1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Home Improvement Today?

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Hotdog, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I would glue and screw the layers together

2. Jan 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    Yeah I was planning that, but also heard to use Rosen nails, .( like roofing nails) to hold down second layer. Always go with instinct, right. And I use liquid nails as the glue

3. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If you do use nails , they should be ring shank

4. Jan 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Why would it be bad to screw into the joist?

5. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    This????

6. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    The screws being pushed out by the joists shrinking/drying out. It really only makes sense in new construction when you are framing with joists that have a high moisture content. I was on a framing job for the state, we did 72 residential units, every one need a second layer of plywood in the kitchen and bathrooms. The architect wanted a screw every 4" and no screws in the joist. That sucked.

7. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You don't use Kiln Dried framing material ? WTF

8. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Ya i do. Still shrinks. I still screw into the joists especially if its not new construction, but that specific job we didnt. There was 8 units from the first phase of the job that had nail pops like crazy in the subfloor so the architect was probably just paranoid. We had reps from the lumber mill come out to test moisture content, the material sat outside to long and it was over 19%

9. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    May e they cut trees down and plane them into boards and right to being used?

Never heard of non kiln dried lumber being used for residential framing, or any framing. Except decking lumber which is usually dripping wet with chemicals :) smell great when burned, smoke clears the sinus's ;)

10. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Glue and ring nail > screws on a subfloor IMO

11. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    The ring shanks were the ones that popped. We started off glueing and screwing, but the job was all about speed. The architect and the state signed off on using ring shanks so we swithed to those. There was a year gap between the first and the sencond phase, by the time the second phase started we had to switch back to screws because off all the nail pops from the first phase. The nail pops resulted in a $450,000 lawsuit, everyone pointing fingers. Thats why a rep from the lumber mill had to come out. The majority of the houses were done with floor and roof trusses, but some of them had to be conventionally framed, those were the ones with the issues because of the wet lumber.

12. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    Speed and building almost always results in problems. If building our own home, speed would never be the plan. But we allow it to happen to others. ( not pointing at you at all) I sell home improvements, so I understand

13. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Nail pops where ?

14. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    The subfloor. They came up right through carpeting and linoleum. I know its pretty much unheard of, but the nails came up everywhere, whole joists.

15. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Nails don't lift from joist shrinkage , they come through the finished surface when the plywood shrinks , unless they were not shot into the joists or there was excessive movement in the joists and the worked themselves up which also shouldn't happen if the floor is glued because the joist shrinkage will be at the bottom of the joist

16. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I completely agree. That job was a clusterfuck. People getting hurt, stuff being done wrong. I hated it by the end but now i miss it because the pay was great.

17. Jan 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I agree there is many other factors but i think joist shrinkage definitely plays a role in it, especially if the moisture content is to high. You would know better than me tho, i just have the opinion because of what happened on that particular job.

18. Jan 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Well , think about it

The nail gets shot through the 3/4" plywood into a 2x10 joist that because of moisture content is 9 1/2" , if the joist shrinks down to 9 1/4" and the plywood is still in contact with the top of the joist due to glue , how does the nail get further exposed ? The only way for that to happen is if the plywood was swollen at the time of nailing , or the nails were not driven completely , or there was excessive vertical movement ( flex ) and the nail worked it's way up which shouldn't happen with a ring shank

19. Jan 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    grissom

grissom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    NorCal
    It looks cool but I bet it would be a bitch to keep clean...

20. Jan 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    I was thinking more along the lines of the grain tightening and the nail losing its hold due to shrinkage. Then other factors you mentioned like momevent in the joist and the joist or subfloor swelling and shrinking because of changes in humidity would help work the nail out. The houses were framed in the summer and its ushually really humid here in the summer, plus the framing was to wet. The nail pops happened in the winter when everyone turned the heat on and dried out their homes. Im not trying to argue with you, and i am not one of those guys that thinks they know everything, ive been in carpentry since i was 18 and i am still learning new things all the time.

Products Discussed in

To Top