Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #1121
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
So I started out with a wood burner sitting on top of some kind of stone work. had no idea what was behind it or under it or anything.

Got rid of the wood burner to the garage. Going to put in gas logs. had to tear down the stone.

Started with this...
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-img-20130402-00249.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #1122
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Ended up looking like this behind the walls. With about 8 inches of solid concrete for the base.

Just installed on drywall with concrete ties every 2 feet or so. I hate messing with stuff I didn't do. I always find something that causes me more trouble.

Guess im renting a jackhammer this weekend for the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-img-20130403-00250.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-img-20130403-00251.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-img-20130403-00252.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #1123
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Damn.. That looks like a huge pain in the ass
Old 04-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #1124
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm building some window boxes out of cedar pickets and pressure treated pine. I am winging it as far as the design goes and I want to know if anyone has any comments on how I built them ie: how to build them sturdier, etc.

They are pretty sturdy already and I'm going to line them with landscaping fabric and drill 4 holes in the bottom for drainage. Also, the ends will be closed up, left them off to see the frames better.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #1125
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
For some reason, I don't think these should have come up that easy nor do I think the slab should be that clean...looks like either a crappy thinset or builder hired someone who didn't know wtf they were doing...I think a little of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-img_4405.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-img_7486.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #1126
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
For some reason, I don't think these should have come up that easy nor do I think the slab should be that clean...looks like either a crappy thinset or builder hired someone who didn't know wtf they were doing...I think a little of both.
Be happy
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #1127
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Be happy
very true...these 3 were cracked so that must be why.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #1128
Born in the Backwoods

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Damn.. That looks like a huge pain in the ass
I was being cheap last night and tried to bust it with a sledge. Laid an old blanket down to stop the pieces from flying everywhere, and stepped back and took a big hit. Sounded like somebody hitting two pieces of metal together and my sledge bounced about 3 foot in the air. My arms tingled for like 5 minutes....lol

Off to the rental shop tomorrow morning. Big demo hammer or just a regular jack hammer.

I might try to drill some holes in it tonight just to try and give it a path to crack.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #1129
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
We started our kitchen renovation. Here are some shots of the original.

We took down all the wall paper and demo'd the countertop. We're going to do a concrete countertop like we did in the laundry room. Here's a shot with the countertop gone. We also took down some cabinets over the bar area to open it up.

I was curious what was under the tile. Turns out it was about 1 1/2" thick concrete, which they then covered over with tile.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-kitchen-bar.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-paper2.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-20130405_145836.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-20130405_152149.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-20130405_145858.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #1130
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Got all the tile off the walls. I also took out the range hood. The previous owners were short so the hood was real low. There's a small extension piece between the hood and the curve in the soffit so it should give us about 3 1/2" of extra height. The hood ducting in the picture was at about the height of the line running on the back wall and around the cabinet.

Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-20130406_171032.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #1131
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
... ^^^ ... good luck EM ... looks like fun ...
Old 04-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #1132

So the drywall is pretty beat up from removing the old tile and it needs to be replaced. I'm going to install two types of tile for a backsplash, horizontal glass/metal mosaic tile similar to this but lighter and stainless steel tiles. What should I put up on the walls after taking the drywall out? Hardibacker? Also, what adhesive should I use?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1133
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Hardibacker would be ideal, but since it is on the walls it might be a little overkill. Couldnt you just use some green board, that water resistant drywall?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #1134
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
So the drywall is pretty beat up from removing the old tile and it needs to be replaced. I'm going to install two types of tile for a backsplash, horizontal glass/metal mosaic tile similar to this but lighter and stainless steel tiles. What should I put up on the walls after taking the drywall out? Hardibacker? Also, what adhesive should I use?
In the kitchen ?

Regular drywall
Old 04-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #1135

Quote:
In the kitchen ?

Regular drywall
Yes, kitchen. I've read that drywall is not preferred because it soaks up water. The old backspash was drywall covered with cement board (looked like 3/4" cement board).
Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #1136

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, kitchen. I've read that drywall is not preferred because it soaks up water. The old backspash was drywall covered with cement board (looked like 3/4" cement board).
Soaks up water from where ?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #1137

Quote:
Soaks up water from where ?
I don't know. Sink spills maybe or steam from cooking pots? Some say it's okay, some say it's not. One guy said if it's painted it's fine. I just want to make sure it's something that will last. If I use drywall, does it have to be sealed with something prior to tiling?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #1138

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know. Sink spills maybe or steam from cooking pots? Some say it's okay, some say it's not. One guy said if it's painted it's fine. I just want to make sure it's something that will last. If I use drywall, does it have to be sealed with something prior to tiling?
We never use anything but regular drywall in kitchens , never had a problem

Drywall should be primed with a drywall sealer , I usually do that before the cabinets are installed
Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #1139

Quote:
We never use anything but regular drywall in kitchens , never had a problem

Drywall should be primed with a drywall sealer , I usually do that before the cabinets are installed
Okay cool. What about an adhesive that works for glass and stainless tile?

I've seen some that say mastic if fine while others say thinset with an additive.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #1140

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Okay cool. What about an adhesive that works for glass and stainless tile?

I've seen some that say mastic if fine while others say thinset with an additive.
I'm not entirely certain what is best but it is important to use the correct adhesive for whatever particular tile , also back buttering can be required on glass tile cause sometimes trowel notches can telegraph through

Products Discussed in this Thread