1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anything welding

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by EL TACOROJO, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    weldertaco

weldertaco Mr.13%bodyfat

Member:
    texas
    Vehicle:
    TrailRunner
    4wd to 2wd conversion
    Sub arc game going hard lol then the flux core tie in to finish off the seam where the sub arc machine can't

uploadfromtaptalk1420664814162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420664863535.jpg

2. Jan 9, 2015 at 10:15 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Wasn't much said about this additionally. I'm at the crossroads now where my designs are stifled by other shops wanting money from me. Not an issue there, thats how business works. I welded in the 90's for a year + off and on. Decided I want to finally get my own welder now.

The Lincoln 210 MP is what I was recommended by Lincoln directly when I expressed my interest and materials I planned on using. The guy said to grab one of the 210 MP.

120V: 100A/19.0/40%
    230V: 200A/24V/25%

Thoughts?

Also, I was looking at the Guns on these.

Magnum® PRO 175L Gun, 10 ft. (3.0 m) (K4076-1)

Should I get a different gun right off the bat?

Have 3 Huge argon tanks in the works and getting a CO2 tank too.

-----If anyone has a source or deal for one of these I would be most grateful.

3. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:10 AM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Same as everyone else; just take a look at what your anticipated requirements are going to be, and go from there.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any sort of touch-screen on a welder. It's very easy to reach over and turn a knob; not so much to diddle fuck with a TFT screen with gloves on. I see it as a bling option that Lincoln is putting on their machines in an effort to compete with the manufacturers that are already dominant in the lower end inverter market.

You said that you've got bottles of Argon coming, so I'm going to deduce that you're going to be doing a lot of aluminum welding.

How thick? Do you want a pulse function?

3/16", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" mild steel? What kind of duty cycle?

220/120/Multi Voltage?

4. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:39 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I like the Multi Voltage option.

1/4 in AL was the plan for the majority of the work.

Some steel. No Immediate plans for steel, 3/16 - 3/8 would be what I end up with.

Pulse, well, Doing the AL and it not being TIG, is the pulse feature really a factor? I'd love a machine that gave me the option of AC/DC TIG, MIG, STICK. From what I have been pricing, they are not inexpensive.

Duty cycle. 0 again, would love a 100% Duty Cycle machine. Money is an issue right now. I am trying to fund this purchase with the profit made from selling the boxes I make. In doing that, keep the 'business' funds in the business. Hoping to be able to do more and invest in machines that I won't outgrow anytime soon.

5. Jan 10, 2015 at 12:46 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    As for the screen, well, it isn't touchscreen. it is still all just a bunch of buttons and dials. Screen is just for a more concise readout of them. Frankly with as inexpensive an option it is, surprised more manufactures hadn't switched to it yet/.

As you said, turning dials is how its done. Well, they still have a 'computer' inside that it taking all the settings and ticking them off one by one as we set them. The screen here just puts them all in a better format. Otherwise, you are looking at an analog readout, which is fine, but I bet that this is the first 'test' of the digital screens and they might move more of the lines up to them. No clue, just a thought.

Jake, for you and the rest of the people here using these tools frequently, you know better than I. Not going after BLING, going after functionality. From what I was told by the company, the largest dual voltage was the 210. Originally I was sold on the 180 dual. When I disclosed my intentions towards a specific material, he suggested that I go to the 210.

Does anyone have one? Or any feedback on it specifically? or better options?

6. Jan 10, 2015 at 1:33 AM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    I stopped into an airgas a few weeks ago and talked to the salesman for quite awhile.

My main goal is to practice at home to be able To pass a 4g structural steel test and be able to do certified welds at work. At work we use maxstar 150s machines on either 110 or 220 (depending on what's available). I am also interested in learning to tig weld, and it's always handy to have flux core and mig capabilities; so I've had my eyes open for a multipurpose machine for awhile.

When I first read about the lincoln and the price point it jumped to the top of my list. The salesman, however, wasn't super confident in the machine. In his opinion, it was designed to be a budget machine and compete with imported multiprocess machines, and the result is a bit gimmicky, flimsy, and lacking features to make it meet the price.

His recommendation was to either save a bit more and go with the miller multimatic, or get a tig/stick maxstar 150; and in the future, purchase a standalone mig. He recommended that I stay with either lincoln or miller instead of tweco/thermal arc/ESAB because they are less popular on the west coast, meaning I would have more of a hassle trying to source parts or get a repair, and to avoid brands like Eastwood/everlast/longevity for that reason and less reliability.

