Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #1522
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
Would this be a good welder to own?

http://tucson.craigslist.org/tls/3719138422.html
What kinds of things to you want to weld?

A stick welder will do a good job but it's a bit more difficult to learn how to weld with than a MIG machine especially if you're going to teach yourself.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1523
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
What kinds of things to you want to weld?

A stick welder will do a good job but it's a bit more difficult to learn how to weld with than a MIG machine especially if you're going to teach yourself.

Don't have specific plans for it, basically use it for small jobs in my home garage. All I know is that I am tired of my wire welder and want to upgrade.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #1524
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
idk if I'd call stick a step up. It is different.

What things don't you like about your MIG machine?
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #1526
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well years ago I was learning to weld with a stick welder, and I am finding it hard to weld with this wire welder.

Never heard that before, most find it easier to weld with a mig since it is easier. If you prefer stick then go with it, but for smaller garage projects a mig is usually the better way to do being its easier to weld thinner material and still be able to change some adjustments and weld 1/2-3/4".
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #1527

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well years ago I was learning to weld with a stick welder, and I am finding it hard to weld with this wire welder.
What seems to be the trouble? You can always check out www.weldingtipsandtricks.com for some help with technique/settings and what not too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledvl View Post
Never heard that before, most find it easier to weld with a mig since it is easier. If you prefer stick then go with it, but for smaller garage projects a mig is usually the better way to do being its easier to weld thinner material and still be able to change some adjustments and weld 1/2-3/4".
This is generally the case.

Still, if you find it easier to stick weld, $375 isn't such a bad deal either.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #1528
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
How do these look? Input would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
anything welding-uploadfromtaptalk1366504021029.jpg   anything welding-uploadfromtaptalk1366504060057.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #1529
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
How do these look? Input would be appreciated!
It appears you cut them off straight with no bevels and welded them up. To get better penetration, you need to grind a bevel on the two pieces where they join, and weld it out to the edge of the steel. You only made one pass on these, didn't you? I think this thickness of joint will need multiple passes to make a strong connection. This looks like 1/4" material you are working with. Is this correct?
Old 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #1530

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Needs better penetration. Either more heat or slow down. Not sure you'd need a second pass if you had better penetration.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #1531
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Note taken on the beveling, any where that I join two pieces of plate together I usually bevel, I can try doing that to the butt type joints too.

And I wish I could just use more heat, but that's all my little welder has, its a fabricater 181i. I think its biggest downfall is that I have to run it off a 75' extension cord. At least until I get a real garage...

So I guess I will just have to slow down a wee bit.

Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #1532
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
This is pretty cool, didn't know this thread existed (or I forgot) lol

I'm currently a welder for a company called Martin Sprocket & Gear.

Hopefully picking up an engine driven welder for the house tomorrow!
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #1533
Benjamin Newman

What kind of welder are you picking up?
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #1534
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's an older welder, its a Triple-A Specialty Co. mig flux welder.
So Ian and Eric....above is the welder that was given to me. As stated before, I don't really know jack about welding and dude who gave me the welder said he doesn't have time to help me out.

So forgive me for asking what may be a dumb question but, do I need a gas cylinder with this welder?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #1535

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So Ian and Eric....above is the welder that was given to me. As stated before, I don't really know jack about welding and dude who gave me the welder said he doesn't have time to help me out.

So forgive me for asking what may be a dumb question but, do I need a gas cylinder with this welder?
If it's really just flux core, then no. You don't need gas. You do need flux core wire tho.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #1536
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
What kind of welder are you picking up?
Not sure if this was directed towards me or not but it's a 2007 Miller Trailblazer 275 with the 23hp Kohler motor on it. Pics to come.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #1537
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
6010 on a Miller PIPEWORX
Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #1538
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
6010 on a Miller PIPEWORX
Old 04-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #1539
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
VERY nice work Dave.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #1540
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
It appears you cut them off straight with no bevels and welded them up. To get better penetration, you need to grind a bevel on the two pieces where they join, and weld it out to the edge of the steel. You only made one pass on these, didn't you? I think this thickness of joint will need multiple passes to make a strong connection. This looks like 1/4" material you are working with. Is this correct?
That really depends on the mashine you dont have to run multple passes if the mashine can handle it. My miller 252's can run full pen in 1/2" in a single pass no problem. I do agree with the bevel.

Products Discussed in this Thread