Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

CB radio range

Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
CB radio range

i bought a cb radio so i could use the PA system with it. then i heard that if i installed an antenna i could hear truckers talking on the CB and what not. i thought that would be kinda cool and something to keep me occupied on long drives so i got everything that i would need.

now im reading about how mostly people just use CBs to communicate when offroading.

so now my question is that is the cb install really worth it if i am installing it to hear other people or is the range so limited that i have to be on a highway to hear them, because 80% of my driving is in the city
Old 09-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
idk the answers to that but i am wondering the same thing

what kinda CB did you get? how did you mount it? and what kinda antennae?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Cb's only get about 3-5 miles of range when tuned to peak.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the kind of antenna you have what your range will be.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
With 80% in town driving you won't hear much and you won't get to talk much...having said that....should a disaster strike it's really nice to have cuz everyone is talking on them then.....just make sure you get it tuned when you buy it and I recommend you get it from someone on the net unless you know someone. Getting it tuned will help your reception and xmsn alot....
Old 09-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #7
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
CB's are generally useless in the city...although my city's police use/monitor channel 9. Around my hometown they're generally used the the log trucks. Range can be affected by anything (buildings, hills, weather) and like Pho said, you'll generally get about 5 miles MAX from a CB, but that's with flat ground and little interference.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
If you use your CB for long drives, its a great device, Especially listening to truckers, they usually relay traffic reports, speed trap sightings, and more. Also if the majority of the people you wheel with have cb's that is even better you can communicate with each other.

If you are deciding to do it or not, I would say go for it, Its worth it.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
wvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud ofwvmountaintop has much to be proud of

Name: Dennis
wvmountaintop's Tacoma Gallery
Your range will depend on a good quality antenna with a good match (SWR), how high up you are and how much traffic is on the frequency you’re operating on. Most CB's are only running around 5 watts output on an AM frequency so operating in the city with tall buildings and other obstructions will limit your range. Generally the higher your elevation the longer the range you will have. I’m aware that many people using CB’s run illegal linear amplifiers which increase output power considerably but I am not advising you run any illegal equipment only stating that many others do this. A CB can be very handy for learning about traffic while on the highway, communicating while off-roading and for emergencies.

Another option is Amateur Radio also known as Ham Radio. This requires some study and testing to get a Ham Radio license. The entry level license is relatively easy to obtain and is called a Technician Class and allows you to operate on many frequencies not available to CB’s. You would also have the use of much more power and repeater stations that simultaneously receive and rebroadcast your signal. With a simple and inexpensive 2 meter rig running anywhere from 5 to 200 watts output and using repeaters you can have a range of up to 100 to 150 miles from your truck. In Ham Radio you are issued by the FCC a call sign (they use to issue these for CB’s but dropped that requirement many years ago) and you must use this when transmitting. Ham Radio is much more polite and organized then CB and can be very useful in emergencies….