1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    These are awesome.

2. Apr 8, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    There's a lot of cool stuff out there.

There's a method where you spray on a thin coat of concrete with a hopper (like you'd use to spray on texture) and then backfill it with hand pressed GFRC (glass fiber reinforced concrete). It creates a surface that's smooth like glass. It's also much lighter because it doesn't use rebar or wire for strength and can be much thinner than is typically required (1" to 1 1/2" thick).
    http://www.concretecountertopinstit...crete-countertops-using-gfrc/spraying-gfrc72/

Here's a sink my wife and I helped make in the concrete class. They demonstrated the technique as well as teaching a bit about moulding:
    concretesink.jpg

The fabric form concrete is really wild. They make molds with fabric and then spray on the concrete.

http://concretecaster.com/portfolio/

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Apr 8, 2014 at 6:27 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Wow, thats something I could get into as a hobby.

4. Apr 10, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd Ron F. Swanson

Member:
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab 4x4 V6 SR5
    What's going on with the drywall under the alcoves? Is that the hatches you were talking about?

5. Apr 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    No. It's a poorly done drywall seam that I'll have to go back over and fix. The hatch is actually the base of the alcove (piano hinge).

6. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
  7. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:16 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Wow good find. Woodcraft has good stuff albeit a bit pricey most of the time. I'll have to pick up a set.:D

8. Apr 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    ...if you have a store near you, you can do the woodcraft punch card, where you get 10% on every fifth visit... they also do local specials/events where you fill a bag up w/ as much stuff as you can and get 10% off all of it... I have a store a mile from me, ... the wallet gets exercised :D

9. Apr 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Thanks, my store is about 20 miles away. Keeps me from spending too much. I did take a raised panel door class there last year. Good price break for the students the day of the class:D

10. Apr 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Got most of the floors done this weekend. I still have some pieces to cut for the hallway and the stair landing. I also have to do the insides of the closets. I saved the closets for last in case I didn't have enough material. Looks like I've got plenty. We didn't have a lot of waste. After that we put some of the baseboards back on.

Dining Room:
    Floors Dining Room.jpg

While I was at work on Friday, my wife did about half the entry way and half the dining room. She used the jig saw, the chop saw and the table saw. She made some pretty clean cuts around some register holes. It just needed some minor trimming to fit. I finished the dining room and entry way on Saturday while she was working.
    Floors Dining Room1.jpg

On Sunday, my wife finished the little room next to the living room while I worked on the hallway.
    Living Room:
    Floors Living Room.jpg

Hall:
    Floors hall.jpg

My wife made some pillows for the couch. It's hard to see in the picture but the yellowish-gold pillows have a trim with hanging glass beads. She wants to reupholster a chair (same style as the couch) with the yellowish gold material. I bought her an air-powered Bostich stapler.
    Pillows1.jpg

Pillows2.jpg

11. Apr 14, 2014 at 5:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Looks great , I'm jelly , I can't wait to get back to working on my own house

12. Apr 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.

X2

One thing I have learned over the years is that no matter what trade you work in you never seem to have the time to apply the trade to your own home.

13. Apr 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods

Untrue
    My plumbing works just fine

14. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Prune juice FTMFW

15. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I was thinking more in the lines of the Bidet he has always wanted is still not installed. ;) :D

Very hard to work on the plumbing in your home from the beach. :cool:

16. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:08 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Land lord must be doing a good job then

17. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Very nice!!!!

what's on the floor? is that wood or ceramic tile? brand? color? :D

18. Apr 17, 2014 at 9:28 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    It's a handscraped engineered hardwood (6" width, varying lengths from 2-5 ft). I'll have to look at the receipt to get the exact name. We got a pretty good deal for it. It was $2.99/sq ft.

Edit: The brand is "Urban Floors" "Mountain Country Birch". The color is Prairie Gold.

http://www.urbanfloor.com/Birch-Prairie-Gold.html

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  19. Apr 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Someone posted several great "how to sheetrock & tape & mud" sites a long time ago. I searched but could not find them.

If you could repost those links or any other good "DIY Sheetrock" info. sites -- I would greatly appreciate it.

I can do many things, but have never done sheetrock and any and all advice would be appreciated. Planning on a 24' x 24' garage area, 2 utility rooms off the garage (walls and ceilings in all). Also some minor sheetrock work while redoing the kitchen and a hallway.

Maybe I am biting off more than I can chew on this project … :confused:

Thanks in advance … :)

PS … I love seeing the many projects posted here and how they evolve.

20. Apr 22, 2014 at 5:15 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Finally finished the upstairs bathroom. This thing almost killed my marriage and took waay too long, but hey, we did it ourselves and it looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top