Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #1841
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckyTruck View Post
Affordable! Ha. Its really good. I take night classes. The last class was a fabrication set-up class and I discovered I'm pretty good with a cutting torch. Its really fun and honestly I can't wait to start making things for my truck!

You know there are these schools like lincoln that charge you 30k to go into the welding program. The place I go charges about 225 for each class. Its awesome.

I'd like to be like some of these guys and just learn from someone, but I literally did not know anyone who could weld before I started classes.
nice.

the one i’m looking at is going to require me to move, about 1.5h a way. I’m going going to drive like 70 miles to class and back 5 days a week.

I think i posted a link to the one i’m looking at a few posts up or a page back. teaches all kinds of stuff about welding. al different types of welding as well.

I know a few people that can weld. but they ether sold there welders, or live to far a way.

edit: the class i’m looking i could probably get a job welding some where.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #1842
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
the thermal arcs are pretty solid! the company I work for bought a few for the shop to "try out"

I talked with my old boss in the shop and he loves them! says they feed wire well, and tig much better than he expected.

I did notice a couple weeks ago that I didn't see any in use. mostly cause there are plenty of miller xmt's to go around though I think. and in that shop, the xmt is THE multi-process machine to run unless they are all in use
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #1843
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
nice.

the one i知 looking at is going to require me to move, about 1.5h a way. I知 going going to drive like 70 miles to class and back 5 days a week.

I think i posted a link to the one i知 looking at a few posts up or a page back. teaches all kinds of stuff about welding. al different types of welding as well.

I know a few people that can weld. but they ether sold there welders, or live to far a way.

edit: the class i知 looking i could probably get a job welding some where.
in my experience, if your looking to make money as a welder, ie, get a job in the field, learn stick welding. learn it well, as in 6g certified well, with an "R" stamp if the school will offer it.

learning to fabricate in-shop is awesome, but, again, in my experience, it is hard to make money in a shop environment, no matter what you know. the big money is in pipe. stainless process piping is flooded with young people from what I see, and most process guys are perfectly capable in sch. stainless too, so no money.

regular old carbon piping welded with regular old stick is what makes the money, especially in boiler systems and oil. and the best way to do it is to get your own truck, your own machine and tools, and "subcontract" for larger contractors. out here, a subcontractor that can consistently do x-ray passing welds makes 60-100 per hour. they have a setup for stick, and most do stainless also with a tig setup. that's all

I work for a company, and do ok, but next to guys that make much more money just because they have a machine on their own truck. keep in mind though that this route means you find your own work, are liable for anything that is not perfect, and also must carry huge insurance to even drive your rig on some jobs (like, in case you drove into a pipe at a refinery and cost millions in damage and production losses)
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #1844
TruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedTruckyTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TruckyTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
the thermal arcs are pretty solid! the company I work for bought a few for the shop to "try out"

I talked with my old boss in the shop and he loves them! says they feed wire well, and tig much better than he expected.

I did notice a couple weeks ago that I didn't see any in use. mostly cause there are plenty of miller xmt's to go around though I think. and in that shop, the xmt is THE multi-process machine to run unless they are all in use
awesome! i havent heard anything bad about them so far and they are affordable, so ill be ordering one
Old 08-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #1845
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I havn't been able to read this whole thread because I don't have time, so sorry if this question has already been answered. I know how to weld, and went through two years of vo-tech in high school in metal trades. I also took classes at my community college. I'm looking for a small wire welder that can handle 3/8" to 5/16" thickness. This will take care of any small welding I have around the house or most farm equipment, also should be able to put some rock sliders on my Tacoma, although I don't know what the average thickness is with most sliders. What are some good value small welders? preferably 115v so I can hook them up in the carport. I know the duty cycle will likely only be 20-30% but that should allow me to get my projects done easily. I already own a Lincoln 225 stick welder but this would be easier on my dad to use if i'm not around. About what price range will I be looking at? And what are the better name brands? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 08-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #1846
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
in my experience, if your looking to make money as a welder, ie, get a job in the field, learn stick welding. learn it well, as in 6g certified well, with an "R" stamp if the school will offer it.

learning to fabricate in-shop is awesome, but, again, in my experience, it is hard to make money in a shop environment, no matter what you know. the big money is in pipe. stainless process piping is flooded with young people from what I see, and most process guys are perfectly capable in sch. stainless too, so no money.