That being said, I still haven't made a decision. Despite the "negatives" pointed out by the salesman, I think the Lincoln 210 would more than meet my needs, and is probably a very good machine for the price, and would probably work pretty well for skygear too. For me, it's between the lincoln 210 and a maxstar 150 stl or sth, because I'm familiar with it and the portability is AMAZING (smaller than a lunchbox).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  7. Jan 10, 2015 at 1:54 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    Never passed any certs, But I did TIG in the 90's. MUCH has changed.

I agree that it is Gimicy with the screen. Still like that it is a Lincoln and has a little more punch than the 180.

Really, I'm most likely not going to use this for anything other Aluminum MIG for quite awhile. If I buy it right, when the time comes, I will be able to sell it if I need to, and come out on top besides consumables.

Theres friend trying to sell me his Lincoln MIG 185 right now. Would get it if it as a dual voltage. He is in a bad way for cash, so I know I could beat him up on price without an issue and come out on top with ALL his welding gear. He even offered to setup up my electrical box for 220 with an outlet as part of the 'deal'/ The issue is not my house. I know how to do that and without hazard or issue. The issue is when I am at someone else place.

Just spec'd out those Maxstars. Beautiful! Just can't do AL. Looked at the dynasty TIG in the 200 size. over $3k. WOW. \\

I do not have anywhere near that for this endeavor right now.

My goal is to be able to do 1/4" AL with either MIG or TIG at a max of $1500. Thats tanks, consumables, guns, welder. Would love a Dual Voltage MultiProcess that did AC TIG too. Haven't found any of those yet.

8. Jan 10, 2015 at 1:57 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I like that! "No need to diddle fuck with a bunch of buttons".

I've used machines with digital readouts and pretty much hate them. I could not even tell you the settings I use for different thickness material. I just know where the indicator on the dial is supposed to reside.

I will admit, being male and all, that gadgets do catch my eye, but with welders, simple is always much better.

Like said earlier, think about what you plan on doing in the future, then decide what $ you can spend.

I've said it before, quality MIG units are lifetime investments. You will not be buying a new one because you wore it out.

I actually took a loan out for my first MIG unit. I was able to pick up extra work and pay the thing off in a very quickly. I would do it again.

A bigger question you should ask yourself is if portability is more important? I like my dedicated units, they are not something that will get stole. Crooks like to lift stuff that they can carry and sell quickly. No one is is walking off with my MM250 with out blowing a grape.

9. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:05 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Having or not having 230v is not really a big issue to me. If a person does not have 230v, then they can bring the work to me.

I would think seriously about grabbing that setup, you could always sell it and get your dual voltage machine that you want. If someone is hurting for cash, you are in the driver seat.

10. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:17 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    You have a snapon welder?

I do not have a garage. I have a small backyard and a couple parking spaces. I hope that changes in the near future, however I am realistic in the requirements for that to happen for us. Greater income is the key.

Loans- Considered one, income again being an issue. Don't qualify for any, not at a reasonable rate that is. Problem with us is we are 100% debt free. But we also do not have excess funds right now. Paycheck to paycheck is an understatement. We are ever so slightly able to make all bills meet and take care of small creature comforts as they arise. Banking institutions hate people like us. Cash and carry. They want a sure bet that they are going to get there money and see a history of it. We lack that. Constant battle back and forth over this-

Plan was to get the welder for additional work/ products. Already have people asking me to help them with small projects.

11. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I have Miller equipment. I haven't looked at any snap on equipment in quite a few years. I years past, I thought the quality was not up to their prices. Doing math, I could get a decent MM for the same price as snap on. It was just a matter of having access to a Miller dealer if I needed service, which Inever have beyond consumables.

I understand about the $. Cash is always a big part of a deal.

The 185 units are great units. I know several pro's that have them at home and they love them. If I did not have a shop and was forced to work in the driveway, I would be thinking seriously about them.

Good luck on whichever route you take.

12. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:24 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    portability is the main factor due to the cramped lifestyle we have. I would have control over it being portable and be able to transport it to wherever I was able to gain access to a place to do some work. Then, when I got home, put it in a corner in the house.

For his setup, I still need to buy the Aluminum Gun. That would put me out another $260 from whatever we put together as a price. for the AL feature and having 120, I keep looking at the 180 or 210 and thats where I'm stuck

I know it sounds like I am selling myself on the 210 r trying to justify it. Keep the screen. The interesting features I mentioned already.

