1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB radio range

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by achirdo, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sep 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    achirdo

achirdo [OP] I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    i bought a cb radio so i could use the PA system with it. then i heard that if i installed an antenna i could hear truckers talking on the CB and what not. i thought that would be kinda cool and something to keep me occupied on long drives so i got everything that i would need.

now im reading about how mostly people just use CBs to communicate when offroading.

so now my question is that is the cb install really worth it if i am installing it to hear other people or is the range so limited that i have to be on a highway to hear them, because 80% of my driving is in the city

2. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    achirdo

achirdo [OP] I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    bump for thoughts

3. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    idk the answers to that but i am wondering the same thing

what kinda CB did you get? how did you mount it? and what kinda antennae?

4. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Cb's only get about 3-5 miles of range when tuned to peak.

5. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Depends on the kind of antenna you have what your range will be.

6. Sep 25, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    With 80% in town driving you won't hear much and you won't get to talk much...having said that....should a disaster strike it's really nice to have cuz everyone is talking on them then.....just make sure you get it tuned when you buy it and I recommend you get it from someone on the net unless you know someone. Getting it tuned will help your reception and xmsn alot....

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    MHS2846bg8

MHS2846bg8 Experienced Noob

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    South Coast of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dbl Cab 4x4
    4WP Factory Front Bumper w/Warn VR EVO 10-S Winch, AuxBeam 8-Switch Controller, Redarc Trailer Brake Controller, ARE CX-Evolve Cap, Bedrug Liner, Ditch Pod Lights, Aftermarket LED (OEM) Bed Lights, Console Vault
    CB's are generally useless in the city...although my city's police use/monitor channel 9. Around my hometown they're generally used the the log trucks. Range can be affected by anything (buildings, hills, weather) and like Pho said, you'll generally get about 5 miles MAX from a CB, but that's with flat ground and little interference.

8. Sep 25, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    If you use your CB for long drives, its a great device, Especially listening to truckers, they usually relay traffic reports, speed trap sightings, and more. Also if the majority of the people you wheel with have cb's that is even better you can communicate with each other.

If you are deciding to do it or not, I would say go for it, Its worth it.

9. Sep 25, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    wvmountaintop

wvmountaintop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Hampshire County, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4 Door LB Sport
    Weather Tech Floor Mats, Anytime Fog Light Mod, Belt Chime Mod, Extra D-Rings under Bed Bolt, ARE MX Topper, Bed Rug
    Your range will depend on a good quality antenna with a good match (SWR), how high up you are and how much traffic is on the frequency you’re operating on. Most CB's are only running around 5 watts output on an AM frequency so operating in the city with tall buildings and other obstructions will limit your range. Generally the higher your elevation the longer the range you will have. I’m aware that many people using CB’s run illegal linear amplifiers which increase output power considerably but I am not advising you run any illegal equipment only stating that many others do this. A CB can be very handy for learning about traffic while on the highway, communicating while off-roading and for emergencies.

Another option is Amateur Radio also known as Ham Radio. This requires some study and testing to get a Ham Radio license. The entry level license is relatively easy to obtain and is called a Technician Class and allows you to operate on many frequencies not available to CB’s. You would also have the use of much more power and repeater stations that simultaneously receive and rebroadcast your signal. With a simple and inexpensive 2 meter rig running anywhere from 5 to 200 watts output and using repeaters you can have a range of up to 100 to 150 miles from your truck. In Ham Radio you are issued by the FCC a call sign (they use to issue these for CB’s but dropped that requirement many years ago) and you must use this when transmitting. Ham Radio is much more polite and organized then CB and can be very useful in emergencies….

Products Discussed in

To Top