Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

anything welding

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #1941
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Once you have years of practice,,your welds will look like this. It really doesn't get any better than John's work.
http://marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html

This is all tig, done by one man for the most part, who has been in the biz for many many years. He is about the best tig welder I have ever seen.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #1942
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
Once you have years of practice,,your welds will look like this. It really doesn't get any better than John's work.
http://marcellamanifolds.net/images/Images.html

This is all tig, done by one man for the most part, who has been in the biz for many many years. He is about the best tig welder I have ever seen.

that some great looking aluminum work. that's one thing I never got really good at was tigging aluminum. I can do it, and it looks ok, but nothing like that. and not like I can do with any other process on any other common material. I can wire-feed aluminum fine. we used to have some bad-ass push-pull guns when we were doing a lot of aluminum. run one of those and never want to pick up another spool-gun
Old 08-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #1943
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
And my project begins anything welding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377906795.502176.jpg
Old 08-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #1944
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Question;

When welding up spindle gussets to the stock spindles is there anything that should be done? I seem to remember seeing some info about heating them up in the over prior, due to being hardened. Advice?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #1945
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY50cal View Post
Question;

When welding up spindle gussets to the stock spindles is there anything that should be done? I seem to remember seeing some info about heating them up in the over prior, due to being hardened. Advice?
If you are doing them on the truck and it's 4x4 be sure to cover the cv boots with a weld blanket. Preheating is never a bad idea but not a really big deal if you don't, just don't cook em.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #1946
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalduckslayer View Post
If you are doing them on the truck and it's 4x4 be sure to cover the cv boots with a weld blanket. Preheating is never a bad idea but not a really big deal if you don't, just don't cook em.
Thanks, it will be done off the truck. Picked up a spare set from a prerunner guy a couple months ago.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #1947
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

anything welding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377910412.855542.jpgtape is letting it sag lol but you get the overall design
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1948
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayStrait View Post
I saw this and thought, hey! I literally just had my first attempt at tig welding tubes and it did not look like that. Oh well, I need some more practice for sure too, but I thought this was a good start for having never tried doing tubes!
Coming along nicely. Every time I finish a TIG weld, I bump the stop with a file just to make certain no crack can emerge from it. Not a very common problem on stainless, but worth the extra second or two. I've worked for companies that fire on the first failed xray or hydro. Lookin' damn good though
Old 08-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #1949
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Probably more for the fab thread tho that doesn't get much play these days. There is welding involved...

http://vimeo.com/16435404
Old 08-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #1950
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
it would not be a false statement

little hot at the end, but i'll take it for a first go.
I wouldn't mind you as a teacher
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #1951
DerpWerx Fab

anything welding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377923626.974859.jpg

Found out how I want to make it now. Gonna fill the gaps under the lights better but the mock up is just for the design. Hopefully will have one made by next weekend
Old 08-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #1952
nagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shednagorb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nagorb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Probably more for the fab thread tho that doesn't get much play these days. There is welding involved...

http://vimeo.com/16435404
there's a fab thread? didn't know that, probably where i belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Attachment 231280

Found out how I want to make it now. Gonna fill the gaps under the lights better but the mock up is just for the design. Hopefully will have one made by next weekend
looks like it'll turn out nice. I'm gonna go super simple on mine and make it outta3x5 or something likethat.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #1953
DerpWerx Fab

x2, where's the fab thread?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #1954
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Of course, after I call it slow, it perks up again The fab thread.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #1955
DerpWerx Fab

Labor Day project = finished anything welding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378122235.248746.jpganything welding-imageuploadedbytapatalk1378122246.476070.jpg

Well not 100% finished but good enough for now! Started on this 3pm Sunday took an hour break for dinner and just finished at 6am Monday. Time for some sleep! Lol
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #1956
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad. You gonna add some recovery points or just use the hitch?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #1957
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Not bad. You gonna add some recovery points or just use the hitch?
Adding shackles but just called it good for now lol. Was/am exhausted
Old 09-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1958
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
so i have a question for all you welding gurus. A few years back I took a few courses on tig welding through the community college and got fairly proficient at it. Now that I am on my own I want to get back into welding. It seems that most people prefer to mig weld vs tig weld around these places. A few projects I want to work on are some slots in my toolbox (aluminum) for an air compressor, bumper (who doesnt want to do this), and a bed rack to hold a high lift/spare tire or whatever else i decide to do. Also have some things I want to build that are non truck related but everything will be a max of 1/2" steel and a min of whatever guage i use for toolbox slots.

So i guess my question is how hard is mig welding vs tig welding, would i be able to learn without any more classes, and would a 110 mig be able to handle these projects. i know with the low voltage i will have to work with the corners of the thicker stuff to get good penetration but I have quite a few moves coming up in my future and im not sure if i will have access to a 220 plug.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #1959
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by takern View Post
so i have a question for all you welding gurus. A few years back I took a few courses on tig welding through the community college and got fairly proficient at it. Now that I am on my own I want to get back into welding. It seems that most people prefer to mig weld vs tig weld around these places. A few projects I want to work on are some slots in my toolbox (aluminum) for an air compressor, bumper (who doesnt want to do this), and a bed rack to hold a high lift/spare tire or whatever else i decide to do. Also have some things I want to build that are non truck related but everything will be a max of 1/2" steel and a min of whatever guage i use for toolbox slots.

So i guess my question is how hard is mig welding vs tig welding, would i be able to learn without any more classes, and would a 110 mig be able to handle these projects. i know with the low voltage i will have to work with the corners of the thicker stuff to get good penetration but I have quite a few moves coming up in my future and im not sure if i will have access to a 220 plug.
You're gonna want a 220 machine regardless if you want to do aluminum. A 110 machine will struggle at 1/4" steel so keep that in mind.

As far as difficulty, mig is about a million times easier than tig. For mig aluminum look into getting a spool gun.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1960
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get stuck with a 110v machine, they're underpowered. You can however pick up some newer welders that are dual voltage with an adapter plug and will run off of 110/220, obviously when connected to 220 it packs a bit more punch for the thicker stuff.
You can also find some multiprocess welders that to MIG/TIG/Arc welding all in one (like my ThermalArc 211i). One catch is they're usually DC only machines and not suitable for TIG on aluminum. You'll need AC tig for aluminum, there are a few lower end AC/DC TIG welders out there that are pretty solid for just doing some around the shop welding on ocassion.
If you get a MIG, then you'll need to pick up a spool gun for aluminum(you can also add this into the ThermalArc multiprocess machines) which is an added cost, so keep that in mind. Spool guns vary between 250-700 for the majority, and bump over a grand for a few of the nicer ones for the bigger welders.
MIG is very easy to learn(Alum mig is a little harder) so if you can TIG, just watch a few MIG videos and understand how to set up your welder and you should be good to go. Obviously with TIG, its a bit slow for long welds on a plate bumper or such, thats where MIG usually comes into play as it lays a lot of weld quick, but is far less accurate than TIG as the trade off.

Products Discussed in this Thread