, especially in a shop that caters to industrial/commercial needs.

for the record, i am no longer an in-shop fabricator, i run piping for the same company. layout, fit, and weld. fun stuff, but in learning piping, i was groomed to no longer trust any joint not covered in 7018. . . fml
Old 09-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #2035
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Been working on this lately:

Lots of welding here.
well that's not very fair now is it? wheres mine?

seriously, what axle are you running?

and my main question is, why no leaf sprun solid axle 2nd gens out there? i want to see that, so i can copy it
Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #2036
DerpWerx Fab

For sure! Everything I make is free hand cutting with a torch and grinding it to fit lol. I definitely wouldn't mind getting into fabrication as a career but would rather work out of a small time shop that still did stuff the old fashioned way rather than CNC everything.

Just feels more custom and homemade if you cut every piece yourself in my opinion.

Like tonight's learning lesson = don't forget that metal warps lol, so simple yet didnt even think about it before cutting with a torch.

So after 12+ hours of building a high clearance bumper today, I'm calling it a wash and cutting everything off cause I'm not happy with it lol.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #2037
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Soon you'll be the old guy

Quote:
I hate warping.. I hate warping. I he warping.
Me to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
enjoy it man! I look back on some of the stuff I fabbed in highschool and shortly thereafter, and it was pretty cool.

after getting a job as a fabber, my mind apparently closed substantially. i was at a get-together a while back when i suddenly noticed the bbq we were cooking on was one i made in high-school. i was able to admire the creativity that went into it as i can no longer do that today.

all cuts free-hand torched, tubing bends made by notching, bending, welding, and blending smooth. (using a cutoff wheel to remove material every inch and "kinking" bends). just seems like i cant do shit anymore that isn't ok'd by and engineer (they only like squares and triangles. . . right triangels), cnc cut, and fit to perfection.

i fucking over-think everything i do on my own now, and am trapped by it. bottom line: if you want to continue being a good fabber, don't get a job as one, especially in a shop that caters to industrial/commercial needs.

for the record, i am no longer an in-shop fabricator, i run piping for the same company. layout, fit, and weld. fun stuff, but in learning piping, i was groomed to no longer trust any joint not covered in 7018. . . fml
I'm the opposite kinda, when I'm making stuff for myself i hardly even think about it, my anal self somehow disappears. kinda annoying on things i actually want to look good but i like not cutting to some crazy decimal number, just hack the shit off!

Quote:
For sure! Everything I make is free hand cutting with a torch and grinding it to fit lol. I definitely wouldn't mind getting into fabrication as a career but would rather work out of a small time shop that still did stuff the old fashioned way rather than CNC everything.

Just feels more custom and homemade if you cut every piece yourself in my opinion.

Like tonight's learning lesson = don't forget that metal warps lol, so simple yet didnt even think about it before cutting with a torch.

So after 12+ hours of building a high clearance bumper today, I'm calling it a wash and cutting everything off cause I'm not happy with it lol.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #2038

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
not seeing any warping in the last pics. You need some tools to blend yo welds.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #2039
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
not seeing any warping in the last pics. You need some tools to blend yo welds.
It's not finished. I need to hit it with some 120grit flap disk and it'd blend nicely. Here's the warping
Old 09-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #2040
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's not finished. I need to hit it with some 120grit flap disk and it'd blend nicely. Here's the warping
How thick is the plate?

Products Discussed in this Thread