Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #4301
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Are you cutting the wire between cold starts? If my wire stops glowing between beads I always cut off the little burnt tip I get much better starts like that.
I'm not. And I have noticed if theres a blued/oxidized ball on the end of the wire that those are the times it will initially sputter when striking the arc. I gues I should try that and see if it solves the issue, just a bit more time consuming between beads. Just find it strange as my other machines start smooth each time without cutting the ball off.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #4302
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Any one see the new Lincoln Power Mig 210? It's a dual voltage 110/220v machine, Mig and DC stick and Tig welder. Rugged construction, 40 lbs, digital color screen diaplay. Msrp of $999
Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #4303
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Any one see the new Lincoln Power Mig 210? It's a dual voltage 110/220v machine, Mig and DC stick and Tig welder. Rugged construction, 40 lbs, digital color screen diaplay. Msrp of $999

Saw that. The local weld shop guy started in on it pretty quickly after I got there. It must be good commission or something.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #4304
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I'm not. And I have noticed if theres a blued/oxidized ball on the end of the wire that those are the times it will initially sputter when striking the arc. I gues I should try that and see if it solves the issue, just a bit more time consuming between beads. Just find it strange as my other machines start smooth each time without cutting the ball off.
Yeah its second nature for me if it cools enough to not be glowing I snip it off before starting the next weld.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #4305
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Remember, if you have switched from flux core to solid core with gas, you need to switch the polarity on the welding machine.

KO
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #4306
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot how much I love my plasma.. Bumped my air pressure up by ~5 PSI - amazing how much dross that it eliminated from my cuts.

Latest project, geometric firepit.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #4307
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies guys.

- I always try to grind down the area where the ground clamp will be, but I guess I should make sure the ground clamp isn't dirty and check the connections.
- I always cut the tip off the end before starting each weld. Only because I thought you were supposed too.
- I did switch from flux but I changed the polarity- I will double check though.
- I'll check the gas hose and connections.
- I'll check the liner and drive wheels.

And I'll test what Eric said about when it happens to him he just stops and restarts and it works better.

Thanks again guys. It's awesome to see the talent in here. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #4308
OutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to beholdOutbackHack is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
OutbackHack's Tacoma Gallery
240V outlet for welding?

I'm having an electrician come install a 6-20R outlet in the garage soon for charging the wife's Nissan Leaf and thinking it would be good to have him put in another 240V outlet while he's here so I can hook up a welder eventually.

I'm having a hard time finding what type of wiring and outlets are most commonly used for welding and seems like there's a ton of options. Is there a standard or most common setup you guys use for powering your welder? Or do I have to wait till I buy one to find out what kind of wiring I need?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #4309
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I've wired up a few welder outlets. 50 amp breaker, 6/3 wire, and a 3 prong welder receptacle will get you what you need.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #4310
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbackHack View Post
I'm having an electrician come install a 6-20R outlet in the garage soon for charging the wife's Nissan Leaf and thinking it would be good to have him put in another 240V outlet while he's here so I can hook up a welder eventually.

I'm having a hard time finding what type of wiring and outlets are most commonly used for welding and seems like there's a ton of options. Is there a standard or most common setup you guys use for powering your welder? Or do I have to wait till I buy one to find out what kind of wiring I need?
It really depends on the welder. If you don't have one yet you could have him put in a 220 single phase breaker, usually 30 amps, and the standard outlet, not sure what it's called, looks like this http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tart=0&ndsp=18. I ran 6 awg. If you need to change the breaker or plug later all the hard stuff was already done.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 PM   #4311
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm pretty sure it's a NEMA 6-50 for most welders. On a 40 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire should cover it but your electrician should know what fits your code.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #4312
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
Forgot how much I love my plasma.. Bumped my air pressure up by ~5 PSI - amazing how much dross that it eliminated from my cuts.

Latest project, geometric firepit.

Pretty sweet I'm doing a monster 6' fire pit in my back yard.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM   #4313
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Mine looks like this.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #4314
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a NEMA 6-50 for most welders. On a 40 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire should cover it but your electrician should know what fits your code.
This
Old 10-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #4315
jeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeverich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
jeverich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
This

Since I've got a Square D panel, it's relatively simple to add a breaker. Ran individual 6AWG wire through the conduit to my outlet, made the penetration into the box on the underside, in between the studs.

See if your electrician might be able to sell you some 8/3, or 6/3 QO cord at cost. It's great for an extension cord for your welder/plasma/etc..

I scored the wire for mine at the local scrapyard for $25 IIRC.

It's not a tricky job.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #4316
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
What welder do you use??
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #4317
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looking at this lincoln welder, anyone has had any experience with it? Is it good? My plans for welding are: tube bumper, in bed rack, engine cage and maybe a cab cage if I get good at it.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #4318
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
It looks small what amp is it?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #4319
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
On Another note I just picked up a Dynasty 280DX with coolmate pretty stoked!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #4320

Quote:
It looks small what amp is it?
70 amp

Products Discussed in this Thread