Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Home Improvement Today?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #1781
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERMB View Post
Wow, just stumbled across this thread. Cant believe I haven't seen it before.
Here's my slow cheap kitchen remodel.
We just moved in over the summer and decided that1978 had to go. With very little money, alot of creative reuse of most of the old cabinets, this remodel has slowed down to a crawl. So much finish work left to do, but thats the most satisfying part.
We took down 2 walls, kitchen/dining rm and a hallway along with a half wall separating the kitchen and family rm.
Now were open from front to back.
looks good so far. question though in pic #5, one of those wasn't a load bearing wall was it? seems like a big area without any support.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #1782
ERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
There are 3 lvl's lammed together up into the ceiling that is showing about 3 inches in the pic. One side is tied into the sill plate on the outside wall and on the other side is tied into a lolly in the basement. The pics don't really do the space justice, so much more open so much light. Just need to find time to work on it.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #1783
Ron F. Swanson
JaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedJaSkynyrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JaSkynyrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERMB View Post
Wow, just stumbled across this thread. Cant believe I haven't seen it before.
Here's my slow cheap kitchen remodel.
We just moved in over the summer and decided that1978 had to go. With very little money, alot of creative reuse of most of the old cabinets, this remodel has slowed down to a crawl. So much finish work left to do, but thats the most satisfying part.
We took down 2 walls, kitchen/dining rm and a hallway along with a half wall separating the kitchen and family rm.
Now were open from front to back.
I like your island.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #1784
ERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shedERMB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ERMB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
I like your island.
Thanks, its made from some leftover cabinets and and a couple of new ones wrapped in pallet wood. Not your every day pallets. Found some huge pallets made of 1"thick oak and maple. My wife wants to go with a beach style look for the 3 rooms.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #1785
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
No pictures of it, but I just had my oil furnace replaced with a high efficiency gas furnace and a new a/c system. Now I just have to get rid of the old oil and tank

Also had all of the 60 year old windows replaced with Anderson renewal windows, so hopefully my heating bill this winter is nothing compared to last year.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #1786
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
This is a week or so behind, but I ripped the entire 2nd floor bathroom down to nothing to try and redo it the correct way. The subfloor was only 1/2" OSB, removed it and placed 3/4" T&G. Putting down the thinset and hardibacker this weekend to prep for the tub install, then time to tile!

Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #1787
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
This is a week or so behind, but I ripped the entire 2nd floor bathroom down to nothing to try and redo it the correct way. The subfloor was only 1/2" OSB, removed it and placed 3/4" T&G. Putting down the thinset and hardibacker this weekend to prep for the tub install, then time to tile!

Nice. I'd be interested to see as much detail as you want to share. I only have one bathroom so when I gut it I need to get it back together fast. I don't have any tile experience but I figured I would have to replace the plywood with 3/4" tongue and groove.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #1788
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
Nice. I'd be interested to see as much detail as you want to share. I only have one bathroom so when I gut it I need to get it back together fast. I don't have any tile experience but I figured I would have to replace the plywood with 3/4" tongue and groove.
Replacing the plywood is only necessary if the old subfloor is rotted and beat to shit, or if there is <3/4".

The old floor I had was 2 X 1/2" OSB layered and glued, but the previous owners had some massive shower spillage which rotted/molded the floor. Instead of cut and place patch pieces, I decided to go the Tim Taylor route and just rip it all up. I am sure I have screwed up somewhere along the way, but the 3/4" T&G does not move or squeak. I had to cut some shim strips along the edges where the circular saw couldn't get (hence a 1-1/2" overhang around all the edges). Installed some 2X4 blocks all along the edges as a solid foundation for the new subfloor to sit on.

I will be sure to document the whole process going forward so you can see what not to do!
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #1789
New 3/4" T&G subfloor down with some 1/4" filler strips around the edges to keep it level. Have a slight crown at the subfloor seam, but after the thinset/hardibacker goes down, I will pour some self-leveling cement to get everything flat for my tiles.

Hoping to get the tub replumbed and installed this weekend so I can tile and begin placing sheetrock on the walls.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #1790

JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 11-05-2013, 06:19 AM   #1791
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
My stepson welded together a stand for my wine barrel cooler.

Attached Thumbnails
Home Improvement Today?-cooler-stand.jpg   Home Improvement Today?-cooler-stand1.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #1792
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post

sweet
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #1793
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post

Really nice
Old 11-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #1794
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Installing some Fir closet organizer cabinets today

Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #1795
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Oh , and on the cabinet installation front , I got to use my newest edition for the first time

Verdict : I love this thing

Mine is the Professional Large version

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...69&cat=51&ap=4
Old 11-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #1796
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Installing some Fir closet organizer cabinets today

Thats nice. You should come do my house now.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1797

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Thats nice. You should come do my house now.
Have Gun , Will Travel
Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #1798
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Thats awesome. You guys use alot of fir up there. Those raised panel doors are cool, i have never seen one done like that. Are they throughout the whole house?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #1799

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Home Improvement Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Thats awesome. You guys use alot of fir up there. Those raised panel doors are cool, i have never seen one done like that. Are they throughout the whole house?
It's a 5 panel door which replicates an old door style , yes , all the doors in the house are this style except a couple leaded glass doors
Old 11-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #1800
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, old 5 panels will fetch a pretty penny.

Products Discussed in this Thread