regular old carbon piping welded with regular old stick is what makes the money, especially in boiler systems and oil. and the best way to do it is to get your own truck, your own machine and tools, and "subcontract" for larger contractors. out here, a subcontractor that can consistently do x-ray passing welds makes 60-100 per hour. they have a setup for stick, and most do stainless also with a tig setup. that's all

I work for a company, and do ok, but next to guys that make much more money just because they have a machine on their own truck. keep in mind though that this route means you find your own work, are liable for anything that is not perfect, and also must carry huge insurance to even drive your rig on some jobs (like, in case you drove into a pipe at a refinery and cost millions in damage and production losses)
Just now seeing this. But thank for the info man! I'll look into this!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1847
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
random shots from jobs i did at work aluminum stainless steel and titanium

Old 08-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #1848
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
random shots from lobs i did at work aluminum stainless steel and titanium
j00 pics j00 posted
meh, salright
Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #1850
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Going tubular for V2R
Permanent? Selling your other?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #1851
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
Hey guys I havn't been able to read this whole thread because I don't have time, so sorry if this question has already been answered. I know how to weld, and went through two years of vo-tech in high school in metal trades. I also took classes at my community college. I'm looking for a small wire welder that can handle 3/8" to 5/16" thickness. This will take care of any small welding I have around the house or most farm equipment, also should be able to put some rock sliders on my Tacoma, although I don't know what the average thickness is with most sliders. What are some good value small welders? preferably 115v so I can hook them up in the carport. I know the duty cycle will likely only be 20-30% but that should allow me to get my projects done easily. I already own a Lincoln 225 stick welder but this would be easier on my dad to use if i'm not around. About what price range will I be looking at? And what are the better name brands? Thanks in advance for any help
any little wire feeder would do fine. I have a little Lincoln I got for 80$ from the local pawn shop that does great. no gas port so I just run flux-core. .035 flux core in that machine does 5/16" fine triple passed. the problem with that wire though is that it makes light stuff (less than 1/16") hard to do. if you are not familiar with flux cored wire it takes a bit of practice, wire speed is crucial for proper flux coverage.

I liken it to running 6010 rod. 211 wire runs well up hill as well as it does down, and is very aggressive with a slow deposit rate. just remember to set your machine with electrode negative!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1852
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
random shots from lobs i did at work aluminum stainless steel and titanium

plant steam/condensate?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #1853
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Permanent? Selling your other?
It sold 4 weeks ago to a local 2wd.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #1854
M C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matthew
M C M's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveland48 View Post
No 110 is going to.up to the task of anything over 3/16
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #1855
cleveland48 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
cleveland48's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
any little wire feeder would do fine. I have a little Lincoln I got for 80$ from the local pawn shop that does great. no gas port so I just run flux-core. .035 flux core in that machine does 5/16" fine triple passed. the problem with that wire though is that it makes light stuff (less than 1/16") hard to do. if you are not familiar with flux cored wire it takes a bit of practice, wire speed is crucial for proper flux coverage.

I liken it to running 6010 rod. 211 wire runs well up hill as well as it does down, and is very aggressive with a slow deposit rate. just remember to set your machine with electrode negative!
Thanks for your help and I have ran flux core before and really enjoyed it
Old 08-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #1856
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
plant steam/condensate?
Nah. I do ship board installs for the gooberment . The stainless was for a small boat fueling station . The aluminium I ran was for setting up to weld deck cribbing for a false deck and the titanium piece was replaced with ss tube for a water pump. The ti is sitting on my bench at home
Old 08-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1857
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, how do you change the mode of transfer ( mig welding) on a lincoln dh10 / invertek 350 pro.mig welder?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #1859
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Jody from Welding Tips & Tricks posted this video today. It talks about the cheap Flux Core MIG machines.

If you're considering buying one, there are some compelling arguments for getting something other than a 115V machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KzSNpsLT40Q
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #1860
M C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shedM C M is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matthew
M C M's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Jody from Welding Tips & Tricks posted this video today. It talks about the cheap Flux Core MIG machines.

If you're considering buying one, there are some compelling arguments for getting something other than a 115V machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KzSNpsLT40Q
Ya, they suck and can barely weld anything. At the very least get something that runs off 110/220 so that the 110 is for a worst case scenario

Products Discussed in this Thread