Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1641
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Verticle grain is quarter sawn correct? I guess quarter sawn is more of a hardwood term. I would love to get my hands on some old growth. I might have some questions for you soon. Im building some slight radius archway panels in a few weeks.
Not necessarily quarter sawn , but the logs are cut to have the vertical grain rather than the flat grain presented across the width of the board

Pm me anytime
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1642
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Finally getting around to trimming out the windows

.... ^^^ ... Love this setup (windows & trim & colors) .... would like to copy it exactly if I had a place t do it.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #1643
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post
OZ ... did you personally do that trim work ?
Yes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #1644
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes
WOW ... very impressed ... You only see that kind of quality here in $3 mill and up houses and maybe not even then.

You remind me of my buddy, John (he was like a brother) who was helping me on my 15 year house project here. He could do everything well. He fell off a ladder 2 years ago on another job (2 weeks before his 50th birthday) on a hot summer day, hit his head on an outdoor A/C unit and died on the spot. Very sad day it was.

Since then I have had to do everything myself with the help of my mexican helper buddy that I have trained from a superb painter to a carpenter and trim man. It takes us 3 times as long and the quality is not 100% of what John did, but we try.

As I have gotten older, my hands are not as good as they used to be ... but I have to finish this job in the next 12 months to move on when my wife retires.

Its a shame you don't live closer as I have a lot of super quality tools (all types) that I need to dispose of when I am finished here.

You do excellent work (craftsman quality) my friend ...
Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #1645

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Sorry to hear about your friend
Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #1646
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
I think OZ needs a build thread consisting of his carpentry work
Old 09-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #1647

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate the kind words but keep in mind I've been paid to practice this stuff for the last 25 years , I'm more impressed by the great results shown in this thread from guys taking these projects on during weekends

Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #1649
4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4lo's Tacoma Gallery
Blown away man! That's all we do here in Austin(window crap,3rd generation carpenter), your work is exceptional. The average fellow has no idea what goes into that type of finish. Kudos.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #1650
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
So, we want to have our outside front lights to come on whenever the sun goes down. Currently all 3 are wired to one switch by the front door. Is there a way to do this? Anyone have suggestions for a sensor of sorts?
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #1651
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I use one of these for my front porch. You can just set it up for sunrise and sunset on/off times.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-Way-...3#.UizMEMbbOSo

Or depending what kind of lights you have you may be able to just get one of those add on photo cells

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westek-15...9#.UizOZsbbOSo
Old 09-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #1652
4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed4lo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4lo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
So, we want to have our outside front lights to come on whenever the sun goes down. Currently all 3 are wired to one switch by the front door. Is there a way to do this? Anyone have suggestions for a sensor of sorts?
Try this. Cheap and easy.
http://www.amazon.com/Woods-59405-Ou.../dp/B003Z4IDXE
Old 09-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #1653
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lamination 2 of 7 clamped up

how does that plywood clamp system work? I've never seen that before.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1654
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
I used this photocell to control my low voltage transformer.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_6311-30209-F...cell&facetInfo=
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #1655

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
how does that plywood clamp system work? I've never seen that before.
It's really pretty basic , it's just some 3/4" plywood strips , in this case 2" wide x 4 " long , with a 3" screw through the middle , when you tighten the screw it pulls the plywood in , compressing whatever is between it and the wall .

The material to be clamped is on the top side of the screw , and below the screw I insert a block that is the thickness of the material I am clamping so that the clamping force is straight in the direction of the screw .

The fender washers on each clamp block are there so the screw head will not suck into the plywood so I can re-use the blocks multiple times

This system is also how I clamp the pieces when I attach them with the biscuit joiner to the window liners

In this particular application there are also some plywood L's holding the trims being laminated at the correct height to pull against the curved window liner

There is also a strip of wax paper between the lamination and the liners and L's to keep it from all bonding together
Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #1656
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's really pretty basic , it's just some 3/4" plywood strips , in this case 2" wide x 4 " long , with a 3" screw through the middle , when you tighten the screw it pulls the plywood in , compressing whatever is between it and the wall .

The material to be clamped is on the top side of the screw , and below the screw I insert a block that is the thickness of the material I am clamping so that the clamping force is straight in the direction of the screw .

The fender washers on each clamp block are there so the screw head will not suck into the plywood so I can re-use the blocks multiple times

This system is also how I clamp the pieces when I attach them with the biscuit joiner to the window liners

In this particular application there are also some plywood L's holding the trims being laminated at the correct height to pull against the curved window liner

There is also a strip of wax paper between the lamination and the liners and L's to keep it from all bonding together
So there's 36 holes in the wall that will need patching?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #1657

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
Nope , the apron trim goes over the holes

The bottom trim elements are 1" tall , applied stool , 3 3/16" apron , 7/16" " hat "

The total build up is almost 5" , lots of coverage for the screw holes
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #1658
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Tore out a window and door on Saturday. Replaced pretty much the whole wall and put the new window in. I sent pics to live but can't get em here on my phone. Whole project turned out pretty decent. Now I have to finish the siding on that wall and start to drywall the inside
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #1659

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
The line represents the bottom of my trim build up once complete , covers any damage

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #1660
My spoon is too Big!

xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope , the apron trim goes over the holes

The bottom trim elements are 1" tall , applied stool , 3 3/16" apron , 7/16" " hat "

The total build up is almost 5" , lots of coverage for the screw holes
Quote:
The line represents the bottom of my trim build up once complete , covers any damage

Excellent. From the earlier pictures, it looked to me as if the holes for the L brackets were going to land too low.

Products Discussed in this Thread