Is this a quality MIG machine? What makes it NOT one. Duty cycle has me concerned. SO far, Thats the only real concern I have.

This is a field I am relearning and trying to build myself back up to speed with online material. Welding books, and video. I'm trying, just need the real information.

13. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:27 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    What is the duty cycle? I never get hung up on duty cycle. In 25 years of welding, I think I have tripped the breaker 3 times. There is just not that long of welds when mig welding in most cases.

14. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:34 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I guess if you really need TIG capabilities, that would be the way to go.

I gave up on TIG a long time ago. My MIG welds look just fine and even better after a coat of paint. To make beatiful TIG welds requires lots and lots of practice and not out in the driveway. I just don't have the time to invest to maintain my TIG skills. It was a better use to specialize with MIG welding.

15. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:46 AM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
  16. Jan 10, 2015 at 2:59 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Read the Pirate thread, sounds like the jury is still out and they are looking for guinie pigs.

That duty cycle doesn't bother me a bit. Those welding times are with the welder set at max capacity. I doubt that you would have many welding project that required full output. Duty times are going to be much longer.

17. Jan 10, 2015 at 3:04 AM
    rbraddock

rbraddock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB
    6" ProComp lift from the dealer, slow build in progress
    Not trying to discourage you but Aluminum is not the easiest to weld especially if you have infrequently held a torch. Like others here have said a weld machine is a long term investment, so put aside the $$$ and get a good machine that has the features you need now and the features you don't know you need yet.

18. Jan 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Roger roger...

Sometimes the LCD displays on my machine will hang up; they'll get stuck between a number and fluctuate. Drives me crazy. Don't know if it's in the potentiometer, or just a sensitive range...

You sound like you're informed - I think that you've got enough information to make an intelligent decision.

I'll continue to steer people towards the Thermal Arc Fabricator series. I really like mine.

I'm like KO with regards to dual voltage. I was all hyped on it when I bought my machine, now it's more of an afterthought. If I've got a job, they'll be bringing it to me. No way I'm going to bother with moving my entire setup.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a multi-process AC/DC TIG/MIG/SMAW for under $1500 - with all consumables, etc.

I don't know what the Craigslist market is like out East, but there's quite a few decent machines in my region.

This is a damn good deal:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/4826632194.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/4826774028.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/tls/4826730799.html

19. Jan 10, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4
    Well I think I am finally going to look into getting a welding setup for myself. I have ZERO experience welding. My only experience is watching others weld but that hardly counts as it was more just fitting up a pipe hanger and then having them weld it. I never worried about settings or anything like that.

I don't plan to make a career or anything like that, it would truly just be a hobby for me and even at that not something I would use a whole bunch. but figure it could come in handy from time to time.

With that said the whole reason I am wanting to get a trailer is to build a "offroad trailer". Nothing fancy and mostly square tubing frame with probably some sort of sheet flooring and siding with a RTT of some sort on top.

MIG welding definitely seems like the easiest so that is where I would focus and probably be the only one I really learn....if I needed something else i'd take it to someone.

So with that said...what sort of machines would you recommend I look into? I was actually looking into this package since it looks like it comes with everything (kind funny jev posted it)
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/4826632194.html

Seems like the welder and saw alone are 1500 new. Not sure how much the other stuff is really worth though.

Anyways thanks for any suggestions. And don't worry Id be practicing lots on scrap metals before actually building a trailer!

I did look into classes around me but almost all seemed more geared to people looking into welding for careers. I know a couple guys who weld and could show me the basics instead of taking a class that would be way more than I need

20. Jan 10, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I admit that I'm pro Miller, but the Hobart handler is a great starter rig and will serve you for 90% of any welding you may need to in the future. The Handler unit if you want portability or the Ironman if you want more stationary. I recently was in my Quality farm and fleet and saw an Ironman unit on sale and I was amazed at the price, I don't remember the exact price, but it was cheaper than my MillerMatic that I bought 20 years ago. It was a no brainer.

As for learning to mig weld, just do it. I'm self taught and encourage the sef tought route. People to day have many more advantages that we didn't 20 yrs ago. Utube vids are a huge game changer. You can watch 1000's of vids to get an idea on how you should be.

My side job IS building trailers, if you got any questions, let me know. For a decent off road trailer, there is only about a dozen and a half welds that MUST be structurally sound, the rest of the welds can be of less quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top