1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Dec 26, 2014 at 4:40 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Dave, don't tighten any of those screws just yet. Windows must be plumbed on installation, and some screws are tighter than others to fully achieve this. Examine the exterior for signs of caulking failure, and check the windows for functionality.

If you opted for a home inspection when you bought the house, you should have recourse with the inspection company for a full year. You paid good money for that inspection, which is in itself an insurance policy against just this sort of thing.

If you hire it out, call the manufacturer for a licenced installer as your best option. It's not a major problem in any case, but if you'd like to do it yourself, check the window's operation before you start, and again after EACH screw you install. You will not need more than two screws per side, it's not going anywhere.

When secure, examine the exterior caulking again, even if it appeared good before youy started.

2. Dec 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Do you have trim on the outside around the window? It looks like you do in one picture. You should be able you remove the trim and secure the window.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Dec 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Thanks for the response. Yeah, when we did the home inspection. I would of noticed this too. But I don't recall it at all. I would of pointed that out and asked for repair. I followed him around as he checked everything. And he allowed me extra time to double check too. (Nice guy and fellow Taco owner ) Window opens and closes just fine. Doesn't seem like it's binding top or bottom. Exterior caulking looks to be in tact.
    Thanks for response also. Exterior around that window outside is vinyl siding. So to get to the frame of the window outside would be a huge pain in the ass.

4. Dec 26, 2014 at 5:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Are you sure the trim and caulking hasn't shrunk away from the window ?

5. Dec 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I guess it could have some since it's winter. But I can move the bottom of the window. Probably about a quarter to 3/8 of an inch it'll move.

6. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:07 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I doubt the movement in the window is a new thing

7. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:21 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    You're probably right. Doesn't change the fact that I'm uncomfortable with it.

I don't think it's going to fall out, but with young kids, it makes me nervous.

8. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    Those are standard punch windows.. Should have a screw (or two) into each jamb at the four corners. They would be inside the mullions though so to access them, you'd have to disassemble the entire thing practically. If it's not extremely loose, i'd say it's not worth the work to try and tighten the screws. As long as you're not getting water inside on the sill, you should be fine - the window isn't going to fall out, so water and air infiltration would be your biggest concerns at this point. Personally I would just reseal it with silicone from the inside and inspect the exterior. There should be a continuous bead of sealant between the jambs/sill/head and the frame, and that has likely failed or wasn't installed correctly.

Any idea of how old the house is and if they're original windows?

9. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Thanks.

House was built in the 60's. These are definitely replacement windows. I believe a lot of the house was updated about 8 to 10 years ago. Including the windows. I'm not completely sure. Just little bits of info I got from neighbors.

No water that I've noticed. Actually don't feel any cold air either. I definitely planned on doing new caulking.

10. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:47 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    Alright. Reason I asked is because building sealants have set life expectancy, so that could be why they failed. Urethane and acrylic are generally around 10 years and silicone is good for about 20.

Just because you don't feel any air, doesn't mean it's air tight. That's a different conversation though lol I'd be more worried about water anyways.. Water would leave signs of staining, calcium deposits, bubbling of paint on the Sheetrock, and wet carpet. I do a lot of stuff like this for a living and water is always the biggest concern. I'd say if you can, get some caulking between the frame and sill, but at least repair the frame-to-sill bead. If it isn't leaking, I wouldn't advise tearing into the window system to try and tighten the screws, unless you're planning on a total replacement. Too much of a risk damaging some flashing or air/moisture barrier which would require the entire window being removed to properly fix.

It might move a little bit, but it's not going to fall out. I would at least start with caulking and see if that tightens stuff up. If not, and you're still worried about it, try and find a reputable window installer to take a look. They shouldn't charge much to fix something like that. It's just a lot easier to diagnose it in person.

11. Dec 26, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    Ok. Thank you. I'm going to get the old caulking off the sill, and put some new on and see how that goes.

It's hard wood floors. And no water damage to them. My only real concern was for my kids. These are tall windows too. Almost floor to ceiling. Maybe about a foot off the floor. So my kids have easy access and can push on them. And this one is a nice drop to my concrete driveway. So you can understand my concern.

12. Dec 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:

Yes I definitely see why youre concerned. I'm just speaking from my experience, I don't think there would be any problems at all, but at the same time no one would blame you for hiring someone to take a look just for peace of mind. It shouldn't be expensive. Ultimately it's whatever your comfortable with for your family. Lol for myself I would be ok with just caulking, but if I had kids that could very well be completely different. About 98% of the punch windows I've seen like that have screws in each corner and are set in a bed of sealant/caulking though, and from what you described I think some new silicone will help a lot. :)

13. Dec 26, 2014 at 9:32 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

14. Dec 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    A little off the normal subject question here: the house we just bought has a 50 gallon electric water heater that is about 8 years old. With a house of 3 kids, plus me and my wife, we frequently run out of hot water during shower time at night, even with spacing them apart. I've been looking at these new hybrid hot water heaters. I found an 80 gallon one with a $500 rebate from my power company. Does anyone on here have experience with the hybrids? They claim to save you $30+ a month. We do NOT have access to natural gas either.

15. Dec 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Before you spend money on a new water heater, connect your garden hose to the drain valve and let 'er rip for 2 minutes. This will clear out all the accumulated sand and small pebbles that come through the water system. The sand insulates the bottom, which confounds the operation of the heater. You'll need a pair of pliers for that valve, as it seldom gets opened and will be cheapo quality. There will also be a temperature setting you can adjust a bit hotter.

16. Dec 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    If you're concerned about the glass breaking, you could instal a temporary sheet of plexi or acrylic until they're old enough to understand "don't lean on the window". Shouldn't be more than 20-25 yrs. lol

17. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:46 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

There is a plumber forum on here somewhere found this interesting review on it:

joem1k

Date:July 30, 2014

Unstallled unit over a year ago. Installing it was no different than a regular water heater with the exception of installing a drain line.Electric saving started on day 1 and continue to today. I live in SW Florida so it runs in Hybrid mode only. It is in my gagage and cools the garage also. Love this product

How in the heck does a water heater cool a garage in florida?

18. Dec 28, 2014 at 5:49 AM
    Kolunatic

Kolunatic Broke ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 DC peerunner
    Good question. I've installed a few. Just a few.
    I'm not getting one due to the cost. I can get a new elec for 250ish. I can't spend 1800 to get the savings spread out in yrs.

19. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    LOL. That's actually not a bad idea. I wasn't worried about the glass so much as the window being loose.

20. Dec 28, 2014 at 6:14 AM
    PkTaco

PkTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Zanesville Ohio
    Merry Christmas to me.[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top