Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #4141
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
So I've found a coop here in Houston called Houston Makers Space that looks to have a very nice metal shop in the works. I live in a loft so owning a welding rig isn't really an option. The coop is only a mile and a half from my place and costs $35 a day, or more for extended periods.

Tonight I'll be taking my first welding class! The class is taught by the guy that runs the metal shop at the coop. I will still have to test on the coop's equipment before I'm let loose though. Tonight is the first step towards having this equipment at my disposal.

We'll see how I do. I've only tried to mig weld once with flux core, and that was years ago.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4142
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
$649 for hobart 190 (no spool gun) at TSC until the 15th. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...pool-gun-ready

Very tempted to go pick one up
Old 06-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #4143
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I think the class I took went pretty well. It was a one on one class so I basically spent two hours welding. The machine was a Miller 211 using 0.035 wire and mix gas. I think that's the wire size he said we were using.

My first beads

16ga flat bar

1/4" bar stock with a 1/8" overlap on a 16ga square tube, downhill

Also played around with some thin stuff, this is 24ga.

So, how'd I do?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #4144
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Well, I think the class I took went pretty well. It was a one on one class so I basically spent two hours welding. The machine was a Miller 211 using 0.035 wire and mix gas. I think that's the wire size he said we were using.

My first beads

16ga flat bar

1/4" bar stock with a 1/8" overlap on a 16ga square tube, downhill

Also played around with some thin stuff, this is 24ga.

So, how'd I do?

pretty good. Need more wire for the heat. and a stead pace either forward or down. You got it bud
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4145

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyRRT View Post
pretty good. Need more wire for the heat. and a stead pace either forward or down. You got it bud
Thanks

I'm looking forward to getting some more practice in. That skid plate of mine isn't going anywhere all tacked up. Need to get it finished.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #4146
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Real world ugly. On the job amored cars
Old 06-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #4147
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of vehicle? Looks like a shitload of weight
Old 06-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #4148

EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Look up Cyclone swat
Old 06-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #4149
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty sweet. 17-19klb!!
Old 06-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #4150

EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
To see all we do. Go to armored-cars.com
Old 06-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #4151
The Sticker Guy

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Thats sweet... Do they re-do the gearing and suspension on the suv's/cars or just let them rock?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #4152

EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
They only upgrade the suspension with ironman 4x4
Old 06-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #4153
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery

Old 06-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #4155
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Guys I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a couple of gas cylinders. I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth so any advice from local guys would be appreciated. I found a guy selling 2 - 244cf cylinders with fresh 10 year certs. He wants 275 per bottle and he will have one filled with c25 and the other argon for me. First, from some of the prices I've seen, this doesn't sound horrible to me but I wonder if I could get a better deal. And two, will airgas even fill these for me? This guys said airgas is a pain in the ass and he takes his to praxair. Am I getting a fair price? Anyone local know some place else I should look? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #4156
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Seems a little steep in price, but what do I know. I own all my bottles, so I don't have a dog in this hunt.

As for getting them filled, it doesnt matter where you got them from first. I've recieved every brand out there over the last 30 years. You are just trading in for a full one. You will never see the original bottle again.

I set up an account with my AirGas years ago. I can remember before that, that these guys didn't want to deal with the low volume consumers. After I got the account, they treated me better.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #4157
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I thought it was too high at first too but I keep seeing 125s go for the same price. I don't know, I'd like to just find a couple for 100 a piece but I've looked for a couple months and nothing is popping up.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #4158
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
Guys I'm about to pull the trigger on buying a couple of gas cylinders. I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth so any advice from local guys would be appreciated. I found a guy selling 2 - 244cf cylinders with fresh 10 year certs. He wants 275 per bottle and he will have one filled with c25 and the other argon for me. First, from some of the prices I've seen, this doesn't sound horrible to me but I wonder if I could get a better deal. And two, will airgas even fill these for me? This guys said airgas is a pain in the ass and he takes his to praxair. Am I getting a fair price? Anyone local know some place else I should look? Thanks!
Try calling Gasco off of Quebec st in Dallas tomorow. Seems like the price you would pay directly from them. They have the cheapest cylinders out of anywhere in the area.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #4159

Thanks Adam!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #4160
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
welding exhaust:

just noticed that I've got a pinhole in my Y-pipe but sense I've been thinking about getting that whole side redone it's not of immediate importance to me but it is obviously gonna push that mod forward. my question is about doing the mod myself. Looking at the pipe it seems there's enough or would only need to be a little piping added to do or I could go to the local store and get some if needed but I'm worried about just burning through such a thin metal... I've got the good 'ol harbor freight 170 amp welder and I know I'd need to set it on the lowest power settings but what're y'alls suggestions on wire, is .035 too thick?

Products Discussed in this Thread