anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #1721
CliffordBRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Cliff
CliffordBRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
This ^ or you can run 100% C02 for your gas that will get you deeper penetration.
So you think if I grabbed a Hobart 140 or equivalent w flux wiring id be good to go on some tube type projects, given the practice and such?
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #1722
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordBRD View Post
So you think if I grabbed a Hobart 140 or equivalent w flux wiring id be good to go on some tube type projects, given the practice and such?
Oh yeah i had a hobart 140 crank it up and run 100% C02 for gas or flux and your golden for anything up you 1/8th on a single pass. You can do 3/16th but i would run 2 or more passes. That said i welded my sliders and a few other guys on with my old 140 and all have held up over the years. The welds look like shit but they held.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #1723
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
looks decent.

Make sure you clean off any surface rust before welding unless you're running flux core. Even then clean is ideal.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #1724
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, some of y'all have a true gift. My hands are not that steady yet.

Proof I need (much) more practice. The slag 'n' drag gasless spattermatic can make things stick but it's a big handicap in many ways, especially when it's 115v only, so I dream of the day I find a decent used MIG. I officially dislike self shielding wire. Finicky stuff.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #1725
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
It's not the flux core wire. You just need moar practice
Old 06-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #1726
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
x2, flux core can make some beautiful welds in the right hands.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #1727
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
much more lol. Having more than the four amp settings of useless, way too little, definitely not enough, and OMG BURN THROUGH might also help.

At least I'm not making globs of gray snot anymore. That is improvement and motivation to keep working at it!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #1728
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Keep practicing man. My flux core welds looked the same when I first started out. But now I can make nice welds with it.. And i just started welding about 4 months ago.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #1729
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
It takes time to make the good looking welds. But I'd rather it look like poop but penetrate than look like stacked dimes and just be pretty.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #1730
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
much more lol. Having more than the four amp settings of useless, way too little, definitely not enough, and OMG BURN THROUGH might also help.

At least I'm not making globs of gray snot anymore. That is improvement and motivation to keep working at it!
Remember you can also manipulate the heat by wire speed, your traveling speed, different angles and distance the tip is from the work piece. Play around with all kinds of settings and techniques and you will start to feel and hear when things are right
Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #1731
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr250jumper View Post
Remember you can also manipulate the heat by wire speed, your traveling speed, different angles and distance the tip is from the work piece. Play around with all kinds of settings and techniques and you will start to feel and hear when things are right
This! There are many factors that play a part in getting a high quality weld with wire feed. I ran virtually no wire feed 'til I was 19, and it piised me off SO much. I was used to running tig & stick. Just takes lots of practice and willingness to try new techniques. I'm still not a huge fan of wire feed, but it's so easy now, and much more efficient than stick
Old 06-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #1732
M C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matthew
M C M's Tacoma Gallery
Another day at the office
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #1733
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by M C M View Post
Are You A Robot?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #1734
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Very nice!! the heat and travel speed is spot on! I'm personally a fan of a tighter bead pattern but that looks damn good!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #1735
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Thanks, yeah we cleaned the rust off for the rack, but the practice welds I got lazy lol. The welds were done using 75/25 mix of argon and CO2.
Cool, you can make some pretty welds with argon mix. Im betting the LCA above was welded with 75/25.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #1736
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice TIG welding. What is that you are building? Can't quite make out what it is going to be. How about a shot of it from the other side, and an overall pic of it too? Or maybe a completed pic if you have gotten that far yet.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #1737
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
Nice TIG welding. What is that you are building? Can't quite make out what it is going to be. How about a shot of it from the other side, and an overall pic of it too? Or maybe a completed pic if you have gotten that far yet.
Pretty certain it's MIG on a LT LCA
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #1738
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Pretty certain it's MIG on a LT LCA
Agreed. Definitely mig
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #1739
M C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matthew
M C M's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
Its MIG welding. And they are correct, its a lower arm for the 1st gen Tacoma kits I offer
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #1740
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
[IMG] [/IMG]
A couple of welds from the other day. I was running on 2 hours of sleep in 50 something hours. 316L stainless

Products Discussed in this Thread