Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #2501
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeRunner View Post
Thanks both of you. Apprenticeship through the Carpenter's Union? Or should I be looking more on the builder/contractor side of things and see if someone recognizes that I'm not a waste of their time?

I'm 29 and reasonably intelligent, know how things work but haven't done everything hands on, just theoretical(?). Like to work with my hands and build things/fix things. 6'6" and 285lbs so not built so much for crawl spaces or attics, however.
Research some companies that tend to stay busy. Be willing to be a laborer to start.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #2502
PeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedPeeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PeeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the insights. If you have any more advice/info/tips please share, or PM me.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #2504
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post
What do you guys think is the best way to trim this AC?

Make a nice wood frame to go around it.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #2505
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do you guys think is the best way to trim this AC?
Why isn't it fully inserted in the case?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #2507
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It is fully inserted. The new AC is about two inches deeper than the old one. The don't make anything that fits perfectly into my 30 year old box.
Ah. Makes sense, and I guess you don't want to change out the case.

Given that the location is around moisture, I'd look at some PVC trim. You could screw together a simple frame to cover the gap, or possibly rip some to cover the entire area between the face and the wall.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #2508
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Ah. Makes sense, and I guess you don't want to change out the case.
My HOA won't let me change out the case without paying an assessment fee and getting approval. In my opinion it's much more hassle than it's worth.

Did a quickie trim job with some scrap wood. Came out okay for maybe 10 minutes worth of work.

I'm probably going to go to the lumber yard and pick up 6" trim which will go all the way to the wall. I may also use aluminum vent tape to seal off the gap underneath.

Next step: water damage repair ha.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #2509
Backdoor Commentator

Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #2510
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

I've been working on my own house the last couple weeks which has been great . I'm currently trimming out all of my doors .

The material is VG Fir , the top trim is a 4 element build up

Building up the top

Top complete , plinths on

Plinths

Sides fitted , door complete

Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #2511
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Did you make the doors as well Oz? They are very nice.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #2512
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SH7mi View Post
... ^^^ ... That was my question too ...
Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #2513
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

No , I bought these doors , but I have made similar doors in the past , I just didn't have the time while I was building the house
Old 08-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #2514
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome oz
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #2515
PkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of lightPkTaco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: David
PkTaco's Tacoma Gallery
OZ what kind of trim do you prefer? Shoe or quarter round? Do you make it yourself or buy it?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #2516
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Door Casing looks awesome! I have to case an entry way that I widened when I bought the house between the living room and kitchen - wish I had the tools and know-how to make the trim. Probably going to just get some 1X6 pieces from HD and cut them to length.

Very Jealous.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 AM   #2517
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That doorway is wayyy to thin...

Old 08-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #2518
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
Unless Oz or his wife weigh 400lbs the width is fine, besides the pic is deceiving
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #2519

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
Looks awesome oz

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PkTaco View Post
OZ what kind of trim do you prefer? Shoe or quarter round? Do you make it yourself or buy it?

Not sure what you are referring to as there is nether of those trim styles in the door trims but yes , I did mill all of the trim elements myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Door Casing looks awesome! I have to case an entry way that I widened when I bought the house between the living room and kitchen - wish I had the tools and know-how to make the trim. Probably going to just get some 1X6 pieces from HD and cut them to length.

Very Jealous.
Take your time and trim a little off until they fit , you might suprise yourself , 1/2 the battle is allowing yourself the time to get it perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
That doorway is wayyy to thin...

ADA suck my balls

Quote:
Unless Oz or his wife weigh 400lbs the width is fine, besides the pic is deceiving

It's a 2'6" door , the pic is a bit of an optical illusion , the ceiling height in that end of the house is 7'6" , I'm shooting the pic through another doorway and it's close to the corner so the door looks tall and skinny
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #2520
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Oz, as usual, looks great.

How do you attach the trim to the wall? Is that brad/trim nails I see in the top piece? If so, are they countersunk and do you plan on filling the holes?

Products Discussed in this Thread