Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

My new garage floor coating

Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #61
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Yo whazzzz happening triangle dude. I come and check this place out when I have a few minutes. You still banning people at will?
absolutely!
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #62
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
how much did this mod cost? i was just talkking to my wife last night about doing this to our garage.
Yo man, its about $500 total if you do all the work yourself. This includes 2 coats of epoxy, epoxy thinner, rollers, brushes, empty 5 gallon pails, masking tape, muriatic acid and acid brush, baking soda to neutralize acid, degreaser for cleaning (super clean is the best), and flakes. On a newly poured garage floor, labor is just a few hours prep + a couple of hours to apply the epoxy. On a used garage floor it took me about 2 weeks of working 1-2 hours a day after work. You have to get all of the grease off of the floor. Which takes alot of work and muscle.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #63
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klown View Post
Yo man, its about $500 total if you do all the work yourself. This includes 2 coats of epoxy, epoxy thinner, rollers, brushes, empty 5 gallon pails, masking tape, muriatic acid and acid brush, baking soda to neutralize acid, degreaser for cleaning (super clean is the best), and flakes. On a newly poured garage floor, labor is just a few hours prep + a couple of hours to apply the epoxy. On a used garage floor it took me about 2 weeks of working 1-2 hours a day after work. You have to get all of the grease off of the floor. Which takes alot of work and muscle.

sweet i have a brand new house just moved in nov 08. wow 500 bucks. little out of my price range. your garage looks awesome though. maybe some day
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #64
mkeeagle is on a distinguished road
Navy: IC3
mkeeagle's Tacoma Gallery
Klown,
Not sure if you would be able to answer this but I have a car port next to my garage and if has a BUNCH of salt holes in it. The slab was put in about two years ago and apparently the guy didn't seal it right or Milwaukee used some funky salt and it looks like crap. Not necessary to change the color but do you think that epoxy paint would make this slab look better or will I have to fill in all these holes up first before I doing the epoxy idea?

PS my new garage is going up April 15th so I will have to wait till after the pod is gone to do the slab then apparently 6 weeks to do the garage slab. Not sure what color. My truck is silver, wife's car is red, and the harley is Gold.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #66
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeagle View Post
Klown,
Not sure if you would be able to answer this but I have a car port next to my garage and if has a BUNCH of salt holes in it. The slab was put in about two years ago and apparently the guy didn't seal it right or Milwaukee used some funky salt and it looks like crap. Not necessary to change the color but do you think that epoxy paint would make this slab look better or will I have to fill in all these holes up first before I doing the epoxy idea?

PS my new garage is going up April 15th so I will have to wait till after the pod is gone to do the slab then apparently 6 weeks to do the garage slab. Not sure what color. My truck is silver, wife's car is red, and the harley is Gold.
As someone who works for a commercial epoxy floor installer, yes you need to fill in any and all "holes" in the concrete with a fast setting cementitious product. Most epoxies are not thick enough to fill those voids so they would telegraph through to the finished product.

When pouring your garage floor make sure they put a vapor barrier under the slab the help minimize water vapor migrating up through the concrete. I have seen epoxy pop off of floors due to moisture. Also make sure that you let the concrete cure for the recommended time typically 28 days but some manufactures like to see 60-90 days.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM   #67
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
As someone who works for a commercial epoxy floor installer, yes you need to fill in any and all "holes" in the concrete with a fast setting cementitious product. Most epoxies are not thick enough to fill those voids so they would telegraph through to the finished product.

When pouring your garage floor make sure they put a vapor barrier under the slab the help minimize water vapor migrating up through the concrete. I have seen epoxy pop off of floors due to moisture. Also make sure that you let the concrete cure for the recommended time typically 28 days but some manufactures like to see 60-90 days.
Looking over the contract I don't see any vapor barrier listed. How do I make sure?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #68
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
I am so envious. The previous owner of my house painted the garage floor with a cheap paint, so I would have to remove all of it before doing the epoxy route. He was a total idiot and couldn't screw in a light bulb without overtightening it......
Old 03-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #69
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I think I'm going to do this for flooring. http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...738&pCatg=6344 At Sams Club its about half the cost of that stuff elsewhere. Seems to be a pretty good solution, only down side is that I'll need enough for 3 bays. So its a little more $$ than the epoxy but it will be less work to install and I can have it put down in a day. Just not sure what a jack or jackstands might do to it. I guess worst case I put down a sheet of plywood when I use jackstands.
Silverback, this is an interesting product. Just reviewed the website for it. Let me know if you go this route and how you like it. I have a cheaply painted floor that has been lifted due to hot tires and this would be much easier than having to remove the paint before applying epoxy. Phil
Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Silverback, this is an interesting product. Just reviewed the website for it. Let me know if you go this route and how you like it. I have a cheaply painted floor that has been lifted due to hot tires and this would be much easier than having to remove the paint before applying epoxy. Phil
just talked to the wife, looks we are getting it for our new garage so I can let you know also. Not sure how long I should wait before I put it on the new garage floor though. I would like to put it on before I move the stuff back in there.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #71
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeeagle View Post
just talked to the wife, looks we are getting it for our new garage so I can let you know also. Not sure how long I should wait before I put it on the new garage floor though. I would like to put it on before I move the stuff back in there.
Based on what I read on the web site, waiting to warmer weather seems like a wise thing to do......depending on where you are. Still too cold in Charlotte.